Do you have metal building...snow damage?

marty79

hey guys so with all this snow we had I'm just curious how many of y'all have metal buildings carports Etc and how did the roof system hold up to twelve plus inches of snow. Some of my boss's here at work (24wide) spread like crazy up top

I have a 18 foot wide car port garage. Held up fine. Granite falls area
The 12, 18, 20, wide held up but his 3 24wides spread at the top about foot or so and are leaning pretty good. I guess the wider just couldn't handle the load.

Any properly designed and built metal building will handle 12” just fine. As far as those carports or carport type buildings, I’m surprised they hold up to anything above 2” and a light gust. It’s no surprise it’s failing with 12” of snow, unfortunately.

I raised my gutter issues in another thread. No snow guards.

I can say I removed 5 feet back for the whole length down each side. This is some really heavy snow. I don't recall any snow in my life time that was as dense as what I removed.

This may be coupled with the thaw and down hill run off. This morning I'm pretty tired and feeling the numerous trips up and down the ladder, blocking and tossing the snow.

A friend of mine (he's on here too) up in Bahama/Roxboro had his building fail spectacularly. I think something was wrong with the building, we didn't get that much snow and it flattened the entire building to like 12" off the ground. Destroyed his 66 Lemans, 69 Camaro, and 3rd gen Camaro.

A friend of mine (he's on here too) up in Bahama/Roxboro had his building fail spectacularly. I think something was wrong with the building, we didn't get that much snow and it flattened the entire building to like 12" off the ground. Destroyed his 66 Lemans, 69 Camaro, and 3rd gen Camaro.
What the what...that sucks

Check out the lean on this 24wide
IMG_20181211_093656990_HDR.jpg

The forward lean is almost 2ft lol, boss don't know he gone all week

picture makes it look like it isnt installed on a level surface.
The entire structural rigidity is dependent on being flat and level.

IMG_20181211_094555159_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181211_094640351_HDR.jpg

It was level lol

Hey look, no triangles.

Of course it's going to spread, there's nothing to keep it from doing that.
Hahaha yeah I was really surprised that we didn't go through and put the corner bracing in before the snow hit. he has 4ft U channel that usually goes in the corners and then he's got 12ft pieces that go in the center that he puts on other people's when he goes out and build them I don't know why he didn't do it on these before storm lol

Problem there is not necessary the load on the roof, but the fact that they bumped two of them together. Where did they anticipate the snow load to go between the two? Had they separated them, even by two feet, the snow loads would have slid off and piled up between the two car ports. Now, they are collecting in the valley created by the two.

Problem there is not necessary the load on the roof, but the fact that they bumped two of them together. Where did they anticipate the snow load to go between the two? Had they separated them, even by two feet, the snow loads would have slid off and piled up between the two car ports. Now, they are collecting in the valley created by the two.
Except the ridges in the panels are parallel to the eaves, so snow won't slide off. Worth the $ to get vertical panels so leaves, pine straw, snow can slide off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It doesn't look like the snow has slid off of anything.

It doesn't look like the snow has slid off of anything.
Nope they've been there awhile but couple inches of snow is all they've had till now.
I guess I have my work cut out for me

Except the ridges in the panels are parallel to the eaves, so snow won't slide off. Worth the $ to get vertical panels so leaves, pine straw, snow can slide off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good point. I didn't pay attention to that.

Each one needs siding on the open sides. That gives it strength.

Hey look, no triangles. :D

Of course it's going to spread, there's nothing to keep it from doing that. The front is not closed out at all, there's nothing resembling a rafter tie on anything, so the back wall is the only slightly rigid part because it's a shear plane.

We've had a similar discussion about roll cages with the same poster
:)

Hmm, timely discussion, was thinking of an el cheapo $??? carport style building for a "temp" outside workshop. Newer ones seem to have that A brace in the top and based on drkelly if you do the siding down each side they are stronger too? (and find out cost to do vertical siding versus horizontal) Not sure if this will take a $599-699-799 whatever to $999+++ etc!?

Do we have anyone in the industry that has a 'guy' in the Triad area? Trying to figure out how and where or if it will fit. (Will send pics when I can of my space)

Back