Copper Crawler buggy build

Really looks great, Matt. Like the new look.

NOW LETS GO GET IT DIRTY!!:driver:

Was this beautiful rig on a trailer heading south I-77 Saturday morning? It was awesome looking

Your co pilot looked like a Wookie,
Just saying.....

TUNING AND BRO LITE RACING

Sorry no video guys. The course layout prevented the opportunity to do so.

Had a terrific time in West VA this weekend. After working Friday, leaving for the park, (Mountaineer Motorcross),1 am Saturday and arriving at 6:30 am, a short cat nap till about 9, Dylan W and myself were awakened by Wayne Israelson (sp), (of Alltech Motorsports) tapping on my truck window. Wayne had also been up most of the last 24 hours due to arriving in DC from California at midnight.

We chatted a bit, then went over some specifics, adjusted the harnesses and took a quick 10 minute ride. My goal for the session was to get to 80%, of the 80/20 rule. To my surprise Wayne felt I already had achieved that. I took it as a compliment but don't feel I can take credit, since it was his spring theory thread (on pirate) that guided me to get the right springs first, and again in my pirate thread in desert racing where Wayne gave me a starting point in valving.

We talked a bit more, mostly about how/where I will be driving and then commenced to setting up shop, in the field, on the bed of my truck. Wayne's tools had not yet arrived but I brought 98% of what we needed. I even brought a cook for lunch, Dylan aka Benny Hanna, who upon bragging of his grilled cheese prowess, forgot to put the cheese in grilled cheese-but later redeemed himself on round two and supper.

uploadfromtaptalk1432534445222.jpg

First Wayne went through the rears, while I labored on shock removal and Benny attempted to cook. I didn't record the changes exactly but they were minor in the shock, yet quite noticable on the track. They were sufficient enough to prompt some slight changes in the front (after another short ride) which was near dead on to start. So I went to work removing shocks, Dylan...I mean Benny, went for round two on the grill cheese debacle, and Wayne did his magic with a mild change. Round three ride was awesome; could have been better but I left my 70lb action packer of tools on the trailer which threw our balance of a little; round 4 was really fantastic. Wayne says we're close to 85% now. Which is better than I had hoped.

-Note that the track was a motocross cc track with long pulls, abrupt g-outs, tight turns and minor single whoops.

As enjoyable as the tuning was, it was just the start of a great weekend. Wayne didn't come to the east for just little 'ol me, he was here as title sponsor of the inaugural race of the 2015 BRO-light race series. The rest of the day we watched 500' top fuel motorcycle-dirt drag racing while waiting on Scott Decker - bro lite owner/promoter, Erik Miller (past KOH champ) and the other 11 drivers to take the green for the Sunday race. But all that is a story for another thread. If you get the chance to build/race/spectate one of these events you will not be disappointed.

uploadfromtaptalk1432534608250.jpeg

Wayne is a great guy to hang out with a couple days, a willing teacher, and knows how to dive for a football. If you ever have the opportunity to tune with him you won't be disappointed. Yet better than the tuning, we just had fun. I'm lucky to have gotten the extra time without the pressure of a full schedule tune day.

uploadfromtaptalk1432534654768.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1432534669436.jpg

I would also like to thank @ol'Jeeps for helping me with all my new suspension goodies; shocks, springs, bumps, limit straps, more springs, more straps, and for helping me give Rocky at WOD an aneurysm with my "wrong coast" spring choices. Good times. .....let's wheel[emoji41]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432534551512.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1432534551512.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
I'll get the bro lite videos figured out as soon as my 10 year old gets home.

I had a great time this weekend. Thanks for letting me tag along Matt. The buggy felt great from the passenger seat!

Still trying to process the craziness of the street bikes with nitrous and boggers fish tailing 500 ft in 3 seconds or less.

And Bro lite racing is as cool as I hoped it would be. Eric Miller waxed everybody....as expected. I can't wait to take care of that winning problem he has.

Matt and I learned a lot about the trucks this weekend, and with a great birds eye view of the action...I learned a lot about what it will take to whip everybody...No problem!

Last edited:
In my many months of no wheeling this year I've made a few more mods to the buggy.

Added a sway bar

Did a little back half work. Mainly aesthetic. After I removed the double c pillar when going to coil overs I didn't like the window between b and c. so I changed the c pillar to get a more fast back look.

Notice the D shape of the rear "window"

uploadfromtaptalk1442671437530.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442671374393.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442671554515.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442671574398.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442671598066.jpg

I also lowered the light bar 2"to get it level with the roof, was previously above roof line.

uploadfromtaptalk1442671620500.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442671819809.jpg

Then my racepak started having issues. I've never been a fan of it anyway, too much info in one spot and I made the mistake of having it center mass instead of in my line of site, so out it come and new glow shift max tow gauges have been installed with better placement and dummy lights.

uploadfromtaptalk1442672022994.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442672056520.jpg

I put volt and fuel level in position of the race pack; tach, oil p, water t, trans t all went over head. Also dummy lights for fans, oil pressure, and water temp.

uploadfromtaptalk1442672078843.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442672153292.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442672170189.jpg

Also ditched the arb in front axle after it failed at the gulches, installed a full spool.

Ready for Dixie. ...

Huh? What? Why? Boredom? I've got plenty of work for ya!!!!

Back