Documentary YJ Build

I'm almost positive the cases are all the same. You can swap the 6 pinion planetary unit in place of a 3. Plus a the inputs are swappable too so all you really need is the case.

There was a gear cut modification on the planetary sometime around 95. I’ve researched that this is definite for the np241C. First picture is like 88-94. Second picture is 95 and on. Jeep tcase uses the gears cut like the 95 and on.

2d0c9debfcf1da47dfcbd232d2488fca.jpg

2a6d5321dab4fec03b1e9b558f1351a2.jpg

I pulled all of this from pirate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the leaf spring shackles are in the front, when the suspension compresses, the axle actually swings forward so I doubt it was that hard bump that bottomed out the driveshaft.

Anyways, as soon as @Joe J. jeep rolls out of the shop (hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks), bring yours over and we'll get working on it.

You’re probably right. I can see on the slip yoke of the shaft where it made full compression at some point. I beat the crap out of it this trip. New U bolts from Barnes will be ordered as well.

Long as I have it back together in time for Harlan I’m good!

XJ going to Potts?

(There's no missing Potts and sweet meat)

Most likely. The family fits the XJ better and isn’t quite as hot in there as the YJ. Not sure I want to drive thru the briar patch in the XJ! Lol.

If the YJ is done in time and I have the custom cushion made in time I’ll take it. Currently my kids can’t fit safely in the rear of the Jeep. Need an upholstery shop to make a custom booster cushion.

All of this is just $$$$$$$$ lol

Most likely. The family fits the XJ better and isn’t quite as hot in there as the YJ. Not sure I want to drive thru the briar patch in the XJ! Lol.

If the YJ is done in time and I have the custom cushion made in time I’ll take it. Currently my kids can’t fit safely in the rear of the Jeep. Need an upholstery shop to make a custom booster cushion.

All of this is just $$$$$$$$ lol

how old are the kids? Can you put a booster seat back there for them?

how old are the kids? Can you put a booster seat back there for them?

7 & 3. The harnesses don’t tighten up enough to hold them, about a 6-7” custom fit cushion would do it.
I can’t fit booster seats I don’t think. I haven’t put a lot of effort I to figuring it out yet, but that’s next up because the whole family may go to Harlan in August.

After Chocco in AL, I had a split transfer case, janky trail fixed fuel lines and one of the caps had pushed out of my Yukon Super Joint.

I finally removed the transfer case. I had given a buddy what I thought was a 231 years ago and he never used it so he gave it back but it turned out to be a 242. It’s for sale. Cheap.

So only the front half cracked, not the rear. I scored a blank front half of a 231 from @amcjeepman to swap things.
Apparently the older cases have a different size detent assembly, or it’s because mine is from a Dodge but I’m now waiting to get a detent spring, pin, and plug, along with a new seal for the front output and I’ll have a transfer case again.
cf6dd74d3ec23442854649dec4e5ff90.jpg

So I now have 3 transfer cases in my garage all split apart and it’s a huge mess. One thing I can confirm for sure... a 231D does not have 6 planetary gears. It does have a wider chain though.
7b68af9d078e30b1c9872d6d30b0d52e.jpg

aadfc60fc376fb820f8117fbfaad4414.jpg

8902abfafa3c3b8fea374908e94a19ff.jpg

d2ffba49799dd42dc7a57fb520ffdeb9.jpg
5d1383c9c37546a3eb40ad47a5eb67e6.jpg

I also pulled the axle shaft to check the U joint. I was really hoping I was going to get by with just a $120 rebuild kit for the joint, but it got even better as it turned out it was just the snap ring was never seated all they way or something.
c6b7edf263bd4f17a7b45914fa1496e2.jpg

I knocked it back in, joint felt good and tight and I seated the snap ring. All is well, but I do need new grease fittings. Think I can get those at tractor supply, or will I need to order them from ECGS?

Finally got the transfer case fixed. 4 transfer cases later.

I could not find the right detent spring assembly for the front half of the case I was given. So 2 other friends each had some 231s laying around. One was cracked and one was good but didn’t have a SYE. So I once again tore things apart and combined my rear half with e new front half and a better set of planetary gear from one since mine were fried. I got it all back together tonight and hopefully I’ll have it back in tomorrow night.
I’ve taken some transfer cases apart before, twice to replace a chain. But not I’ve really been acquainted with a 231 and could take it apart and put it back together with my eyes closed!

I opened this case just totally assuming it was not full of fluid like a dummy.
D80CCDFB-E40C-46B3-AE58-6D3550000138.jpeg
F1CAD6AA-2F9C-49F4-B15D-8D32A831C85D.jpeg
AD124538-E85A-4297-BCD7-745B6F1CE9E2.jpeg

Broke my favorite hammer tonight :kaioken:

I should have this back together real soon. Then it’s on to fixing the AC in the tow rig, fix the seat in the XJ, drag it to Potts Mountain for a long weekend with CTB and my wife and kids, then I should be putting rock rings on this thing before Harlan. Man I got a lot to do.

Attachments

• 31576100-D354-4189-94C0-2D08D517AB8F.jpeg
    31576100-D354-4189-94C0-2D08D517AB8F.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 253
Got it all back together, went around the neighborhood and shifted thru hi and low, everything works as it should. I did find that my skid plate is cracked right where the anti-wrap bar mounts to it. It is starting to rip away! Luckily I’ve seen it now and I plan to drop the skid again and weld it up and possibly add some bracing before I head to Harlan.

Also, when I bought the Jeep the front hubs didn’t unlock, at least the driver side didn’t. I took the hub apart and quickly discovered why, there was an extra spring in there and one of the plastic pieces was turned around backward and would not engage or disengage like it was supposed to. All works as it should again. And the garage is clean again!

I’m actually close to having it road worthy again. I have a windshield, I just need to paint it and straighten out the passenger side bracket. I’m not trying to blast down the highway but it’d be nice to cruise it into town with the kids or be able to run down the road to a buddy’s house.

99003B95-D445-4CBC-8778-5E924702F83B.jpeg

Took the Jeep to Potts Mountain last weekend with the family. Had a blast, but I should have taken the XJ. The width and lack of top on this thing made for a rain shower of bugs and spiders pouring on my wife and kids. The trail there is seriously overgrown, so as I pushed thru bugs literally rained in the Jeep. My wife did not love that. But overall, fun was had.
BFEAD3FD-199C-4B77-9257-A0548862A468.jpeg

Back at home, headed to Harlan in 2 weeks so I’m trying to go over everything. Currently I have the H1s broken down, waiting on my rock rings from Trail Worthy Fab to arrive. Can’t brag on Andy at TWF enough, super nice and helpful guy.
I have the large rubber valve stems recommended from my other thread. Gonna drill the square hole out with a step but to accept the new valve stems. I’ll add a little RTV as I pull them in just for insurance. Hopefully the end of the my broken valve cores! Although I’m not excited to add 10lbs extra per wheel, as they are already super heavy.
A0AEC4E9-FA17-404B-8B0B-7981A8A18BCB.jpeg

A36986A0-EDE2-41C2-9344-043EB71F995D.jpeg

While I wait, I finally got my latest gadget installed. Picked this up on Amazon for $15. Now I can charge my phone, as can my passenger, keeping my tunes cranked on the trail!

C40FE376-0670-472F-B23A-1E472F38C1BD.jpeg
2B4726FE-B3DE-465F-9114-9511534DA71F.jpeg
D4032B2D-CA9D-40FB-A3DD-D9A1C7625952.jpeg

I did not have a hole saw for the this thing, and wasn’t able to run to the hardware store so I scarified my 7/8 socket. Got it good and hot and just melted a hole. It’s not stupid if it works...
AF16609F-739C-4D6B-96C1-83D6C8B72801.jpeg

Also, I did not like the small Grant steering wheel on the Jeep. It was too small, and it wasn’t in good shape. @Van-go had given me a stock wheel, and I finally got around to putting that on. Should make the steering feel a lot better!
75DE13D9-4767-40C2-872A-AB1F02A42C8A.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, the rear seat just isn’t working out for me. I’m going to sell it and put a stock rear seat in. I should have went that route to begin with.

So when are we going to see a 4 link/coilover build? :D

Probably never, but maybe. I may do that but as of now my plan is to maintain the Jeep at this stage, with some upgrades but nothing major like that. It just flat out works. If I can enjoy it like this a few years I’ll sell it and get my money or at least most of it back out of it, add to that and just buy a turnkey 1 ton V8 rig. I just don’t have the time/tools/place to do such a task. I also lack some of the smarts, I know a lot and have more than a general understanding but when it comes to putting it all together I’m not as confident.

Are you ever going to get rid of that ridiculous vent line up front?

Are you ever going to get rid of that ridiculous vent line up front?

The one you never got rid of either? :D
Man that was the STYLE in the early 2000s!!

I haven’t even thought about it till you pointed it out just now. I’ve had a few people as what it is. I just never think about it lol

The one you never got rid of either? :D
Man that was the STYLE in the early 2000s!!

I haven’t even thought about it till you pointed it out just now. I’ve had a few people as what it is. I just never think about it lol
Can’t tell you how many people frantically waved me down to tell me my coil spring was bent and fallen out. :shaking:

And I had to represent for @Loganwayne. I’ve had one on my cooler since last year, but Jody hooked me up with some swag and included another one.
#BTL is my internet wheeling buddy who I’ve actually never met. But we are best friends now.
AC57CC61-90E7-4309-B631-5FDDEF3B3702.jpeg

Btw, first drive since putting the stock steering wheel back on and holy cow what a difference! It is soooo much better now!

Haven’t updated since Harlan. Most know I flipped it over and blew up the rear axle while there. Good times. @CasterTroy can post a YouTube link if he’d be so kind.

Tire dropped in the hole on the waterfall while I was on the rev limiter. Bad driving on my part, should have hit it harder. Oh well, fun was had.

When the shaft broke it blew out the bearings and cracked the carrier. But it did not break the 3rd luckily.
7f5efff5506e0e30aa7acdd51c0a3f67.jpg

d7d16b519721245e803b037063663574.jpg

fa665eb75fbb496b4ad593d8e7bb4b57.jpg

d4b5a142bd5f6a87150b80c37fe8e3a8.jpg

Back