Chainsaws

And now it's makita

Zoo City Sawz
I knew they had been working hand in hand for a long time, but didn't realize they had merged. That's one of the few merger/buyouts that might actually be a good thing. Wonder if the big box stores will start carrying Dolmar (or Makita branded Dolmar) chainsaws?

I knew they had been working hand in hand for a long time, but didn't realize they had merged. That's one of the few merger/buyouts that might actually be a good thing. Wonder if the big box stores will start carrying Dolmar (or Makita branded Dolmar) chainsaws?
I've been told Home Depot keeps Makita ...we got no home Depot in Asheboro

Zoo City Sawz

Yeah....I'll get right ON that one

makita.JPG

I've been told Home Depot keeps Makita ...we got no home Depot in Asheboro

Zoo City Sawz
Apparently they at least sell some of the nicer Dolkitas:
upload_2017-10-24_10-3-16.png

Go with what you like,

And what you can get parts for locally. I own Stihl everything because I can get whatever parts I need at Farmers Feed and Seed in K'ville.

And what you can get parts for locally. I own Stihl everything because I can get whatever parts I need at Farmers Feed and Seed in K'ville.
Never really been an issue for me, but I'm not doing it professionally either. It is nice to be able to run get a chain on saturday afternoon, as long as its before 2pm or whatever time they close... Everytime I go in the local Stihl dealer, they want twice what it costs online, and have to order the part half the time anyway. Its often faster and always cheaper to get it from Amazon/Ebay.

Never really been an issue for me, but I'm not doing it professionally either. It is nice to be able to run get a chain on saturday afternoon, as long as its before 2pm or whatever time they close... Everytime I go in the local Stihl dealer, they want twice what it costs online, and have to order the part half the time anyway. Its often faster and always cheaper to get it from Amazon/Ebay.

I've had a fuel line break and a bar oil cap break while I was working on a Saturday, and it was nice to drive up there, get the parts and be back working minutes later.

Where do you buy your parts online?

I love that this happens every year.

Glad it does. This time last year I didn't give 2 flying craps about a chain saw (HOA, no substantial trees in my yard) but now I've got 5 acres of nothing but massive hardwoods with potential to shed limbs like a husky shedding fur in the summer

Glad it does. This time last year I didn't give 2 flying craps about a chain saw (HOA, no substantial trees in my yard) but now I've got 5 acres of nothing but massive hardwoods with potential to shed limbs like a husky shedding fur in the summer

You're gonna need a wood stove.

You're gonna need a wood stove.
Plan to have one in the basement of the house, and one in the shop. Haven't determined if the shop one will be plumbed to a heat exchanger and pumped thru the slab or not

On a related note, I went to clemmons today to the only place that Dolmar had listed as a dealer. Just to axe questions (see what I did there? Saw thread....axe....)

The old guy (Jack) said Dolmar is no more (just like what Matt was saying about Makita) ...but they have the EXACT chainsaw in a line called Maruyama. Was pushing it pretty hard. Priced about the same as Echo. I just said thanks, and asked if he could repair my Poulan (since I got the guilt trip from @awheelterd) but he said if it ate the fuel pickup line from the tank then the carb needed rebuilt and all new hoses. He said it wouldn't be less than $100 to repair. (kinda what I thought)

Time to head over to Farmers feed and seed and look at echo and stihl again

Maruyama is good stuff, big out in Arkansas. My buddy that moved down there was telling me about them. Their 50cc model is good for harder than homeowner duty from what he was telling me. Me personally, I'll keep my yellow and black bumblebees (pre 94 McCulloch, mostly Titan models)

On a related note, I went to clemmons today to the only place that Dolmar had listed as a dealer. Just to axe questions (see what I did there? Saw thread....axe....)

The old guy (Jack) said Dolmar is no more (just like what Matt was saying about Makita) ...but they have the EXACT chainsaw in a line called Maruyama. Was pushing it pretty hard. Priced about the same as Echo. I just said thanks, and asked if he could repair my Poulan (since I got the guilt trip from @awheelterd) but he said if it ate the fuel pickup line from the tank then the carb needed rebuilt and all new hoses. He said it wouldn't be less than $100 to repair. (kinda what I thought)

Time to head over to Farmers feed and seed and look at echo and stihl again
I like people like you. I have a push mower, a stihl chainsaw, a stihl leaf blower, a craftsman chainsaw and a pouland leaf blower all from people who bought new stuff when theirs needed a little work. Granted, only the stihl chainsaw and the push mower currently run but let's not talk about that :lol:

I've had a fuel line break and a bar oil cap break while I was working on a Saturday, and it was nice to drive up there, get the parts and be back working minutes later.

They are definitely convenient for those kind of things. For online stuff, I generally just Google the part number and buy from wherever is cheapest, which is usually eBay.

I like people like you.

I have to say if @CasterTroy had a ball string, a AA battery, and a clump of tin foil, I bet he could MacGyver almost anything back together. :D I saw his Poulan yesterday, and to me, it is not worth the $100 to repair it either; the PO probably ran straight ethanol in it haha

Look for a used Stihl. I bought my 029 Farmboss off this website 11 years ago from Blackvoodoo. I have probably cut down and cut up 125-150 trees with it. I just put gas in it and run it. I haven't even replaced the spark plug, LOL.

Any place around here that is a Stihl dealer would have been closed on a Saturday, so they do me no good.

Look for a used Stihl. I bought my 029 Farmboss off this website 11 years ago from Blackvoodoo. I have probably cut down and cut up 125-150 trees with it. I just put gas in it and run it. I haven't even replaced the spark plug, LOL.

With this recent storm that came through, I suspect you will be able to find a lightly used saw in the coming weeks. All the stores around here are sold out right now.

I dropped the hammer on a new stihl 250 today, on sale for 299$, 50 dollars off.

I have used many other saws and this thing blows them out the water, very balanced.

Dealer said a week left on the sale on the 250

asked if he could repair my Poulan (since I got the guilt trip from @awheelterd) but he said if it ate the fuel pickup line from the tank then the carb needed rebuilt and all new hoses. He said it wouldn't be less than $100 to repair. (kinda what I thought)

I just bought a kit off of Amazon with a carb, fuel lines, primer bulb, filters (air and fuel), and gaskets for $16 to fix up the little poulan I bought at a yard sale for 5 bucks. It runs already but the high speed circuit in the carb is full of fuel line gunk. For $15 it's not worth the trouble to disassemble the carb to clean it.

I'm gonna muffler mod it and maybe play with the ports to see how mean I can make it. I've got a big Husky that I'd rather not blow up but I'm gonna get stupid with this thing since I've got nothing in it.

Back