DoubleMint: A Ranger Story

What's the plan for the bed?!

I have a loose idea about shortening the wheelbase 10” and doing a 4 link. I’m thinking to front bob this bed (+ rear bob and/or dovetail too?) and get this one ready for a swap to minimize down time. I was originally thinking to section the frame, but for a dual bob, it might make more sense to just tube under the bed instead of keeping the original frame. From there, my imagination runs away with my check book...

I took one this morning for you.

4991DB40-B4FF-4E81-96C2-CF46E80D64EF.jpeg

Looks good man. I picked up a cherokee the same color!

Looks good...
Is the front bumper something you made / modified?

Deep down in my heart I wanted to build it myself, but life is full of compromise. The bumper is this one from Affordable Offroad: Elite Ford Ranger Modular Plain Front Winch Bumper 1993-1997 - Affordable Offroad

It tucks up to the body a bit closer in the photos on their website. I might have to see if I can make some adjustments to get it closer to the bottom of the grille. I get that he probably had to make it modular for shipping purposes, but would rather have had the side wings welded on vs bolt on. Also, the side wings are only 1/8" steel plate and I think 3/16" probably would hold up better to wheeling. I'm interested to see how it holds up over time. That being said, it is a well made bumper. The welds look great and it doesn't look like he took any shortcuts on it. It also came with an abundance of hardware.

I also need to trim the wings back from the wheel wheel. Since my front fenders have been trimmed, the bumper sticks into the wheel wheel at least 3". Of course that didn't occur to me until after I had it powdercoated :shaking:. I was lazy and didn't test fit it. I should have.

Last edited:
Got the bumper adjusted upward as much as possible and the winch installed. Not digging that 10 lb hook so much, so might look to replace that in the future. What’s the best replacement for under $50? Plain old d-ring?

35B86A67-1896-41BC-A973-36F5C31F2D19.jpeg

I have the same winch and had the hook connected on a d ring like that on my bumper. I hit it on rocks all the time. I went with the Factor 55 flat link. It sits flat agaisnt the fair fairlead and is up out of the way of rocks.

They make the one Chris posted that has a pin and you don't have to splice it.

FlatLink E (EXPERT) – Factor 55

ProLink – Factor 55

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not much to see here lately. I refilled the blinker fluid (and replaced the bulb) which fixed my RH turn signal. I made a cover for the hole in the cab floor (for the rotor) out of a mich ultra box. Nothing but the finest fabrication techniques. :lol:

Oh yeah, and I had a great time at the beach with the CTB guys and gals last month. No issues with Doublemint at all.

I know:

:nopics:

EB5AE30A-3AE1-4092-BF1F-928A3300AB1A.jpeg

C7A5DC7E-57AF-415A-A851-52B429A4229B.jpeg

20BA7D47-75A6-446D-A3CB-ACF94208A89B.jpeg

Doing some little things to get ready for Potts next weekend.

I put a ‘return’ spring on the caliper arm of the Xcase ebrake in the hopes of reducing on road vibrations some:
9BC8840F-3720-47E9-9A1B-1BC46B33A77A.jpeg

Replaced the broken floor bridge thingy in the back of the Ex so I would have full length air mattress support:
7DA65C49-0580-4200-A23B-B8C8EA526C22.jpeg

Installed some vent visors on the Ex and made mosquito nets (not pictured) so I can get some air flow at night without the bugs.
22D28588-F9C1-4FD8-BBF1-2BFCE63BCF3C.jpeg

This is the Hook I'm running. Can be a little awkward to work, but it's Safe.
List Price: $46.40
Price: $37.12 USD
Item #: SELFLOCK-SWVL-HK-30

Couldn't get the picture to load.

That hook looks huge on my computer screen but I like the price! I'll have to browse that website, looks like they have quite a few cool things.

I needed a secure mount for my phone. I've been just throwing it in one of those $2 walmart cup holders that's screwed into my floor, but as you can imagine, that's no bueno. So I ordered up one of these RAM mounts to test out. If this one works out well, I'll probably buy more for my other vehicles.

ram.jpg

For the phone, one option, though not ideal, is that SONY (e.g., XAV-AX5000) has an Apple Car play receiver that is DIN II size on the front, but the electronics on the back is DIN I in size.
This would allow one to replace the DIN 1 stereo with a SONY DIN II system.

Back DIN II.jpg Front DIN II.jpg

The trick would be to have the DIN II unit go back just far enough to still access the HVAC controls underneath the new DIN II radio. An enclosure would be needed to make the exposed DIN 1 Part of the SONY DIN II system look nice. The advantage would be to have a Apple or Samsung type phone and a screen for GPS, Waze, Spotify, etc. and not have to make major modifications to the dash. There may be other solutions...

That hook looks huge on my computer screen but I like the price! I'll have to browse that website, looks like they have quite a few cool things.

I needed a secure mount for my phone. I've been just throwing it in one of those $2 walmart cup holders that's screwed into my floor, but as you can imagine, that's no bueno. So I ordered up one of these RAM mounts to test out. If this one works out well, I'll probably buy more for my other vehicles.

View attachment 298547

I use them on the bikes, they work good.

Back