Found extra parts in my oil pan

So I’d like to learn a little bit from this video. I’d initially think that something isn’t tuned right or maybe the exhaust is under sized for the engine to see it get that cherry red. I mean, it looked like you were giving it the beans a few times, but far from a 3 minute steady beat down. Mostly because I’m building my own buggy and if there’s something I need to put some more focus on.
IDK man, that was not a p*ssy foot attempt.
Our vehicles are built with a lot of compromise in mind.

Taking a beatdown like that with nothing getting hot at all isn't a simple thing to ask.

So I’d like to learn a little bit from this video. I’d initially think that something isn’t tuned right or maybe the exhaust is under sized for the engine to see it get that cherry red. I mean, it looked like you were giving it the beans a few times, but far from a 3 minute steady beat down. Mostly because I’m building my own buggy and if there’s something I need to put some more focus on.
Yeah you are correct, I believe the tuning is lean on the top end. One more trip to the tuners and we should get it right. Definitely got hot to quick. Took a few try’s to get my tune correct with the cam that I’m running.

I know he is putting a much bigger radiator in to help… 🤷🏻‍♂️

IDK man, that was not a p*ssy foot attempt.
Our vehicles are built with a lot of compromise in mind.

Taking a beatdown like that with nothing getting hot at all isn't a simple thing to ask.
Oh, I totally agree. What I’m using for reference is the 7-10 minute long hills you’d pull climbing up to Asheville or Harlan with a 10-12K trailer in tow. If you have the cooling capacity and the free flowing exhaust, I’d expect more than just 3 minutes on Creampuff to make things start to fail.

Oh, I totally agree. What I’m using for reference is the 7-10 minute long hills you’d pull climbing up to Asheville or Harlan with a 10-12K trailer in tow. If you have the cooling capacity and the free flowing exhaust, I’d expect more than just 3 minutes on Creampuff to make things start to fail.

But in fairness those hills aren’t pulled on the rev limiter with zero air flow. He’s turning that thing at 6k+ RPMs and sitting still vs climbing a hill at 55mph+ With constant air+fan over the radiator and plenty of fresh air running thru the engine bay and over the exhaust.

Not saying something couldn’t be improved on, just saying the two scenarios are very different.

Agreed. Leaning out up top and having no forced air through the radiator were likely two major factors.

Leaner is meaner and his exhaust turning in to the surface of the sun definitely shows us that :D

Last edited:
But in fairness those hills aren’t pulled on the rev limiter with zero air flow. He’s turning that thing at 6k+ RPMs and sitting still vs climbing a hill at 55mph+ With constant air+fan over the radiator and plenty of fresh air running thru the engine bay and over the exhaust.

Not saying something couldn’t be improved on, just saying the two scenarios are very different.
Oh, I thoroughly understand the differences in the scenarios. Which is why certain systems need to be designed to accommodate. Even after all those considerations, that 3 minute throttle session shouldn’t bring the entire exhaust from header to tail pipe glowing red.

@Will miller i would agree with just an oil change and see what it’s like. If the oil pressure doesn’t bounce and it’s steady and no noise just rock out. I just did an oil change and mine was very glittery, and seems down on power. But I’m just gonna send it.

Oh, I thoroughly understand the differences in the scenarios. Which is why certain systems need to be designed to accommodate. Even after all those considerations, that 3 minute throttle session shouldn’t bring the entire exhaust from header to tail pipe glowing red.

Yeah I’ve seen headers get to glowing like that, maybe a little past the header but never the entire length of exhaust.

@Will miller i would agree with just an oil change and see what it’s like. If the oil pressure doesn’t bounce and it’s steady and no noise just rock out. I just did an oil change and mine was very glittery, and seems down on power. But I’m just gonna send it.
Yeah I guess we’ll see, might do some more fishing in the oil pan with some magnets and see what comes out

Yeah I guess we’ll see, might do some more fishing in the oil pan with some magnets and see what comes out
While we had @Hoodw!nk motor out this last time we added tube flanges so the oil pan could be dropped in the future if needed.

Much like @77GreenMachine , @Will miller seems to be an overachiever when it comes to tearing stuff up :D I'm here for it! If you're gunna do it, then it might as well be a good story....right?

So….. did some fishing with magnets today and pulled a couple more pieces out. There was a couple that wouldn’t fit thru the drain hole 😳. I’ve got the parts ordered to replace the lifters and trunnions. So I’m going to go ahead and pull the heads and see what I find. Hopefully my cam is still good and I’ll be able to install the lifters and rock out. 🤞🏻🙏🏻
CAD80A41-91D3-4890-858E-3BC7D611D7B8.jpeg

Definitely part of a lifter on the left. I don’t like the drill shaving looking pieces on the right 😳. I’m going to cut the oil filter also and see what I find. I’ll let y’all know what I figure out!

So….. did some fishing with magnets today and pulled a couple more pieces out. There was a couple that wouldn’t fit thru the drain hole 😳. I’ve got the parts ordered to replace the lifters and trunnions. So I’m going to go ahead and pull the heads and see what I find. Hopefully my cam is still good and I’ll be able to install the lifters and rock out. 🤞🏻🙏🏻
View attachment 364881
Definitely part of a lifter on the left. I don’t like the drill shaving looking pieces on the right 😳. I’m going to cut the oil filter also and see what I find. I’ll let y’all know what I figure out!
I’ve got an LS1 with your name on it. 🤣

We’ll…. Glad I took the heads off. Found one lifter with the side blown out and half the roller gone. Also, wiped out the one lobe on the cam that the lifter was riding on. The lifter was a bit$h to get out and scored the bore as it was removed. Have to hone the bore to get it right. Going to replace the cam and lifters and let her ride. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

52D8D18C-0901-4034-A149-585E2ABAFD38.jpeg
9F0232D7-8B38-4FB1-96FD-CE85F7568CD5.jpeg
08A5267A-02A7-46BE-91EA-F71EDA3A0765.jpeg
0F753881-5318-475D-A7A7-E6C060A38237.jpeg
4A604146-32C7-469B-B593-220CCFC03D8B.jpeg
49E0EB70-DD24-4546-A602-DB3106B4FEF0.jpeg
52D8D18C-0901-4034-A149-585E2ABAFD38.jpeg

Damnnnnnn son! Me and @Van-go are both about to get new cams. I know a guy :D I'm having a hard time not pulling my heads (AGAIN) to have them worked and milled to get more compression. Especially with this high dollar work trip I've got coming up... 11.5:1? Yes, please!

Last edited:
Damnnnnnn son! Me and @Van-go are both about to get new cams. I know a guy :D I'm having a hard time not pulling my heads (AGAIN) to have them worked and milled to get more compression. Especially with this high dollar work trip I've got coming up... 11.5:1? Yes, please!
Haha I’m trying to get it back together to go on a ride February 5th at GER. Probably just go with the same cam so I don’t have to re-tune. Hope this motor can make it 1-2 years and I’ll order a blueprint 408 stroker 😎

I'm actually planning to build a 408 once I get back from Korea. You can definitely build one cheaper than buying one from them. Especially since you already have a 6.0. I'm thinking 11 or 11.5:1, decent cam, and something like 500hp/575tq at the crank. I just need the rotating assembly, some machine work, head work, and the cam. I'll use everything else that I've already got more than likely. Really hoping to document the whole process if it works out!

Then I'll continue the longevity test of the late model NV3500 :D

Completely puzzled on this not making noise or create something like a miss?

Guessing very open exhaust and a lopey cam to hide the noise?

Completely puzzled on this not making noise or create something like a miss?

Guessing very open exhaust and a lopey cam to hide the noise?
You got it hahaha also, the motor wasn’t ran much at all after it overheated. Due to it loosing some oil pressure and wanting to change the oil

Last edited:
Back