Documentary YJ Build

I got these from Rent N’ Roll.

I’m sold and will certainly be buying a set. The difference is night and day. Mind blowing. I had a good friend let me borrow them. It was worth it.

I got these from Rent N’ Roll.

I’m sold and will certainly be buying a set. The difference is night and day. Mind blowing. I had a good friend let me borrow them. It was worth it.
Atlas or stickies? which first?

Atlas or stickies? which first?

He only broke the tcase cause a leafs spring broke and sent the axle back. Trying to talk him into linking the front since he's done this twice.

It’s actually shocking how thin the aluminum is on those cases. After cutting into one you can practically tear it in half with your hands after the crack forms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks. It seems like you either need some military wrap leaf springs or go all out and link it. Or just fix it and sell it, LOL.

Was this the same spring that broke last time, or did the other side break last time?

That sucks. It seems like you either need some military wrap leaf springs or go all out and link it. Or just fix it and sell it, LOL.

Was this the same spring that broke last time, or did the other side break last time?

Last time was just the center pin on the opposite side. This was the first time I’ve ever broken a spring.

Since I already have a spring and have found a T case for cheap I’ll probably get it back together like it’s been for a bit but I’m strongly considering 3 linking it next year. Really I thought I’d have already done it, but I get paid commission and the last few months have been awful for me with COVID. I’m in no hurry to fix it and it’s probably gonna sit for a while anyway. I’m gonna take a break and stop spending.

He could fab up the shackle hanger so it limited the back travel of the shackle. Or
Last time was just the center pin on the opposite side. This was the first time I’ve ever broken a spring.

Since I already have a spring and have found a T case for cheap I’ll probably get it back together like it’s been for a bit but I’m strongly considering 3 linking it next year. Really I thought I’d have already done it, but I get paid commission and the last few months have been awful for me with COVID. I’m in no hurry to fix it and it’s probably gonna sit for a while anyway. I’m gonna take a break and stop spending.
Fab something up that keeps the shackle from rotating so far back. Like when people mount Cherokee springs to the front crossmember and the shackles hit the front “bumper” when they come backwards.

I acquired a transfer case last week. Gonna take the SYE and stuff out of mine and put in this cause, replace the broken main leaf, shorten the front drive shaft 2” and keep wheeling. Not sure when I’ll start, really have no motivation right now and doing it all with hand tools brings the suck, but I need to get on it before it gets too cold.

I really, really wanna 3 link the front with coil overs next year, but I also need tires, and gonna have to pick one or the other.
I’m also making literally half of what I was this time last year thanks to COVID, so there’s that.

I acquired a transfer case last week. Gonna take the SYE and stuff out of mine and put in this cause, replace the broken main leaf, shorten the front drive shaft 2” and keep wheeling. Not sure when I’ll start, really have no motivation right now and doing it all with hand tools brings the suck, but I need to get on it before it gets too cold.

I really, really wanna 3 link the front with coil overs next year, but I also need tires, and gonna have to pick one or the other.
I’m also making literally half of what I was this time last year thanks to COVID, so there’s that.
Unless you changed it up that main leaf was from an aftermarket lift leaf set. It was thicker & longer than a stock waggy main leaf.
If you really want to shorten the front shaft more I have a long slip section of driveshaft you can have so you can run it with more splines sticking out. It was actually the rear shaft out of that Jeep when I bought it.

I have changed anything. The other main leaf I have is what came with the Jeep when I got it from you. I’ve just assumed it was the same length?

I have changed anything. The other main leaf I have is what came with the Jeep when I got it from you. I’ve just assumed it was the same length?
Remember I had drilled out the frame side mount further back cause these were longer than the stock waggy springs. If you use the stock one I gave you you’ll probably need to use the stock hole on the frame side mount.

Attachments

• 5098A592-E17A-4D2D-B724-2840CCABB113.jpeg
    5098A592-E17A-4D2D-B724-2840CCABB113.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 183
Remember I had drilled out the frame side mount further back cause these were longer than the stock waggy springs. If you use the stock one I gave you you’ll probably need to use the stock hole on the frame side mount.

Well crap.

Maybe skip the coilovers for JK coils and reuse current shocks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Maybe skip the coilovers for JK coils and reuse current shocks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Certainly makes it more affordable. I would think it might ride pretty rough though unless I went with some nice dual rate coils and good shocks. By the time I buy all of that, plus could buckets, I’m not too far away from the cost of coil overs.

I can grantee you jk springs and cheap white body shocks will ride 10x better than leafsprings.....

x2. JK springs are also Dual rate. One rate is rather short, but they do have a 2 stage coil winding. There are a number of rigs built around here that have used stock JK springs, and they do awesome. Id say you might know someone with takeout JK/JLs that you could get free. If you are happy with the shocks you are running now, then reuse them.

You can also pick up pogos for a few hundred, if you keep your eye out.

I am not sure if you have any link materials, but you can occasionally pickup aftermarket Jeep control arms for cheap, and sleeve them to get your desired length. I have even built some using stock control arm bushings and making fixed length lowers. Heck, years ago we had a few rigs running tractor joints as a "temp" control arm until they could swing heims. Those rascals rattled and squeaked, but they put up with a ton of abuse for atleast a yr. Just throwing it out there that it can be done cheaper if needed. Esp if you are going to need to buy new leafs.

Last edited:
Another vote for either JK coils (did that on a TJ stretch I did) or some Metalcloak dual rate springs. Had them on my XJ and they were great

After extensive discussion about my floor sweeping hours, proven sales record and roll cage testing, there’s a plan for some work to get done over at Rev Limit Fab in the near future.

I am actually sitting in my garage floor now with my forehead pressed against the Jeep in a sad state of depression after discovering the “spare” main leaf I have is in fact too short. The mains that are on it are much thicker and a bit longer. I have no idea what spring I actually need, and the passenger side spring is looking pretty sad too.

Back