Found extra parts in my oil pan

You need to post a picture of those trunions you ordered from jegs.
They was absolutely $h!t machining! Hard to tell in the pictures. Ended up ordering the CHE brand and they look sweet. Hopefully they will be the same in person.
64AA0037-F87A-4F21-9C33-EA5DDA849B2B.jpeg

4F0E8662-38B1-44CB-A869-DA1EABB8675A.jpeg
906EDDBA-979D-4DA6-8DF1-2902B49B0BB9.png
5B134492-9047-47CD-8D26-72577E3DD69F.png

It’s a good thing you went ahead and tore it apart and didn’t listen to me.

So do you think it failed from the heat, or just coincidently was a bad part that showed itself after the beat down?

There's a lot of cheap knockoffs being made now. The good ones are at least 180. If my heads come off, I'll throw in some of the Johnson link bar lifters though.

Another thing to look at is the cam thrust plate. If they don't seal well, it'll mess with oil pressure to the lifters.

What kind of oil do you run?

Also, Summit>Jegs.

Can't argue with that logic!

There's a lot of cheap knockoffs being made now. The good ones are at least 180. If my heads come off, I'll throw in some of the Johnson link bar lifters though.

Another thing to look at is the cam thrust plate. If they don't seal well, it'll mess with oil pressure to the lifters.

What kind of oil do you run?

Also, Summit>Jegs.
Machine shop recommended cheap conventional oil. No synthetics. Yes definitely have change that plate every time I’ve pulled the cam!

Interesting...I wonder why they said no synthetics. A lot of the cars had synthetic in them from the factory.

Interesting...I wonder why they said no synthetics. A lot of the cars had synthetic in them from the factory.
Maybe not nearly as tight as tolerances? Older motors from the 70's off the show room wouldn't keep oil pressure with the thin stuff ran these days.

My guess is lower "quality" equals thicker product. Easier to build pressure just because of viscosity. I know Jack about them past what I've read in this forum. Aren't they known as hard to prime?

He gave me the reason and I forgot. He said after about 3000 miles or several heat cycles I could switch if I wanted to. I believe it had something todo with making sure the new rings would seat properly.
For break in, not forever. That makes sense.

That wouldn't have been a problem if you were running a 305 H.O. Woooooo

I suppose I can see him saying it was for break in, but now I'm wondering if he's one of those guys that says to take it easy on the motor to break it in too.

I'm more of a "fire it up, make sure nothing rattles, get a heat cycle or two in it, and make some dyno pulls to seat the rings" kind of guy myself.

Maybe not nearly as tight as tolerances? Older motors from the 70's off the show room wouldn't keep oil pressure with the thin stuff ran these days.

My guess is lower "quality" equals thicker product. Easier to build pressure just because of viscosity. I know Jack about them past what I've read in this forum. Aren't they known as hard to prime?

These things have a pretty good oiling system. They're not any harder to prime than anything else, you just have to pressure prime them because there's no distributor/no way to spin the oil pump. Some guys will also pack the oil pump inlet with vaseline to help prime them and spin them over with the coils unplugged until they get some oil pressure.

Synthetics wont keep them from seating, but everything I read says it takes a little longer. I say warm it up and do some WOT pulls. They'll seat. :D

I'm more of a "fire it up, make sure nothing rattles, get a heat cycle or two in it, and make some dyno pulls to seat the rings" kind of guy myself.

[...]

Synthetics wont keep them from seating, but everything I read says it takes a little longer. I say warm it up and do some WOT pulls. They'll seat. :D

See ? You and I will finally find some common ground when it comes to engines.

They're not any harder to prime than anything else, you just have to pressure prime them because there's no distributor/no way to spin the oil pump. Some guys will also pack the oil pump inlet with vaseline to help prime them and spin them over with the coils unplugged until they get some oil pressure.

Accusump works wonders for this purpose too.

See ? You and I will finally find some common ground when it comes to engines.

Accusump works wonders for this purpose too.
Educate me on this accusump magic you speak of.
1642632499581.gif

Back