Daniel ?

98. Did you see some Land Cruisers out there ? That would of been my group.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I want to head out there soon. Blew a bunch of money this week getting the jeep ready so prob won't make the jamboree.

I went out today with the wife, and ran into a bulldozer on dickey bell clearing out the turn outs. Didn't make it to daniel, as I had the wife with me, and I was teaching her how to drive, so we did wolf den and slab pile later in the afternoon. We did get a good run through everything but daniel and dutch john. The trails were pretty dry, but a few sections where much rougher than I remember from last year. No stuckage, no breakage, and the wife did great. As much as she was against the whole "wheelin'" thing at first, shes been watching uwharrie youtube videos since we got home :)

I went out today with the wife, and ran into a bulldozer on dickey bell clearing out the turn outs. Didn't make it to daniel, as I had the wife with me, and I was teaching her how to drive, so we did wolf den and slab pile later in the afternoon. We did get a good run through everything but daniel and dutch john. The trails were pretty dry, but a few sections where much rougher than I remember from last year. No stuckage, no breakage, and the wife did great. As much as she was against the whole "wheelin'" thing at first, shes been watching uwharrie youtube videos since we got home :)
Wow my wife is exactly the same way with "wheelin". We are headed to California for a year and I looked up a few mild scenic rides. I am hoping I can get her used to it because she has committed to joining me on the Rubicon Trail. I don't want her to be terrified.:eek:ops:

When is the next work day to work on this?

Too far out that I know of, but I can guess it will have something to do with rocks and Daniel / Dutch John / Wolf Den. At least.

We just got a grant for the riprap. Worst case is we move it to the first ledge staging area.

Went and rode a little today Daniel was dry first ledge was a little washed out second ledge looks like a road did them both in 2wd
uploadfromtaptalk1396656635317.jpg

i saw someone else comment on possibly setting up a sunday workday. I have a set schedule, and I always work on saturdays, but would love to come out for a workday. I pick up trash along the trail when I'm out, but I want to do more than that. Does anyone else have any interest in a sunday workday?

Sediment traps are typically used for construction sites for temporary disturbances at or near outlets of storm water discharge. These require periodic maintenance and more frequently when servicing highly disturbed areas without source protection. I remind you of your fluvial hydraulic class, rain drops that fall on disturbed soil detach soil particles, as runoff occurs these detached particles are transported from their in-situ positions. The runoff velocity also has a propensity to detach soil particles and transport them to the outlet. (the old illustration of what is more erosive sediment laden flow or clear water?) Our best approach for long term disturbed area stabilization is to provide source protection. The source protection (erosion control) practices and flow control practices are much better suited to long term disturbed areas like roads and trails. If we can prevent the sediment from being detached and transported we do not have to provide treatment to remove the sediment from the flow before discharge. The eroded particle size distribution is critical in the design of the sediment traps and ponds. The efficiency of these devices is typically controlled by the surface area to peak discharge ratio. Therefore, for the particle size distributions in this area would require large surface areas to reach an acceptable efficiency of 80%. Remember the settling velocity in Ft/s is V=2.81d**2 where d is soil particle diameter in mm at a specific gravity of 2.65. This is hard to accomplish in steep slope sections without significant disturbances, tree cutting, etc. Bottom line not a good practice for trails in the forest.

Hence, the flow and erosion control practices in conjunction with "on trail" sediment control. The basis for the Daniel fix is a combination of upstream water bars for flow control above and below the ledges. The use of a specific designed sediment control device on trail below the lower ledge to contain the fill material and rebuild the trail elevation by capturing sediment and directing the flow off the trail to prevent additional erosion. The fix Snappy mentions is a structural rip rap check V from one hillside to the other with a structural core for support. The V controls the flow for discharge over the stone, or through it, allowing the sediment material to be retained by the check preventing the material from being kicked away by tire traffic or runoff. I have provided Snappy a cad drawing of the fix with approximate dimensions and materials list. It may take a few of these structures to raise the elevation of the trail over a period of time but they would be installed as the previous one filled.

We welcome your assistance in the installation and maintenance of the controls.

Frankly sir, the answer is so elemenatry I am going to let my chauffeur answer that one.

(I hope someone gets that Clower reference)

Man...I just remember why I said heeelllll no give me "lectricity" that water stuff is too hard...

i saw someone else comment on possibly setting up a sunday workday. I have a set schedule, and I always work on saturdays, but would love to come out for a workday. I pick up trash along the trail when I'm out, but I want to do more than that. Does anyone else have any interest in a sunday workday?

I'd be happy to join your crew assuming it's a day I'm available, just post up or message when you're thinking about doing this!

Shaggy

I will help you out there on a Sunday.

Sounds great, glad to hear there are some others willing to work on sundays, I'll check my schedule at work tomorrow(ive got a bunch of meetings to go to in the upcoming weeks) and see when a good one will be for me. I'll try to give at least a full week or 2 notice, so more than a couple can go out.

Im gonna head out there Friday night and stay the weekend weather allowing. Anyone going this weekend?

I have been up there 5 weekends in a row now. Body needs a break and so does my wallet for gas money.

I'm trying to get my buddy to go but he's pussy whipped so he might go, might not. I'm going either way if I have to camp out by myself

@Jake. I have a little project i need done if interested. Actually 2 different ones.

I would love to see the camp sites paid some love. Double checking fire rings, any downed limbs take care of, etc etc

The other is a detailed inventory of all trails that would invlude gps ing water bars, tail ditches, etc etc.

There are more things that can be done. I see what else is on the list this week.

I Willa holler closer to time but if there's anyone that's gonna be out there I would like to meet up and ride out. This will be my first trip out so it would be nice to have someone show me around

Back