Enclosed trailer tire and axle thoughts...

So the question is, is the risk of having an over length RV/trailer combo worth it? How probable is it to be pulled over and ticketed for that?

Some states allow more than a 75’ combined length but other states only allow 60’. So realistically, if you are an OTR trucker, you can’t be more than 60’ long since you travel through NC even if your state allows 75’?

Ther has to be something that allows for longer than 60’ in NC or whatever state you are registered in. Most tractor trailers are 48’ or 53’. 99% of those trailers along with the tractor are well beyond the 60’ length and run in NC regularly.

So the question is, is the risk of having an over length RV/trailer combo worth it? How probable is it to be pulled over and ticketed for that?

Some states allow more than a 75’ combined length but other states only allow 60’. So realistically, if you are an OTR trucker, you can’t be more than 60’ long since you travel through NC even if your state allows 75’?

Ther has to be something that allows for longer than 60’ in NC or whatever state you are registered in. Most tractor trailers are 48’ or 53’. 99% of those trailers along with the tractor are well beyond the 60’ length and run in NC regularly.

Be sure theres a "Not For Hire" sticker on the truck and trailer and you probably will never be bothered unless you have some lights out.

We towed a 32’ flatbed trailer behind a 40’ bus multiple times from nc to Minnesota. We never had any probs except that it got tight in towns and backing up was a bit difficult. Cops never gave us trouble. Actually had more taking pics and giving the thumbs up than hassling us. But we generally run under the speed limit to let traffic pass us.

How probable is it to be pulled over and ticketed for that?

Judging by the guys that tow similar trailers behind 40ft buses to go racing, the answer is "it depends". It's like towing without enough weight on your truck tag. Pull it on I85 through Salisbury or on 321 to Boone, probably going to get pulled.

The "fix" is to get a CDL and put truck tags on the bus. The law doesn't say nothing can be longer than X feet, it says you can't be longer than that and be considered a recreational vehicle and fall under the recreational vehicle exemptions.

But once it has truck tags on it and using a CDL, log books come into play, DOT numbers, weigh stations, dot restrictions in hours driving, etc.

Nothing is ever easy, or cheap.

But once it has truck tags on it and using a CDL, log books come into play, DOT numbers, weigh stations, dot restrictions in hours driving, etc.

Nothing is ever easy, or cheap.

Are you driving for hire commercially?

tractor trailers arent governed by the same laws you are.
FHWA prohibits states from enacting laws limiting length of commercial vehicles.

Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles - FHWA

If you wanna read

Exactly what I was going to cite.

Judging by the guys that tow similar trailers behind 40ft buses to go racing, the answer is "it depends". It's like towing without enough weight on your truck tag. Pull it on I85 through Salisbury or on 321 to Boone, probably going to get pulled.

The "fix" is to get a CDL and put truck tags on the bus. The law doesn't say nothing can be longer than X feet, it says you can't be longer than that and be considered a recreational vehicle and fall under the recreational vehicle exemptions.

Need to look into it to confirm, but I don't think even with a CDL or non-commercial Class A you can get around the length restriction without towing something with a tractor trailer. The length restriction seems to be tow vehicle dependent, not license class dependent.

source: I have a non-commercial class A license.

log books, DOT #s, etc. only really apply if you are for hire, or are carrying commercial goods. We have a bucket truck at work with a 26k gvw and not required to have a books and #s because it is used for our business only and we do not use it to haul commercial goods. 10k is also the transition point for commercial vehicles in that respect vs 26k for a CDL.

Need to look into it to confirm, but I don't think even with a CDL or non-commercial Class A you can get around the length restriction without towing something with a tractor trailer. The length restriction seems to be tow vehicle dependent, not license class dependent.

Good point. It's actually trailer-dependent. The trailer has to be a semi-trailer (5th wheel or gooseneck). I'm looking at 20-166.e. I thought the length restriction was specific to recreational vehicles (and it is, kinda), but there's a separate requirement that applies more broadly for combination vehicles.

Good point. It's actually trailer-dependent. The trailer has to be a semi-trailer (5th wheel or gooseneck). I'm looking at 20-166.e. I thought the length restriction was specific to recreational vehicles (and it is, kinda), but there's a separate requirement that applies more broadly for combination vehicles.

Right, that's what I was referring to. I should have cited that section, my mistake. I'm assuming that a "semi-trailer" means a trailer designed to be pulled behind a tractor trailer, aka a 5th wheel, but I don't know for sure.

I'm assuming that a "semi-trailer" means a trailer designed to be pulled behind a tractor trailer, aka a 5th wheel,

Yeah, it's defined that way earlier in the chapter. It doesn't say specifically that it has to have a kingpin, so it sounds like gooseneck is included in the definition.

Saw this today and thought about this thread.

Saw a longer RV and longer trailer sitting at someone's house but couldn't get my phone out fast enough
31617e282faae193769d5da2183993da.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am about 62' with this setup. I am also looking for a enclosed trailer which would probably put me over 65'.
cea5c40884b5713d95d177343029e74b.jpg

log books, DOT #s, etc. only really apply if you are for hire, or are carrying commercial goods. We have a bucket truck at work with a 26k gvw and not required to have a books and #s because it is used for our business only and we do not use it to haul commercial goods. 10k is also the transition point for commercial vehicles in that respect vs 26k for a CDL.

This is

This is a little different... But the whole "not for hire" thing is not the same as it was. The new electric log book deal is messing that up. Apparently they are after hot shotters who are skirting the law and Obama fucked a lot of other people at the same time.

Best thing you can do is make sure the trailer and bus does not have any stickers on it. If hoy look like a "race team" you are gonna get heckeled. There is a big thread on pirate about it. I cannot remember the name of it tho. Apparently the horse people /cattle farmers are being hit by it.

^^ From a man that hated ST tires and tried LT tires.

Back