Chasing a dream

I think you whip out your old buddy Benjaminz, post up on the netterwebz, and hope for the best. The offroad community does a decent job of taking care of their own.

This here. All of the above. I’ll figure it out when that happens. But I have to wheel totally different to do this, so I’m doing my best to truly enjoy it but try to wheel for the long run.
I expect issues, and will rely on the off road community for help rather that be someone willing to help me or people that just point me in the right direction to people in the area, fingers crossed lol.

Oh I’m not worried bout being cold, the furnace does well it just burns up the propane. Not a big deal staying comfy, I just have to prepare for frozen pipes. Couple heated hoses, pool noodles and such and I think I’ll be fine. Maybe I should record that stuff for the YouTube channel?

Once I get to TN I will be putting up insulated skirting, which will keep the underside warmer and keep wind out. I just really hate to put that up now, just to take it right back down after Christmas and set right back up again. I’m gambling here but we will see if I learn the hard way or not lol.

Oh I’m not worried bout being cold, the furnace does well it just burns up the propane. Not a big deal staying comfy, I just have to prepare for frozen pipes. Couple heated hoses, pool noodles and such and I think I’ll be fine. Maybe I should record that stuff for the YouTube channel?

Once I get to TN I will be putting up insulated skirting, which will keep the underside warmer and keep wind out. I just really hate to put that up now, just to take it right back down after Christmas and set right back up again. I’m gambling here but we will see if I learn the hard way or not lol.

Does that thing not have a heated undercarriage?

Hell even mine with the arctic package and all isn’t shit. Just some minimal measures and a new sticker. But I’d think living in it and running the furnace which is under the floors should be sufficient. But my cheap ass would have the fit place going.

Hell even mine with the arctic package and all isn’t shit. Just some minimal measures and a new sticker. But I’d think living in it and running the furnace which is under the floors should be sufficient. But my cheap ass would have the fit place going.

Oh you’re not wrong. The Arctic packages aren’t much at the end of the day but it at least encloses it to keep the draft effect to a minimum and warm air flowing underneath. We had a few days straight with sub freezing temps last year (first full winter) with it and didn’t see any issues.

Our toy hauler isn’t terrible in the sub freezing temps. You might be surprised. Yeah you burn through the propane but for a couple day cold spell it is tolerable.

Idk if it counts to consider it heated, but there is plastic liner that covers everything, and the heat is ducted thru the floor and I assume a lot of heat gets lost into that under side. Other than a couple low point drains there is no plumbing exposed other than my drain. I plan to put pipe insulation over those low point drains.

Oh you’re not wrong. The Arctic packages aren’t much at the end of the day but it at least encloses it to keep the draft effect to a minimum and warm air flowing underneath. We had a few days straight with sub freezing temps last year (first full winter) with it and didn’t see any issues.
Definitely only good if using it or have the heat running. The finally pumped coolant through mine prepping for this front coming, wind be going out for a month or 2

I just take the water supply down on freezing nights. The hose usually freezes. The ducted undercarriage will help a lot. Our new camper has waste water heaters, lol! Learned they where a little stick on electric heat grid.

If you don't have a meter to pay your power by I second the ceramic heaters except when your getting the temps headed this way. Those ducts will do the under belly better.

Everyone has said go to some warmth. If you do just remember stuff freezing going down the road as well. We have camped in the winter. We DE winterize on arrival and Re winterize before pulling out. Water from the stay getting blasted by road wind, or it just being plain cold will freeze just as easy on the move. Doing it this way means I don't have to when we get home either.

I was supposed to wheel again at Good Evening Ranch for New Years with my friends one last time before we leave but it’s supposed to be single digits there and my camper just can’t take that. I’m watching the weather close to see how that’s going to pan out.
You must be looking at the wrong weekend. This weekend freezing, next weekend 50s

Aren't there tens of thousands of people that have already figured out that if you can move your life around, you spend the cold months in the south or southwest and the warm months in the north or northwest?
They may be onto something.

Aren't there tens of thousands of people that have already figured out that if you can move your life around, you spend the cold months in the south or southwest and the warm months in the north or northwest?
My pops lives in Boca Raton in the winter and moves to to San Diego (Torrey Pines) in the summer. Hates everything about Cali. except the weather. The older I get the more this seems like a perfect plan.

Yeah you’re not wrong. I just really hate to leave run off before Christmas and find somewhere else to stay. If I can just get thru this cold spell, and get thru TN in January then I’m heading to AL and GA where it won’t be quite as cold in theory. The whole point in staying in this area for now was to get the the holidays with family before we depart.

My best friends dad was a complete hard-ass, no excuses type, and he was our Scoutmaster. He always stressed the 6P principle: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

Id take a second look at Tennessee in January.

What about some heat trace tape on the pipes with some insulation over it?

What about some heat trace tape on the pipes with some insulation over it?
I don’t have any exposed pipes I would wrap other than my drain. It’s all up in the underside.
I have insulated concrete blankets that I am skirting the sides with (think under pinning on a trailer) this will block the wind from blowing under the camper and I will also put a space heater under there, wrap my hoses inlet and the spigot.

My best friends dad was a complete hard-ass, no excuses type, and he was our Scoutmaster. He always stressed the 6P principle: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

All of this stuff was planned months in advance. Unfortunately it’s not as easy to book long term places without booking well in advance. This lifestyle is a lot more popular than I realized. It took me several tries to even find a place in UT that had availability in May of next year.

My pops lives in Boca Raton in the winter and moves to to San Diego (Torrey Pines) in the summer. Hates everything about Cali. except the weather. The older I get the more this seems like a perfect plan.
I haven't spent much time in Cali but I have in Fl. There is absolutly nothing down there I care to see besides my parents and sister. I have hated that state since 1974 when mom and dad moved there.

I haven't spent much time in Cali but I have in Fl. There is absolutly nothing down there I care to see besides my parents and sister. I have hated that state since 1974 when mom and dad moved there.
My pops retired at 54 and has done nothing but play golf and travel the world the last 28 years....I used to have a pretty serious golf problem, but have since worked past it. I agree, other than nice weather, good fishing on the gulf, and plenty of good golf courses ,Florida has nothing for me. My comment about the 54's was purely comedy.

My pops retired at 54 and has done nothing but play golf and travel the world the last 28 years....I used to have a pretty serious golf problem, but have since worked past it. I agree, other than nice weather, good fishing on the gulf, and plenty of good golf courses ,Florida has nothing for me. My comment about the 54's was purely comedy.
Growing up down there some I can agree with you on that. Great weather and golf and fishing if you like the ocean. I have seen some seriously buried rigs in the "mud holes" in Florida.

Yep she cold. Maybe more so then here. We get the buffer of the Appalachian Mt. Range a lot of times. Whatever is mid western slams right through most of TN. Or worse it impacts the other side of said mountains to us and stalls out a little while.

I’ve spent a considerable amount of time in southern cal…weather is nice, couldn’t tolerate much of anything else. So I’d be more of an Arizona guy…not much I don’t like there. Regardless…anyone that knows me, knows I say I’m too damn tropical for bull shit weather any time it gets below 60*. And heat heat and more heat is my gameplan as soon as I can.

Back