CJ10a Pickup

Long Bed or Short Bed?

• Long Bed!

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Short Bed!

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • They both suck. I will post a better idea.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • 100 lbs of Bacon should make a tasty bed?

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters

gavan

Well, here is the beginnings of a new beater/dd/oddball fun truck.

I have been getting parts and looking things over, so it is time to start this build. Nothing gets builds started like a poll.

Basic stats:

198? CJ10a
D300, 10b front, 14bff rear
hummers
stock SD33 runs well, I have a turbo parts motor to turn it up a bit :)

Besides all that, mostly stock, quick build, and cheap build.

A couple of very poorly chopped photos for reference:
Short Bed:

ai97.photobucket.com_albums_l235_gyoung13_Picture2.png

Long Bed:

ai97.photobucket.com_albums_l235_gyoung13_Picture1.png

I've always been partial to a CJ looking bed for those. maybe even an FJ45 bed if you can find one

BTW, I don't think the turbo parts from the scout will fit on the SD33 engine in the CJ10a. No experience with it but its what I've read. Might want to check into it before tearing into it. :)

Boy I wish I still had my CJ10a :(

Maybe put some sheetmetal on the bedsides and a cj flare on that to smooth it out. I would do a short bed but cut the back instead of the front to help your departure angle. Its gonna look sweet regardless.

BTW, I don't think the turbo parts from the scout will fit on the SD33 engine in the CJ10a. No experience with it but its what I've read. Might want to check into it before tearing into it. :)

Alot of research has gone into the engine so far, and I have only scratched the surface.

BUT, it looks like the manifolds will work. The -10 pump will work, but it will not respond to boost. I have the SD33t pump as well.

The general consensus is that all the -80 and up SD33's got the better pistons and piston oilers, so I should be good there.

The accessories, water pump, etc., will not work between the motors, thats for sure.

The plan is to get it running and driving, then tear into the motor!

Bacon

Somebody had to vote for it.

Short bed.

Shortbed...
Maybe a a couple CJ/YJ rear halves grafted together in an AEV Brute looking box...

Thats been done! It does look good, but i think this is a neat different direction. This is a little wider than the body, like the AEV bodies.

Plus, I now have 2 M101's to cut up, and they are cheap!

I found it on Ebay, in Charlotte, for $99.95.

I could not even start to buy the metal to fix the one I have for that much.

I will have a rusty one left over, at least parts of it, if you need anything from it.

It is at 124 inches now. It fits a short bed size of 84 inches.

To fit the long bed, I would have to extend the wheelbase 17 inches to 141 inches.

That is longer than my Excursion(!)...

I am starting to think a 84 inch bed/7 feet is more than good for me!

I really like the m715 bed on it

Either one in ChrisM's Chop pics...I kinda like the bottom one.

Got the 14b installed today.

ai97.photobucket.com_albums_l235_gyoung13_2009_12_10165242.jpg

ai97.photobucket.com_albums_l235_gyoung13_2009_12_10165331.jpg

Everything went well. I got my Ubolts form Fleet Pride in Garner, I would recommend them any time.

Did a lot of figuring and staring at the beds, it looks like I can flip the bed backwards, then weld the back of the other bed where the front of the other bed was...

Confusing, but it makes for a nice bob job, keeps the wheelbase I already have, and removes all of the rust from both of the trailers.

Luckily Uncle Sam made the trailers very symmetrical and the front is basically the back... should be pretty easy to move everything around.

another crappy chop

ai97.photobucket.com_albums_l235_gyoung13_Picture5.png

i would sell the m101 trailers and then buy a chevy 6ft step body and put on it would be lighter and then sell your 44 front,and take the money made of sellind trailers and dana44 and then buy a 60 or 70 front to go on it, then it would be really cool for cheap

Back