Daniel is tough now...

from what i heard the dutch john hill climb is gettin pretty chewed up. :confused: can anyone confirm this. if not ill check it out saturday :burnout:

hey bigwaylon, Is that your rubicon? I saw you guys there on Sunday. You and another guy had very similiar looking tjs. Was that you?

I was in the buggy.

StudNuts said:
hey bigwaylon, Is that your rubicon? I saw you guys there on Sunday. You and another guy had very similiar looking tjs. Was that you?

I was in the buggy.

no...his name is Chris...

maybe you saw him and his wife...same color, same bumpers, same wheels, same brand tires...both in Rubicons:

IMG_4383.sized.jpg

as info...mine looks like this:

IMG_4251.sized.jpg

Greg

i was up there on saturday late afternoon and rode every trail. even let my girlfriend drive the majority of the time... we didn't have any trouble or see anything major.

we must've missed all the people pulling cable and whatnot. :)

Well damn, if its gotten that much fun maybe I should bring the TJ up Greg.

Studdy, I didn't hear you had the buggy rolling or at least under its own power? How'd it turn out? Your around the corner right, bring it back to URE this weekend.

Did I still meet the Monday deadline?

Some of us in the Isuzu group hit Daniel on Saturday morning...

The lead rig was the only one with a winch, and after failing to climb it under their own power, they decided that it was a little too much for some of the lesser rigs in the group... Everyone came-up that far, one-at-a-time (most of them with a wee-bit of trouble), and then backed-over into the siding below/beyond the S-curve.

I was the Tailgunner, and had ZERO difficulty making it up to the rest of the group... However, despite the fact that I had the momentum, and no difficulty up to that point, for some reason or another (and I'll never know why!) I decided to go ahead and turn it around with everyone else. --- I could absolutely kick myself for it now, because given how my rig performed the rest of the weekend, there's a damned-good possibility that I might have made it - But I'll sure as hell never know now, will I? :rolleyes:

On our Saturday night run, a few of us ran Daniel backwards. --- I had the honor of driving Zman2day’s 4-Runner for that one, and was more impressed with that rig than any Daily-Driver that I’ve ever driven (including my own).

When we got to the drop at the top, we got out and walked the hill, checking to see what had changed since last October. --- After we got back to the top, a few rigs from of the Rover crowd had come-up behind us…

They watched as I took the 4-Runner (33 TSLs & ARBs f/r) down the by-pass - turned around at the bottom of the hill - and then came back up, sticking strictly to the far right… and I never even spun a tire.

(As dry as it was then, I know for a fact that my Rodeo would have made it too, although admittedly, I probably would have thrown a few pebbles here-and-there while I was at it.)

After a couple of minutes of chatting with us (but right before the second of us - a 1st gen Trooper - started on his way down) for some reason, the Rover guys turned around and headed back to camp.
[* shrug *]

I’m pleased to report that EVERYONE in our group took a turn - and EVERYONE made it down and back-up without any trouble at all. --- And if it hadn’t been for a couple of the shorter rigs with us that night, we most likely would have turned back down again and run the rest of the trail…

So, basically, after 5-days down there - about the ONLY thing in Uwharrie that I still don’t know about is that dang S-curve. :rolleyes:

Oh well… I guess there’s always next time, right?

Cheers!
Smiley

:nopics:

My truck is in pieces. Somebody get pictures of the 6-7 ft ledge this weekend.

DK

i climbed that ledge friday afternoon in my stock RC. i hit both bumpers multiple time while i tried, and after the 3rd or 4th try i had to stack 2 big rocks in the hole on the driver side to give me barely enough traction. it is big and nasty and will only get worse as the year goes on, and i honestly dont know that i could make it again.

Duane

Having ran it yesterday I don't believe that the ledge on Daniel is anywhere near some of the numbers I have seen being touted on a number of boards. I would say it is 4ft. maybe 5ft. tall. I can see how it would be pretty difficult wet but it really wasn't that hard dry. Of the seven vehicles in our group we only strapped up one and that was an XJ on 31's. He didn't even try it and wanted to be strapped up but I think he wouldn't have had any problems getting up had he tried it. Longer wheelbases seem to have the advantage over the short wheelbases. It also seemed that locked or not everyone in the group needed some momentum to make it up and over. The line on the right side worked for all of us.

I went today (sunday) I made it up the ledge fine, didn't really think it was that big, but it was VERY dry. I don't recall seeing that large ditch in the pic, so maybe it was filled in, or maybe I just didn't see it. The other guy with me was driving a stock YJ with 31" BFG MT's, and came up it with relatively no problem. He had more trouble at the top of Daniel in the loose bypass line but overall never had a problem.

maybe im missing what all the fuss is about.....but to me it looks like the typical obstacle on daniel????? I dont see where it has changed much from the past 3 years......oh well.

Josh

I don't either. It rained Friday night and we started on Daniel first thing saturday morning and had only two open diff jeeps on 31's that we had to strap. A couple of the smaller TJ's had to use some momentum but that was it. BTW, my wife drove up it in my TJ....

last time i was there it wasnt nearly as rutted out at the bottom as it was this time. its like more of that big rock was exposed this time, and the dirt at the bottom had be slung out or washed away. it was harder for me this weekend than it was last november. it is a typical daniel challenge though. ill be back next month, ill try it again.

Duane

I'm just wondering when it became a "ledge"... trail 2 has ledges. The picture below is a ledge (note that you can barely see the rear tires). That obstacle on Daniel is a short, steep section of a climb. Yes, it can be a PITA, but I was envisioning this straight up and down ledge as it was described.

(That's us looking for the locker that should have been in the front axle of Reid's 4-runner :flipoff2:)
IMG_1709_JPG_jpg.jpg

from the picture Joel posted it looks like someone has filled in teh ruts that were forming at the bottom.

Saturday the 16th i got my explorer on it and the back tires were at the bottom and the front tires were not sitting at the top of the ledge yet. Coming back down it that saturday some chicks with a TJ on 35's were dragging diffs as they hit the ruts at the bottom. I am guessing someone filled in the ruts that were forming. I agree that it doesnt look that bad now.

Actually while it might be a tough obstical, it looks alot safer than in previous years, before that obstical was actually ON the corner and several people rolled...... that is not a ledge...

looks like fall 2003

Couldn't find many pics of it, but here is my brother's XJ. Just after this pic he found a nail in that spot, and he limped it back to the trailer (and a patch kit) on the doughnut.

I was worried, but as long as it's dry it'll be good. I'm thinking I'll rub, but I'd make it open with 31's. (Probably won't get to try, may help with the noob run).

J

Attachments

• P1010034.JPG
    P1010034.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 628
Back