Cl find of the day

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Can a 6 cylinder make 500 HP?

No engine pics or specs. Claims 500hp (since on dyno I'll just assume he's claiming RWHP) through automatic transmission with 5.13 gears and 40" tires. I can't LOL or ROFL enough. I'm quite possibly roflcoptering.

I agree with that, and the main reason i havent purchased an elec vehicle. I dont care about green, as much as i care about cheaper. But there are a ton of ppl in the country who already rent a car for a trip, so having an elec DD is no different.

But if the electric grid upgrades, charging times could be reduced to 20-30min or less.

There's a "gas station" chain in FL, EVgo, that has a bunch of 480V chargers. Not all EVs can accept a 480V charge, but I believe Teslas can.

High elevation lines are generally 50kV lines... the infrastructure is already there, it really just depends if you have a 480V transformer at the "gas" (electric) station

The other thing to consider, is the faster a battery charges the more it "sulfates", or produces hydrogen. I would bet the 480V chargers, if used every day for 30 min, would decrease the battery life of the EV over using a 240V garage charger overnight. Standard industrial battery charge rates are C-5,C-10,C-20, C-100 (all numbers are in hours).... I think a C-0.5 would be pretty tough on a battery. Even a forklift battery bank normally has 8-10 hours of charge time. This is something I've contemplated but never heard any feedback from EV owners about.

One benefit to owning an EV - taxpayers pay for your "gas", if you scout out the charge stations. That won't last long but definitely can be taken advantage of for the time being.

Ripp xl is a turbo kit. The company claims it doubles factory hp. But, like @jeepinmatt said i wouldnt expect much reliability out of it.
Ha, leave it to the Honda guy to know about JK's...

If I were selling a vehicle with a power adder, I would hope I was smart enough to say that clearly in the add.

Ha, leave it to the Honda guy to know about JK's...

If I were selling a vehicle with a power adder, I would hope I was smart enough to say that clearly in the add.
I was thinking the turbo kit would be the main focal point. I would probably have a video excessively spooling it up and letting off so you could hear the blow off valve.

There's a "gas station" chain in FL, EVgo, that has a bunch of 480V chargers. Not all EVs can accept a 480V charge, but I believe Teslas can.

High elevation lines are generally 50kV lines... the infrastructure is already there, it really just depends if you have a 480V transformer at the "gas" (electric) station

The other thing to consider, is the faster a battery charges the more it "sulfates", or produces hydrogen. I would bet the 480V chargers, if used every day for 30 min, would decrease the battery life of the EV over using a 240V garage charger overnight. Standard industrial battery charge rates are C-5,C-10,C-20, C-100 (all numbers are in hours).... I think a C-0.5 would be pretty tough on a battery. Even a forklift battery bank normally has 8-10 hours of charge time. This is something I've contemplated but never heard any feedback from EV owners about.

One benefit to owning an EV - taxpayers pay for your "gas", if you scout out the charge stations. That won't last long but definitely can be taken advantage of for the time being.
The power grid can handle the commercial chargers at today's rate and some more, but I don't think it would handle a 240v charger at every house and charging stations as often as there are gas stations. But I believe that solar panels will help with that. Think if 50-75% of the houses & businesses were generating power to the grid.

I also don't think there will be the need for as many "stations", as we know them today. I think they would make more sense attached to retail, restaurants, hotels. Places that you are generally at for 30min or more already.

Plus most folks would charge at home, and likely only use a station when going somewhere farther. I believe I have seen where some of the 240v chargers were outputting 480v. I'm sure it's a lower amperage than the stations.

One big seller to me is lower maintenance costs. Yeah, you have the battery, but no oil changes/filters, etc. No cooling systems. Brakes are lifetime.

500hp would be an extremely mild tune for a built Toyota 2JZ.

I’m sure there’s a couple alphanumeric codes of Japanese engines than can be force inducted beyond 500 HP, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say none of those combos are under that hood. So how’s about a Jeep engine?

I’m sure there’s a couple alphanumeric codes of Japanese engines than can be force inducted beyond 500 HP, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say none of those combos are under that hood. So how’s about a Jeep engine?

I thought you meant any 6 cyl. My bad.

No clue. I’m a Toyota guy

Ripp xl is a turbo kit. The company claims it doubles factory hp. But, like @jeepinmatt said i wouldnt expect much reliability out of it.

I actually think it wouldn't be hard to build a 3.6 that would dyno 500hp. It would be on E85, with meth injection, and of course would be calculated crank hp.
I am sure the tune used to turn out that hp wouldn't be used in normal driving, just to have the dyno sheet that says it did it.

RIPP's claims:
Stock - 189 whp, no claimed stock torque on their product page (but I've seen similar dyno results with about 175 wtq).
Supercharged - 325 whp (~72% gain), 300 wtq (~71% gain)

found on the internet so its true, so around 420 at the crank, plus TB spacer, muffler and a snorkle, add some stickers could easily be over 500

that, and all the other gas-using schlubs in the state are paying for your use of the roads, since you're not paying for it through tax on gasoline.

You're applying a lot of lead acid battery theory to modern lithium chemistry batteries. Lead acid sulfates, Li doesn't. What does a forklift battery have to do with a Tesla?

High-rate Li charging is largely a function of thermal management and internal resistance, and proper cell (and cell string) balancing through a battery management system. I think the tesla superchargers are well over 1C if the pack is at a low charge.

Last edited:
Back