FB MP finds of the day.

@rockcity

@rockcity
Mine works damn good. If the mill they make is like the chippers I need one. It's not an industrial power house by any means but if will work me hard enough I need to take a break.

@rockcity

That’s CHEAP! Wish I waited before buying this earlier this summer. :D

87EAF1B1-1162-4867-A50B-09671A47E09D.jpeg

My friend in Hartsville has one of theirs. It's what I'm thinking I'll get. There was a 130 on marketplace that kept popping up. Don't see it now.

Good mill for the $. Awesome customer support too. And they ship quick. I had intended on a Woodmizer LT15 but at an 18 month lead time, I got this one. Saved some $ and it works great for my needs.

Good mill for the $. Awesome customer support too. And they ship quick. I had intended on a Woodmizer LT15 but at an 18 month lead time, I got this one. Saved some $ and it works great for my needs.
Those LT15's are kind of in a funny spot. They are like some type of sawmill bait. They seem cheap enough to make sense, but then you realize that's with no features and they are twice as much as a Woodland, and if you add the wide head and power features, you might as well step up to the next model.

Those LT15's are kind of in a funny spot. They are like some type of sawmill bait. They seem cheap enough to make sense, but then you realize that's with no features and they are twice as much as a Woodland, and if you add the wide head and power features, you might as well step up to the next model.

Yep. That’s what caught my eye but I’d probably end up with something different. I saw the new LT15 at a trade show last summer and it was pretty slick but is still their entry level hobby mill with a few fancy upgrades and a higher price tag. For the $, I think there are better options. I mean, a nice HudSon Oscar36 is much nicer and more capable and cheaper.

Yep. Much easier than the hand crank winch. Although I have a tractor, there is an occasional log that’s too big and I need the ramps and winch.
Is it hooked to the track?

The 130 with a trailer is what I was leaning towards dreaming about getting. I really enjoyed milling with the chainsaw BUT it was a lot of work and would heat up my arm and hand.

Good to know.

Yep. That’s what caught my eye but I’d probably end up with something different. I saw the new LT15 at a trade show last summer and it was pretty slick but is still their entry level hobby mill with a few fancy upgrades and a higher price tag. For the $, I think there are better options. I mean, a nice HudSon Oscar36 is much nicer and more capable and cheaper.
I'm not familiar with that one. I think I'll be reaching out to you two if I decide to get one.

The Oscar seems like a mix of a few good upgrades with a foundation of really cheap everything. The price is even wankers. It's high but all you get is a odd package of flimsy with a great bearing head support. I like the four post head but without seeing one in person it reflects what I see in a lot of the Hudson mills. Great ideas with "trampoline tube approach".

Have you saw one in person? The orange and green units I have.

I personally want a Cooks by choice. But that money is stupid as well.

Is it hooked to the track?

The 130 with a trailer is what I was leaning towards dreaming about getting. I really enjoyed milling with the chainsaw BUT it was a lot of work and would heat up my arm and hand.

Good to know.

I'm not familiar with that one. I think I'll be reaching out to you two if I decide to get one.

The bunks have a tube for manual adjusted log stops. Pull out the log stop and drop the winch post in. Winch up and pull the post out to mill. It can be cumbersome if you have to do it for every log but the 3 times I’ve ever had to do it, it’s fine.

The Oscar seems like a mix of a few good upgrades with a foundation of really cheap everything. The price is even wankers. It's high but all you get is a odd package of flimsy with a great bearing head support. I like the four post head but without seeing one in person it reflects what I see in a lot of the Hudson mills. Great ideas with "trampoline tube approach".

Have you saw one in person? The orange and green units I have.

I personally want a Cooks by choice. But that money is stupid as well.

I’ve seen a hudSon but it was an older unit. It was a little more robust than what it seems. I like the 4 post head to keep it from wobbling. I do like the Cooks as well. One thing I still can’t wrap my head around is the cantilevered design typical of the Woodmizers. Just seems like a perfect opportunity for excessive play over time.

The bunks have a tube for manual adjusted log stops. Pull out the log stop and drop the winch post in. Winch up and pull the post out to mill. It can be cumbersome if you have to do it for every log but the 3 times I’ve ever had to do it, it’s fine.
I was asking about the hook side of the winch. I see how the winch post is and am familiar with the log stops. Is the hook that wraps around the log got a insert is attaches to?

I’ve seen a hudSon but it was an older unit. It was a little more robust than what it seems. I like the 4 post head to keep it from wobbling. I do like the Cooks as well. One thing I still can’t wrap my head around is the cantilevered design typical of the Woodmizers. Just seems like a perfect opportunity for excessive play over time.
The cantilever you refer to the way the head is mounted to its rolling system?

I was asking about the hook side of the winch. I see how the winch post is and am familiar with the log stops. Is the hook that wraps around the log got a insert is attaches to?

The cantilever you refer to the way the head is mounted to its rolling system?

Yeah. I just put the hook onto anything. Parbuckle pulley system. Pretty easy and low stress on the equipment.

Yeah, the woodmizer mills head is cantilevered from one side instead of a 2 or 4 post track like everyone else. Seems odd but it seems to work. Not sure of the long term affects but as with anytning cantilevered and moving, it will sag to some degree over time. Maybe it’s not enough to worry about.

Yeah. I just put the hook onto anything. Parbuckle pulley system. Pretty easy and low stress on the equipment.

Yeah, the woodmizer mills head is cantilevered from one side instead of a 2 or 4 post track like everyone else. Seems odd but it seems to work. Not sure of the long term affects but as with anytning cantilevered and moving, it will sag to some degree over time. Maybe it’s not enough to worry about.
@ghost notice the supports are only on the left side
1698247543972.png

Honestly I don't love it, but it seems to work fine. The weight is constant, and as long as the blade is sharp, there really isn't any change in vertical load. But as an engineer it irks me because the deflection changes depending on the height of the head, so if you get it square down low, it inevitably can't be square up high, and vice versa. But the deflection of a pair of 3x3, 1/4 wall tubes at 4ft with 300lbs on them is probably in the neighborhood of approximately nothing :D

@ghost notice the supports are only on the left side
View attachment 405761

Honestly I don't love it, but it seems to work fine. The weight is constant, and as long as the blade is sharp, there really isn't any change in vertical load. But as an engineer it irks me because the deflection changes depending on the height of the head, so if you get it square down low, it inevitably can't be square up high, and vice versa. But the deflection of a pair of 3x3, 1/4 wall tubes at 4ft with 300lbs on them is probably in the neighborhood of approximately nothing :D
Ok so it was in reference to something other than a woodland. Thanks for that picture because I was not understanding it at all.

Ok so it was in reference to something other than a woodland. Thanks for that picture because I was not understanding it at all.
They build a four post model as well in two sizes. I absolutely love everything about them excepted two things. First is obvious, the price. The second is it is one hundred percent dependent on electric motors to drive the carriage and raise the head.
It's hands down the most affordable robust four post design but the non manual back up irks me like @jeepinmatt and tha cantilever.
Screenshot_20231025-165047.png

Those irk me as well.

All of them except Cooks bother me in the band wheel department. Relying on a rubber belt on the band wheel to allow crown and blade retention instead of manufacturing a high quality metal surface bugs me. I guess the load and blade speed requires either high precision or a rubber band around the drive wheel to keep blades on. Many band saws of various types in metal and wood shops run metal on metal, why can't these guys engineer a wheel that works besides Cooks.

They build a four post model as well in two sizes. I absolutely love everything about them excepted two things. First is obvious, the price. The second is it is one hundred percent dependent on electric motors to drive the carriage and raise the head.
It's hands down the most affordable robust four post design but the non manual back up irks me like @jeepinmatt and tha cantilever.
View attachment 405768

Those irk me as well.

All of them except Cooks bother me in the band wheel department. Relying on a rubber belt on the band wheel to allow crown and blade retention instead of manufacturing a high quality metal surface bugs me. I guess the load and blade speed requires either high precision or a rubber band around the drive wheel to keep blades on. Many band saws of various types in metal and wood shops run metal on metal, why can't these guys engineer a wheel that works besides Cooks.
Cost and because sawmills use lube on the blades to keep the blade clean of sap. Band saws are typically used on dry wood and lube isn’t needed. I’m guessing metal on metal with lube isn’t ideal.

And really, who cares about using the V belt on the wheel. They are cheap and easy to replace when needed.

One thing I hate about my mill is the 7” throat. That means I can’t make an 8” deep cut. If I have a 16” square cant, I can’t cut it into four 8x8 beams. That’s my biggest gripe. But there are DIY mods to make it work, I just hate cutting on a new ish saw.

Back