Enclosed "race" trailers

SHINTON

I wanted to see if anyone knew of a good source for these, preferably used! The "race" trailers are often fixed up nice already on the front, drawers, A/C, fridge, etc. and decent room in the back. I know this is NASCAR country and lots of "would be Earnhardts" who have come back to reality selling off their stuff....and hoping I can find a deal.

The biggest issue I am having is finding one TALL enough for BUG. It is 6'11" or so tall (I know I BARELY can get in my 7' garage door), and most of these trailers seem to have doors only about 6'6" or so.

I don't think I can drop off 6" off the BUG (36s, SOA, 4" lift springs, no body lift...) without more work than it is worth. I would rather build my own trailer if I had to.

This sorta leads me to the second half of this, if I cannot find one, how hard would this be to build vs. a "car hauler" like BRUISER is building now? Walls are "easy" but a roof is where I am scratching my head.

...not sure it would be worth it, hopefully I will just end up finding the right trailer to start with! (Yes I have seen the Toy Hauler campers and I like em, but most of them are still pretty pricy, my goal here is $5,000 or less...prefer WAY less)

Final option...is to simply buy a 22-24' trailer, and slap a camper on the front as we have discussed before. Since I will be pulling this with the Excursion, I am leaning towards using a popup, sitting sideways.

Ok...so give me the thoughts!!!

Sam H

If you have portable air, just let the air out of your tires, you should be able to fit it in then. ;)

...hmm, hadn't really thought of that, but not a bad idea... I know I dont want to be swappin tires at the campsite, too much work for my lazy butt...

Sam...(like air in his tires normally)...Hinton

Don't forget that BUG weighs about 1500lbs more than the average circle track car... The guys I know with "toy hauler" trailers always bought theirs new, and speced them out for the weight.. There's a good thread on the PBB discussing this..

Letting the air out might work, but will you be too wide?

Johnson said his hauler was very cheap to upgrade the interior height on, so ya just might find one...

Don't forget about the wheel houses, either. Most enclosed trailers have wheel houses that intrude into the floor of the interior. If you can't fit between 'em, you'll have to go over... and that's going to mean even more head clearance.

You might get lucky finding a used one, but methinks you'll have to buy one spec'd to your requirements.

Either way. someone is gonna be dropping some ching ching on this. Might as well get what you want the first time, get something that gives you room for expansion in the future, esp. if you go off the deep end and buy something bigger, like a blazer.

Just to let you know.. the reason I am building one is because I got all steel FREE yes i said FREE :) I also got a great deal on axles yes GREAT 45% off... and I really like building things...

If I did not get these deals I would have bought one cause thee is no way I could do it as cheap as the sell them.

Also check out:
Trailco
336-668-2294
7609 Canoe Rd
I-40 exit 210 ( airport exit)

They rent trailer and end at the end of each year they sell those off to build new ones
might be able to get a good deal..

Ken C

What did you ever find on this Sam?

I'm considering going suburban/excursion but need a trailer for "pick-up duty" as well as to maybe haul the jeep.

I was considering getting 2 trailers, an enclosed for my motorcycles, then a car hauler for the jeep, but if I could get a little bigger enclosed 'd just need one trailer for everything.

Did you find it to be crazy expensive?

All the race trailers are 6'6" at the door unless you order em special/tall. So...if you are building a rig then that would be a good spec to stay under which is hard to do unless you go buggy. (Or smaller tires)

Dually with camper in it and pulling trailer is prob next best option.

Longer trailer (30') would be next option and either snag a Truck camper and bolt on there, or remove axles from a pop up and bolt it on the front. (which causes weight issues on the tongue WHEN your jeep isn't on trailer too)

You can buy a special built camper/race/enclosed trailer...they start in the 20k range and quickly hit 30k+ Some guys on PBB have em, and Chris Johnson has one. (He is a dayton regular)

But with stock rollers it would go in without a problem.....right?

So if you got a 16ft car hauler you'd have the 4 ft in front to put the tires.

16 footer would be perfect for bikes as well....I could get 6 bikes in there for track days :D

PLUS, it would make for storage for your rig, so the wife could acually USE the garage (points)

BRUISER said:
Also check out:
Trailco
336-668-2294
7609 Canoe Rd
I-40 exit 210 ( airport exit)
They rent trailer and end at the end of each year they sell those off to build new ones
might be able to get a good deal..
Ken C

is "end of each year" December? or is there a trailer "season" that you're talking about?

do they do normal hauler trailers, or enclosed trailers?

Thanks.
Greg

Changing tires when you unload and load sucks. even with air tools.

Don't build your junk on rockwells and you can keep it narrow enough to fit..

You could also consider sucking down the front suspension with a winch to go over the wheel tubs.

Rich said:
Don't build your junk on rockwells and you can keep it narrow enough to fit

I don't have the GUTS it takes to drive a vehicle built on rockwells, so chances of that are slim to none.....and slim just got up and walked out :D

I do go to the beach and to southern Illinois once a year. And OH how nice it would be to take a family truxter as well as a "fun" vehicle. Especially in a comfy enclosed trailer that would mask whats inside.

bigwaylon said:
is "end of each year" December? or is there a trailer "season" that you're talking about?
do they do normal hauler trailers, or enclosed trailers?
Thanks.
Greg

Not 100% sure..

I called them like 2 years ago anf that is what they told me.. I would suggest calling and asking..

HAULERS

I looked at them about two years ago. They are expensive(for what you get), and very heavy. The weight of each unit I looked at was the deciding factor to stop considering them.

CasterTroy said:
I don't have the GUTS it takes to drive a vehicle built on rockwells, so chances of that are slim to none.....and slim just got up and walked out :D
I do go to the beach and to southern Illinois once a year. And OH how nice it would be to take a family truxter as well as a "fun" vehicle. Especially in a comfy enclosed trailer that would mask whats inside.

Give me a heads up when you come back to Illinois , maybe we can meet up.

Back