Chasing a dream

Hell I'm about ready to throw in the towel altogether with all of this, go back to work, keep my head down, stack money and live simple and stop sharing my life.
Take a break and gather your thoughts. You've had a lot of trauma over the last little bit. You'll need clarity by stepping back a bit before making any decisions.

The verdict is in. Injector #4 failed and there's a hole in the piston.
Anything else damaged? Is there a reason they can't just replace one piston and all the injectors and run with it? If the bearings are good, the cylinder walls are good, and all the other cylinders have good compression, I don't see why you would replace the whole motor. Yeah, it's less than ideal, but so is $15-20k. You need a truck that runs, not a $20k truck and a $20k motor.

As you all know I'm also down a pickup. In fact it was the best pickup I've ever had. Now I have to figure out my next move altogether. I'd much prefer to void a truck payment, but $20k down along with whatever I got out of mine would be about half way into a much newer truck, with a warranty.
That really sucks about your other truck also. To replace the big truck, it's gonna be hard to find something that would suit your needs, but not impossible. Or special order it brand new, but by the time you get a bed on it and get it built out, you're probably approaching $90-100k. Have you considered switching the setup around a bit and moving to a "normal" size truck such as a 60" Cab to axle and a goose or 5th wheel toyhauler? That would tremendously open up your options on trucks, but also require changing up campers obviously. There are of course pluses and minuses to that idea.

Hell I'm about ready to throw in the towel altogether with all of this, go back to work, keep my head down, stack money and live simple and stop sharing my life.
Do what is best for you and your family, but don't make a rash decision just because you run into some (major) difficulties. Life's about the journey blahblahblahhappyhorseshitetc. You (alongside your wife) gotta figure out what is the best decision for you guys, and now that you have some time on the road, you're better equipped to make that decision. Did you see everything you wanted to see and do everything you wanted to do? Of course not. But will you regret going back to the "normal" life? If you could start over, what would you do different? In a way, you've been given (forced into :() an opportunity to reevaluate pretty much everything. One way I like to evaluate major decisions is: If I am to look back in 5, 10, and 25 years, what would I think is the right decision, and will I regret doing (or not doing) it? It's not a fool proof system, and you never know what the future holds, but throwing that long term perspective in there really helps me to clarify my thoughts sometimes. I know 20 years from now, I will regret not doing something like you guys are doing, but my wife is a no go on that, and staying married to her is more important than my future regret. (I think :laughing:)

Deep deeeeeep deep breath! Your most valuable things in life you still have. Family and health. Your spouse and kiddos have shared a year of something almost any individual let alone family has ever experienced. Not just the travel and places but the steps toward making and during all the way to now.

You let go of what most folks consider the most prized accomplishment or at least generally pay the most for in a lifetime, a house. You didn't sell your home.....you know this and have lived it.
You also did what few ever do. You bought a "toy" but infact fully emersed yourself in a hobby and traveled with a singular passion. Who does, this let alone a family?

You've done all this and now have fell into...(I choose this because life happens to us all be it health, money, or natural disasters).......a near net zero plane.

Why zero? Well your house is on wheels. You can get it somewhere that somewhere is home. That somewhere is a new start. Work. New or old friends. Location. All of these are available your not tied to anything location oriented.
Why zero? You had a pick up and a truck suited for pretty much one purpose. Now you got neither. Let's be honest neither was a cherry or capable of lasting til your kids can take care of themselves or make you serious income. Both were going to eventually cost you something and neither was going to create a financial buffer of exceeding value.
Why zero? Outside looking in the most valuable physical object you possess has served it's purpose. I'm talking about the buggy. It's done it's job. It's taken you and yours all over. You could sell, you could keep. It's accomplished goal number one.

Why zero? It's neutral. No value. No loss. No gain. You have a blessing or curse depending on a point of view. Choose the positive, it's obvious. Obvious because you have successfully accomplished what you set out to do. Social media or not. World stage or not. It Matters Not.

100 percent you went all in and done it.

Net zero seems like a great place to find another 100 percent.

I’d say you are blessed to have the choice to either carry on or call it a season and return to “normal”.
I’ve got a friend who’s made a decade of life as an influencer … he talks about the soul suck of making everything public. Many will never understand that. Sounds like you have a taste of it from your last post.

If you choose to call it a season and move on - no shame. That’s a valid and possibly correct choice.

If you choose to press onward- likewise no shame . Another valid and possibly correct choice.

The amazing thing is you have options….and no one to answer to but you and your family.

In some ways the accident liquified you more fully to open more options (assuming there is insurance to pay out) … enjoy and take peace in the freedom of choice.

I’d say you are blessed to have the choice to either carry on or call it a season and return to “normal”.
I’ve got a friend who’s made a decade of life as an influencer … he talks about the soul suck of making everything public. Many will never understand that. Sounds like you have a taste of it from your last post.

If you choose to call it a season and move on - no shame. That’s a valid and possibly correct choice.

If you choose to press onward- likewise no shame . Another valid and possibly correct choice.

The amazing thing is you have options….and no one to answer to but you and your family.

In some ways the accident liquified you more fully to open more options (assuming there is insurance to pay out) … enjoy and take peace in the freedom of choice.
I really think you killed it @Ron. The ability to make the decision is huge. Stay or go. You’ve gone, done, and came back with more experiences than most can even think of.

Do it, and join the rest of us, LOL.

1990 Ford L8000 toterhome trailer

1701723054038.png

Do it, and join the rest of us, LOL.
The problem with this plan is falling over dead a year or two post retirement after keeping your head down and stacking cash. I advise doing what makes you happy and if it works out , you made the right choice. If it doesn't work out for god sake don't go take a job that you look forward to the "end" everyday, that ain't living , that's slowly dying.

The problem with this plan is falling over dead a year or two post retirement after keeping your head down and stacking cash. I advise doing what makes you happy and if it works out , you made the right choice. If it doesn't work out for god sake don't go take a job that you look forward to the "end" everyday, that ain't living , that's slowly dying.
That happened to my long time regular doctor. He died from a brain tumor 1-2 years after retirement.

Live for today, but plan for tomorrow.

That happened to my long time regular doctor. He died from a brain tumor 1-2 years after retirement.

Live for today, but plan for tomorrow.

Happened to my uncle and grandfather too. Both died one year after retirement.
Man, y’all got me thinking I should pull the trigger on a pimped out Gladiator Rubicon instead of being smart.

Back