CJ5 prodject

I like this build.:huggy: 1 question though and maybe this was covered by why not use a DRW 14 bolt to match the width of the front would look allot better IMO. only problem is there a bit harder to find.

I like this build.:huggy: 1 question though and maybe this was covered by why not use a DRW 14 bolt to match the width of the front would look allot better IMO. only problem is there a bit harder to find.

Thats a good question ! I dont know much about the 14 bolt DRW axle... Honnestly, I bought my 14 bolt with a detroit and 4:56 gears last year for $150 from a guy so I figured 2 things needed to happen. 1. I need to cut down the front axle 2 inches on each side and 2. put 2 inch wheel spacers on each side in the rear...

Either way its very wide right now, Im not sure what NC laws say about tire coverage but either way I have the whole tire in the front sitting outside the body line !!!!!

I actualy measured this morning

96inch wheelbase
86inches sidewall to sidewall in the front
78inches sidewall to sidewall in the rear
21 inches to the frame at the bellypan
rear drive shaft is 19.5 inches at 12 degree operating angle
82 degree aproach angle in the front
61 degree departure angle in the rear.

I would have liked the jeep to sit lower, but it is what it is, the departure angle sucks becouse of the XJ springs (4 link the rear next year after tax returns)
OK, Im off to run errends, pick up some parts, and come home and work on this HEEP..

I suppose you could go the cutting down the front axle route as-well and retain the DRW hubs. I just always go by the wider is better rule and I always think fullsize, been a while since i had my YJ. It did have a full tire sticking out when i drove it and never had a problem but I'm sure that's dependent on where you live and the LEO who work there.

I suppose you could go the cutting down the front axle route as-well and retain the DRW hubs. I just always go by the wider is better rule and I always think fullsize, been a while since i had my YJ. It did have a full tire sticking out when i drove it and never had a problem but I'm sure that's dependent on where you live and the LEO who work there.
True, Im with you on the wider is better (stability) ... I think I will order 2 inch wheel spacers today, that will leave the front 2 inches wider on each side than the rear, which actualy isnt a bad thing (most chev. trucks are wider in the front / helps them track better down the road) ... Ill get the wheel spacers on this week and then look at how it looks before I take the front apart and cut it down... im actualy strongly considering buying a set of 300M shafts that will allow me to turn at a 50 degree angle to improve my turning radius, so the extra width would be nice for clearence reasons as well I am trying to build in enoph room for 39.5's in the future...

bought more parts today...

1.Thermostaticaly controlled electric fan (with a manual overide to shut it off when crossing water)...LOL

2.High stear arms from Harsh Terain ( this guy was realy cool to deal with).

3. 2 inch wheelspacers for the 14 bolt rear axle...

4.Rear disc brake kit from (GUBNI) should be here this week.

5.2 Optima batteries (red top) and Wrangler products NW dual battery manager kit.

6. Warn SDB 210 dual beam lights (3 sets of 2), no lack of lighting, I already had 2 SDB 210's to replace the headlights with and 4 of the smaller SDB's....

I am off to work on the radiator mounts and fan schroud, Pics later!!!

Built my fan schroud so that my electric fan will pull air through the radiator properly... khaki tan to match the jeep :rolleyes:

A little help from my little helper.....
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_43103_.jpg

finished product, I offset the fan so that I will have room for the factory overflow bottle...
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_43110_.jpg

monday

I got my high steer arms in the mail today, now I can make some progress on that... I built the mounts to tie the roll cage into the frame and rock sliders... Just when it seems like Im making progress something comes up, man my life has got to get simplified soon or Ill never have time to finish this thing ...

These arms are from HARSH TERRAIN in new mexico... $176. with hardware shipped to my door. the long arm goes on the drivers side becouse the hydraulic ram for the ram assist will be placed on the drivers side behind the knuckle...
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_44435_.jpg

This is a picture of one of the pedistal mounts that ties the plate sandwiching the body for the roll cage into the rock sliders. I also built the mounts for the rest of the roll cage to tie it into the frame at 8 other locations, I will take pics of them also and post them up tonight hopefully ...
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_44436_.jpg

Wednesday. june 15th.

Not alot of time to update today, I built the frame side track bar mount, drilled the tapered holes in the highstear arms, put my stearing linkage together (not welded yet though) and began to measure for the notches in the frame rails to clear the stearing linkage... fun fun fun

below are some pics.
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_44985_.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_44976_.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_44987_.jpg

stearing joint at the pitman arm, I drilled it out with a tapered bit from the top to gain an extra 1 in. of clearence..
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_44983_.jpg

More tommarrow.... ;-)

thursdeay. june 16th.

I couldnt take it any more, With the stearing setup I built I had squat for clearence (about 2.5in ) to the bottom of the frame rail ....... SOOO, with no better option I cut the frame rails off and tubed the front with a grill guard. I started to build the stearing box mount into it as well out of plate steal, moving the box up 2 more inches and back into the grill 2 inches to gain more clearence and match the drag link to track bar angle ....;-) the main hoop is 2 inch .250 wall HREW, the grill hoop and kicks are 1.5 inch .250 DOM ....

The point of no return. I still have to clearence and cap the bottom of the frame abouve the tierod!!!
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_45173_.jpg

here is a pic of the front tacked into place... deff. not perfect but close enoph for who its for ...
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_45214_.jpg

sittin in primer, tommarrow I will finish caping the frame rails, add gussets, and build the power stearing box mount .... I need to pick up a WARN8274-50 for the front so that I can build the winch mounts into it as well ... MAN I NEED MOR MONEY ... dangit
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_45207_.jpg

monday

I was in a hurry to build the new stearing gear mount, and I had a couple of hours this morning before work called and summened me ........ Im not done with it, I ordered some gussets that are lazer cut (look way better than a hand held plasma) and when they get here I will burn them in and move on to the next peice of fabrication ....

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_46389_.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_46391_.jpg

I need to find a place here in NC that will roll 1/4 inch plate so I can make the skid plate for the bottom of the tube work ....

lookin good!! i think im going to steal your rocker armor design, looks like just the ticket for mine,
It is very easy to make, I would have liked to buy a set that were formed, but Im on a budget and I got the steal sheered and purchased the hardware for less than half of what a set of sliders would have cost me from a vendor ....

im in the same boat, formed ones are nice but home made ones are nice on the wallet lol. i like how you tied them into the body mounts and cage, it should work gret with my side exhuast.

so when will you be ready for a cj5 ride?

At this point I just dont know when it will be done ... I keep thinking 30 days, but thats what I thought 3 months ago ... work is getting crazy again, and Im trying to ballence everything (work, family, jeep) ... below is a basic list LOLOL

1.finish front clip (radiator mounts/AC plumbing/ headlights/ battery mount/ winch mount)
2.build the mechanism that holds the stearing colum and allows the tilt wheel to work.
3. finish wireing under the dash and interior.
4. build the rear body armor/ rear flares/ rear exo cage and spare tire carier.
5.rebuild the rear end/ all new bearings/seals, disc brakes/ change out the 4:56 to 5:38.
6. all new brake lines front and rear.
7. build the fuel cell and mount it.
8. build the new bellypan and engine skid plate/ install the slip yoke eliminator kit and rear drive shaft.
9. exhaust.
10.finish the front axle/ gears, arb locker, bearings, axle shafts.
11. seat mounts and center console.

Im sure I am missing something .... I think I should be done by noon LOLOLOL:bounce2:

sat. june 25th.

So, I got off my butt and worked on the jeep today. I cut out and welded in the front and bottom skid for the front bumper, built a box around the stearing gear ( its a little large, but it protects the whole stearing gear), cut my grill down to just the front peice, shortened it by 3 inches in height, mounted my radiator at an angle so that it will be better protected by the engine cage and coil towers... Ill mount up the AC condensor tommarrow and buy new radiator hoses ... The headlights will be WARN dual beam offraod lights 9inchers..

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_47417_.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_47635_.jpg

ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_47573_.jpg

frieday. july 1st.

built the brackets to locate the stearing colum... built the stearing colum linkage from the colum to the stearing gear ( CUT UP AND USED THE FACTORY TJ. STUFF ) tommarrow I will start placing the under dash wiring and hookin up all the harness conections ...
stearng colum in ...
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_49040_.jpg

A distance pic of the front of the CJ5.. (wide) the grill looks tiny after I cut it ... I have more than enoph room for 42's
ai1197.photobucket.com_albums_aa440_boazfaithful_888336608_photobucket_49039_.jpg

wiring .... what a pain in the A%$..... I got about half of the factory TJ under dash harness placed ...I added some extra gussets on the bracetry that holds the TJ stearing colum (the tilt wheel works nicely) ... Tommarrow I will finish placing the harness (12 different grounds) and reinstall the dash, guages, radio, heater controls ......... I am getting serious about locating a hard top for the prodject (so if anyone knows were I can get one semi localy let me know, Im looking for a metal top with large windows) ... I will update pics of the wiring tommarrow, Im off to a friends to watch the UFC fight tonight ...

It lives !!!!! Finished the underdash wiring harness, and started the motor today ... threw one code (ambient air temp sensor) not sure what the heck that is, but I'll figure that out tommarrow ...

Back