Cherocar

@Jody Treadway thanks big dawg. I've got to finish up the steering and a few odds n ends before I can take it out but I'll be beating on it before the end of the summer

That's a refreshing update. 99-04 or 05+ axles?

That's a refreshing update. 99-04 or 05+ axles?

The axles are from a 07 superduty.
4.0/Aw4/231
I'm planning on doing a 231 based planetary box/205 doubler

The axles are from a 07 superduty.
4.0/Aw4/231
I'm planning on doing a 231 based planetary box/205 doubler
How did you go about coil spring buckets on the axle? Sitting here building an XJ on SD tons in my head and you're fawking me up here lol! :lol:

How did you go about coil spring buckets on the axle? Sitting here building an XJ on SD tons in my head and you're fawking me up here lol! :lol:
I bitched about it for 6 months....then bought the Artec TJ swap truss. For the money spent, I didn't like how it all lined up. It stretches the lowers apart and the drivers side upper wouldn't bolt in at all using the keyway. I should bolted the axle in with the brackets tacked before I burned all the brackets in. The quality of material is very nice but it takes a ton of cutting to get it to fit.

So I guess that is the reason the 78-79 kingpin axles are in so much demand? IIRC Will put superduty axles under his recent XJ buggy build...... Are you going to run a standard 3 planetary gear set in the 231 doubler?

Last edited:
@ghost Yea I had proably had a solid 8 hour day in prepping the axle for the truss....then another 5-6 hours of install
I have a 231HD which has the same planetary set as a 241.
Yes the super duty axle was cheaper but if I had to do it over I would've bought an older HP 60

It's still alive....might make it out to the flats this weekend.
chertocar.jpg

The jeep is way to close to being wheelable...so I decided to redo the steering
full hydro parts on the way. This should keep it out of service for at least two years.

Last edited:
The jeep is way to close to being wheelable...so I decided to redo the steering
full hydro parts on the way. This should keep it out of service for at least two years.

Man, that's my MO. Get your own!

20180303_160852.jpg

Got my OBA sorted out. Add a 120psi cutoff switch and a 5 gallon air tank. Works like a champ

Last edited:
Looking good! What kind of frame reinforcements does this thing have? I ripped a frame beyond repair with a dana 30.. I can't imagine what the 60 and some hammer down action would do to one.....

Looking good! What kind of frame reinforcements does this thing have? I ripped a frame beyond repair with a dana 30.. I can't imagine what the 60 and some hammer down action would do to one.....

The frame has been broken/plated multiple times in the steering box area. I think it's plated with 5/16-1/4" on both sides at the front and then it's plated at the in the trans x member area.

It has been launched/beat/abused/neglected for many moons.

That picture makes it look like my unibody is arched in the center.....it probably is

That picture makes it look like my unibody is arched in the center.....it probably is

I think this is called self-clearancing. One heck of a good way to get over the rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good enough for government work
20180309_204742.jpg

Back