Fawk Cingular

Well I Know that Cingular bought some of Virgina from suncom, and then sold all of what use to be AT&T to suncom for NC.

What are you saying that is coming to an end, is suncom putting up it's own towers or are they just not going to offer service anymore in alot of areas they use to have service.

I believe one of the suncom towers is in the parking lot of my building at work, it started out being a temoporary tower that is on a trailer, it was like that for like 3 years or so. Then about a month ago they came and put up this huge tower that looks like it is going to have alot of cell phone tower on it. Then these tritonpcs employees came and moved alot of equipment from the trailor to the big tower's building. But it was like 2 days before this my cingular service went to shit, and I can not roam on the suncom tower. The reason I belive that I was roaming on a suncom tower is because if I do not dial the area code I get a message from suncom.

Because talking to the rep one told me that they ended there roaming agreement, and I will no longer be able to roam, so I was going to be like you are going to end my contract now and I am not going to have to pay since you do not have all the service that you had when I signed up for my contract. He was like let me transfer you, so they the other people said that they did not stop the agreement, and that we will continue to work on suncom towers because that is how almost all of NC is getting service by using suncom towers. THey also mentioned that they are doing alot of system integration in the area and that might be the problem. But they said they were going to open a support ticket and I should know something by monday or tuesday next week.

BIGWOODY said:
Suncom has 9 towers of its own in NC, it roams off of cingular the rest of the time and now that is coming to an end.
Uh, no.
Not even close.
We have over 1200 towers in north carolina, south carolina, part of Tennesee and Georgia.
Not sure where you got that severe misinformation.
What has happened is Cingular has gotten mad about outcollect (the check they have to send Suncom when Cingular customers use our towers) and has cut off the ability to roam onto Suncom in areas where Cingular has service. So, with Taz, the cingular tower is miles away, Suncom tower is in the back yard, but cingular doesn't want to have to pay us (Suncom) for the 15-20 people using their phones all day.
The only time, as a Suncom customer, you will roam onto Cingular is in an area where we don't have service at all. The same goes for Cingular.
What happened with Cingular and Suncom is this.
Cingular had no service in most of Va. Suncom did.
They offered to let Suncom take over all of At&t's old towers and customers in North Carolina (filling the gap we had in service where At & t was) in exchange for our towers and customers in Va.
They also gave us 175 million dollars and the entire service system in Puerto Rico.
I know this because I have worked for Suncom since before there was a Suncom.

The easy solution then, is just to not do business with either one of them. I used to have Cingular. Realized it sucked, got a phone on a CDMA network. Done, and done.

uglyjeepoffroad said:
Bruiser, when Suncom took over AT&T in Raleigh, your service should not have changed in the least. We kept every tower AT&T ever had. The only thing that changed is the name. If you got out of your contract and got something that fits you better, I am glad.

ya I have no idea.. what chnaged but when suncom took over I could not use AOL (really) on my cell anymore .. so I had a valid reason ( kinda lame reason.. I admit ) but hey something did change and it got me out of my contract and So far I am very very Happy with Verizon.. not many places I loose service and the places I do are the same places that I had trouble with AT&T/Suncom...

I've had a Cingular pay-as-you-go for about a year or so, and the phone seems to work okay WHERE THERE'S A SIGNAL, but I took it along on my first trip to URE. Got a signal at a gas station somewhere up 109 from the Outpost, but tried it again there and ZIPPO.

So I got a Tracfone at Walmart and it at least worked AT the Outpost. The signal didn't quite want to go all the way into the forest, but it was a lot closer to it than 15 miles.

What I mostly didn't like about the Cingular was that no matter how much money you put on it, if you didn't use up all the minutes within 90 days, any you had left went poof. No rollover for pay-as-you-go. :mad:

I'll be getting another Tracfone soon for the wife. She took this one on a trip to Florida to visit an old friend, and it also worked fine down there.

Where did you say you can donate used phones, again?

Back