Cruggy Progress III

Rich

Asshole at large
Getting there... Getting excited...

Got the ghetto-fab exhaust done.. I wanted the muffler out form under my seat, but really had a hard time buying anything that I'm just going to cut off next year.. so with some 2.5" scraps, and a Borla tailpipe section for a Mustang, came up with this... Also made a heatshield where the pipe runs under my seat..

exhaust.jpg

heatshield.jpg

Fun with gussets.. 18 or 20 in all. yaay.

gussets.jpg

Rob got started on the floor, with the tranny tunnel now in place.. you can't even tell there were 3 shifters cut through there before...

floor.jpg

Did the windshield downtubes, had some interference issues with the windshield wiper cable, so I could not use bigger diameter tubing. You can kinda see the shelf in the background for the toolbox, cooler, and other little stuff.. it's on a gas strut.. :D

windshieldtubes.jpg

And finally, got the hoodpins installed.. :bling: Was nerve-racking to drill through the new paint!

hoodpins.jpg

Next week.. time to fire the engine!

Looks good. I don't think I am going to be able to utilize the factory Ranger hood latch like I had hoped due to my radiator placement. Where did you get those hood pins? Any advice on them? I have never used them before.

Thanks,
DK

Very patriotic! Nice! Good work man. :beer: Nice heat shield, I need one of those. Did you just weld the bolts to the pipe?

drkelly said:
Where did you get those hood pins? Any advice on them? I have never used them before.
Thanks,
DK

Advance has them, Napa, Auto Zone, southern automotive. I used the Advance ones for no other reason than we have an account there. I'm sure there are different quality ones, mine are sorta cheesey, but they hold the hood down.

Looking good Rich, bring it down to the play ground and beat it all up...lol :D

I got mine at VatoZone in the ricer section.. $9.99 Like BW, they are kinda cheesy, but they work.

Yeah, I welded a nut 1/2 way up the bolt, then welded the bolt to the pipe...

BW - I plan on getting it to the playground.. it ain't built for show, it's built to roll.. :)

where did you buy your exhaust pipe from? pep boys has a lousy selection

I didn't buy any of it. the tailpipe and SS Tip are Borla, from a Mustang who upgraded... They were in the "scrap pile" at the dyno shop. The 2.5" sections were from a home-build system for a F-body I found in the dumpster, along with a fully polished Magnaflow muffer... the things people toss.. :rolleyes:

so are you going to drive it or is the guy who built it?????? :flipoff2: :flipoff2: just given you a hard time :D looks GOOD!!!! lets go :driver: and se if we can brake it

Rich said:
I didn't buy any of it. the tailpipe and SS Tip are Borla, from a Mustang who upgraded... They were in the "scrap pile" at the dyno shop. The 2.5" sections were from a home-build system for a F-body I found in the dumpster, along with a fully polished Magnaflow muffer... the things people toss.. :rolleyes:

hahahha

I have done that a bunch in the past....

I just finished putting a new muffler on my truck all from scraps :)

Brakes are soon.. Breaking it will be soon thereafter...

I have a ride on labor day, so, umm.. yeah..about a month... Damn wedding is getting in the way of my build! :lol:

In reality, once I get it under its own power and back home, I can work on it a little every night... finishing stuff like brakes, wiring, etc...

i second that. the little stuff turns INTO the BIG stuff!!!

Update... IT RUNS!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOO

Damn, this propane thing is the stuff!! When it fired, it ran like it was already warmed up! Throttle response is fantastic, and I can gradually increase the RPM's with no stumbling, hesitation, etc.. And it idles at what I'd guess to be ~500rpm, nice and smooth.. That will help with the auto. Starting is instantaneous after the first start. As fast as you can turn the key, it's running.

OK, so it did take me 5 hours to fill all the fluids and track down a manifold leak, but damn, what a motivator this is..

The engine is soooo quiet at idle.. and the exhaust is leak-free. Odor is hardly noticable, and it's sooo easy to tune the mixture.

I took 2 little videos, I'll post them tomorrow.

All in all, I'd bet I gained power, from having something that works right, instead of my old carb which was good, but it ain't this..

EFI or 'pane, the only ways to fly...

Now, just need some driveshaft stuff so it'll move, and brakes so it'll stop. :D

Great to hear Rich. Mine didn't have much pane smell at all to begin with. After a while it gets more noticable. I think maybe because of the crap built up inside was kinda filtering the smell. But now, smells like a forklift!

OK.. let's see.. I'm getting close!

Rob has been doing some great work on the floor!!
floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

The decklid is complete... twin gas struts help it go up.. and after looking at every store I could imagine and finding nothing, I dug the latch out of Rob's stuff.. :rolleyes: Works perfect!

decklid.jpg

latch.jpg

A little vid of the decklid in action :rolleyes: (right click and save)
Decklid Movie

Got some bling, too.. Shock mounts and the Bilstein's are in!

frontshock.jpg

rearshocktop.jpg

rearshockbottom.jpg

Also have the transmission cooler mounted, had to make a few brackets for it to sit on, but it's secure, should work well here, and be out of harm's way.

transcooler.jpg

Back