Cheapo Tow Rig project

@Croatan_Kid yeah things happen, just human error. I have always said don't judge people solely on the mistakes they make, judge them by how they handle those mistakes. I remember that happening to you, and they made it right and that's some stand-up stuff in my book. I also follow your build closely and remember that boat anchor you cut out!

My buddy claims to have the right hide away ball setup for my truck if he can find it I can trade him a 12 pack. I will confirm P/N and fitment once found. But if I buy new I will go with the Drawtite that Jody posted or a B&W.

I'm surprised no one has said anything about my truck towing all of this. It's rated for over 10K with a GN ball and I should be just under 10K. I don't expect to set any speed or fuel mileage records so I should be good don't you think?

I THINK they're US made as well, so that helps.
I can guarantee that they are made in Humboldt, Kansas. I can also tell you what speeds and feeds they are using to machine the Turnover ball ;)

I can guarantee that they are made in Humboldt, Kansas. I can also tell you what speeds and feeds they are using to machine the Turnover ball ;)

It almost sounds like you could hook a brotha up...:D

I'll send em a message and see how it goes. I was going to today, but I was too lazy to read back through and be sure thats what you needed.

I'll send em a message and see how it goes. I was going to today, but I was too lazy to read back through and be sure thats what you needed.

See signature homie...

I swear somewhere I read you just needed the ball. Do you need the whole hitch setup?

Lol yeah I need the whole setup. Hoping my buddy actually has the one he “thinks he has” but I’ll have to buy the whole thing if not.

Well, I put a B&W ball in the bed...am I doing it right?
638830F7-45A7-469D-B038-F482EAE51306.jpeg

Now when the next deal comes along, or I order one, which ever comes first, I’ll be ready to get me a Gooseneck.
I’ll be putting this in Saturday.

Serious rookie question... paging @Croatan_Kid... is it supposed to be centered over the axle or just in front of it? Can’t remember and too lazy to dig thru your thread.

Attachments

• GNRK1067 Installation Instructions (1).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 178
If it’s vehicle specific it should only go on the truck in one position. At least both mine and the wife’s were very specific where it went on the frame.

You are correct. Supposed to put it in tomorrow but I’m pretty slow for work and debating tackling it this afternoon.

Last edited:
395117E4-BD4A-47A8-8BD5-3F24316279E3.jpeg
60F5DBDB-8188-4F6B-9F29-BDA2720E72AA.jpeg
I got the ball installed today. Massive thanks to @Curtis_H for lending me a hand and letting me do it in his shop with AC!!

After we finished it we decided to test tow with his 28’ GN with very tall living quarters on the front. We put his wife’s TJ on the back. I was absolutely blown away by how well it handled the load. Truck winds the gears a touch longer and is a little slower to get to 70-75 but once I’m up there it holds it no problem, we pulled some small hills. I was extremely happy with the truck. I believe I was in the 10-11k range with that and estimate my own setup being a little lighter. I have zero worries about pulling a GN thru the mountains now. I may upgrade the trans cooler but that should be about it.
I absolutely love this truck!!

B34F3433-5217-4869-80AE-21980CDC8C07.jpeg
77569E56-7F25-4565-B576-657B34EB4184.jpeg
02506E85-B58D-4491-8EF5-84E982E2A937.jpeg
6ADC1D29-3C97-4523-969A-70C5046FFDDB.jpeg
D78A0D54-7CEE-4A45-8BD3-96EB918E480B.jpeg

Gooseneck engaged....

Had a good friend that had this and he wanted a deck over. Just this year he stripped it down, primed and painted it, brand new treated wood, new wiring and LED lights. Only thing he had left to do was buy tires, and I bought it good enough to throw some tires on it. I’ll strip the wheels and paint them either white or silver gray.
16” 8 lug wheels, 14k braking axles, dual jacks. 27’ deck (24+3)

Pricing tires tomorrow. Might go a size down from what’s on it. There’s exactly 2” between the tires, might need more room than that?

I’m super happy. Now just gotta figure out how to get the camper on it. Might have to get someone to tow it for me and I take the camper to @Chris_Keziah work where he has a huge forklift.

View attachment 320496 View attachment 320495 View attachment 320492 View attachment 320493 View attachment 320494

Gooseneck engaged....

Had a good friend that had this and he wanted a deck over. Just this year he stripped it down, primed and painted it, brand new treated wood, new wiring and LED lights. Only thing he had left to do was buy tires, and I bought it good enough to throw some tires on it. I’ll strip the wheels and paint them either white or silver gray.
16” 8 lug wheels, 14k braking axles, dual jacks. 27’ deck (24+3)

Pricing tires tomorrow. Might go a size down from what’s on it. There’s exactly 2” between the tires, might need more room than that?

I’m super happy. Now just gotta figure out how to get the camper on it. Might have to get someone to tow it for me and I take the camper to @Chris_Keziah work where he has a huge forklift.
How much for the chipper? :D

Also, if you're thinking of going from 235/85s to 235/80s, don't do it! There's a decent difference in weight capacity, and the 85s are a lot beefier.

How much for the chipper? :D

Also, if you're thinking of going from 235/85s to 235/80s, don't do it! There's a decent difference in weight capacity, and the 85s are a lot beefier.

Is it ok that there’s only 2” of space between the tires? If so I’ll rock out.

I’ll get some pics tomorrow.

I been doing some web surfing on the subject and it seems pretty common for folks to have anywhere from 4" down to 1.5"

Check the threads on here about this, but Sailuns are likely a good choice.

Also @BRUISER built a dolly to roll/ winch his up on his trailer. Maybe he still has a pic?

I would plan for it to come on/off. I know I use my long trailer often.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Also @BRUISER built a dolly to roll/ winch his up on his trailer. Maybe he still has a pic?

I do think that in the future I will concrete some 6x6 posts in the ground that will allow me to easily get it on and off the trailer. I sometimes have the opportunity to haul things for work where I could easily make $1000.

I am going to order some red/white DOT reflective tape to run down the sides and neck. I think that along with fresh wheels will make it look a lot better.

Search my trailer build and you will see it.

I jacked camper up in the air back trailer up to it and then use car dollies to slide it forward onto the trailer.

Worked great

Back