Cheapo Tow Rig project

77GreenMachine

Phillip Talton
1790C8A3-0DBC-46C2-9B2E-52A4B8601F83.jpeg
9F6B2D2D-C72D-4091-949F-BD4B0ACEDCCF.jpeg
821617FC-E374-4957-AC9C-BBE22CC1BFBB.jpeg
So I just picked up a very cheap, but good running 2500HD from a customer of mine.
It’s really just a cheap tow rig and pick up.

It’s an 04, 2wd with 520k miles on it. I’m gonna fix it up and do several things, but mostly just enjoy a payment free truck for towing duties.

Last edited:
Think wind and heavy rain.

@trailhugger bought a tent you need to consider. Also, on the mud thing...set the tent up on the trailer, and no mud

Just some thoughts from past experiences

Keep it. It's easier than taking it off :D

I don’t think the tent I have could fit on my trailer. I’d like to see what she has.

I suppose I could take it on and off as needed. But then it sits in my yard and I have to mow around it, and have help with the on and off.

My F250 crew cab has one and I've used it for everything but ladders. I have a gambrel rigged up that I can hang off the back of it that comes in mighty handy during deer season.

I’ll probably keep it. I may change the title and update this thread. This truck is a straight up base model. I’m gonna change a few things as it goes. It is extremely dirty inside, but I have the best detail guy in the Archdale/Trinity area. I can’t wait to post before and after pics.

The truck has 521k miles on the odometer. The motor has 160k, tranny 70k, the whole front end is new like ball joints, tie rods and such. It actually drives great. I have a folder an inch thick with every service record since new.

Whew! What Ron said. I didn’t give much more than that for the truck!

I would much rather come up with some sort of “A” frame and use a really big tarp over this thing with bungees and ratchet straps.

Ghetto fabulous while camping in Harlan.

Whew! What Ron said. I didn’t give much more than that for the truck!

I would much rather come up with some sort of “A” frame and use a really big tarp over this thing with bungees and ratchet straps.

Ghetto fabulous while camping in Harlan.
You could just buy a truck bed camper or a camper shell. A tent/tarp in the bed will prob leak like a bitch and blow away in the wind.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You can go to Advance Auto and look in the "Help" section and get a tailgate handle bezel for about 7 bucks and make the rear end of the truck look sooo much better :D

I just got it yesterday. I plan on things like that. And yes I will be on the lookout for a cheap camper shell

You bought a camper for $200? Did it fit in the back seat of a Jeep and hold two queen mattress inside?
Link says $800.
If you remember that chitty 14' I had at the first ecors race in mtn city. I paid $500 for it when i was working down in ga on a job and slepr there during the week.

Link says $799

We traded in three tents when we got that one. I'm pretty sure we still have store credit at REI.

But it's a 3+ season tent with a 12*12 main room, a back room that's the size of a queen mattress, and it has a vestibule. We've spent about 40 nights in it. It's pretty much bomb proof.

We traded in three tents when we got that one. I'm pretty sure we still have store credit at REI.

But it's a 3+ season tent with a 12*12 main room, a back room that's the size of a queen mattress, and it has a vestibule. We've spent about 40 nights in it. It's pretty much bomb proof.
No one is saying it ain't a pimping tent. It is fo sho . It's still an 800 tent.

Can't hide money I guess.

No one is saying it ain't a pimping tent. It is fo sho . It's still an 800 tent.

I thought we were talking about what we actually paid for things?

I thought we were talking about ladder racks with tarps on em...

I have a big, nice tent that is great. But I can’t put it up by myself and it’s a real pain to take down and try to put up clean. Usually results in putting it up again at home.
What I’m trying to tell you is I’m real lazy, and climbing into a camper shell or throwing a tarp over a rack sounds real awesome to me.

Ours can be put up by one person. It can definitely be put up by one adult and a 3 or 5-year-old.

<shrug> I have no dog in this fight, @CasterTroy drug my tent into the discussion so I provided additional info.

But mine is bigger that y'all's, anyway. ;)

Back