Frankenstein Street Queen (a.k.a. SpeedBump)

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by ckruzer, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Goal is a mild off-road rig that can be also be used to kruze the highway to the beach, or enjoy mountain views from a secluded camping spot accessible only by OHV.

Phase 1: 79 F250 D44/D60, 4.88s, 37s, 5.3 sbc, xj Ax15, tj np231. Truetrac + Lunchbox.

Phase 2: Front Dana 60, Atlas, auto + overdrive. Bore d60 for 35 spline. Front 60. F/R e-Lockers. Tube fenders

Phase 3: YJ8 Conversion with bulkhead and separate bed. Fuel cell. Stretch. Slight exo cage.

Phase 4: Hover and Flight

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

As purchased. Massive shackle lift, inverted leafs, and 31s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Got some half doors. Installed Smitty softtop and hardware. Gave hardtop and full doors to my little bro. (always wanted a soft top as a kid. I officially regret that desire. Looking into the frameless softtops and full doors for after i do the roll cage. )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Did the nutter bypass. It ran much better after that.

[​IMG]

5. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Switching the ccv vent line for a breather filter revealed i got no. 6 blowby. small amount, but which led to also discovering a rms leak when tracking the leaks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

While under there replacing the rms, i discovered what my valve tap was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

So replaced timing chain and gears. At this point im pulling my hair out just wanting to start the frikin build already.

Attached Files:

8. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Replaced the water pump while i was in there. Seem to have misplaced my images showing the new timing chain in place. oops. Lots of wear as you can see. Another unknown noise bites the dust. mwahahaha

Attached Files:

9. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

i just want to start the build. ugh. so the jeep offers its assistance by graciouslly blowing the steerbox seals. twice. so i just upgraded to the durango box like i wanted to anyways.

Attached Files:

10. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

since i fixed the water pump, i decided i cant be a slacker. replaced the near see through oem radiator. went ahead and yanked the yellow bellied reservoir out too, and put in a nice aluminum one. and found out the previous owner is a knucklehead, and removed the thermostat to compensate for the failing radiator. well cooling system officially good to go.

Attached Files:

11. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

so when i went to go lower the windshield to begin removing the dash to install a flat dash i discovered the PO had welded the brackets. well they snapped and i barely caught the windshield in time. so had to order new brakets. and of course the windshield torx bolts wont remove, they strip. so i ahve to cut into the bottom of the windshield. fun fun fun.

the dash was very rotted and wasnt coming off peacefully so i just cut off the ends to access the nuts for the brackets. i post poned the flat dash so had to put it all back together. played around with some spare speaker parts and the cutoff dash ends.

made my own shifter knob. and put some rust inhibtor on where the brackets go for now.

Attached Files:

12. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

heres the barney fife speakers.

Attached Files:

13. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

you can only handle a crap suspension so long. Cut into the build budget again and got a cheap lift. If i was smart i would have just got the re 1.5 springs which i could have reused. ugh.

Attached Files:

14. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

more appealing door handles and oh-shit-handles

Attached Files:

15. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Installed the front portion of the lift along with some 1.5 inch booms (yes i know they are on backwards lol). also painted the tires black. im not a chrome guy

Attached Files:

16. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

installed the rear lift with the booms. put on a salt life sticker i brought back from key west.

Attached Files:

17. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

The stock brake lines were so worn. So replaced them with some custom SS blue lines from Mooris. I will be able to reuse these on the build, so win win. I cheaped out and didnt want to bend brake lines for the busted crap in the rear, so used some DOT approved 5k psi flex lines for the rear. sorry for the blurry images.

Attached Files:

18. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

oh. and pulling the old leafs? yeah had to cut every bolt off. replaced with grade 8.

Attached Files:

19. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

installed the aluminum valve cover, because the oem plastic one was leaking non stop.

Attached Files:

20. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

the rear diff was leaking pretty bad so replaced the fluid and painted the diff cover while i was at it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  21. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

yes i know. still havent even begun the build yet.

22. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Lift gave me vibes, the bad kind. So had to put a whole bunch of washers together and drop the tcase an inch. Which led to breaking two of three nutserts on the driverside of the skid plate. Argh. Means now i gotta buy a new frame. right? lol

Attached Files:

23. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Got rid of the camaro seats (regret) and put in some vinyl seats from corbeau moab. finished new brackets

Attached Files:

24. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Well. The seats finally got annoying and loose enough that i ended having to replace them. Will have to find someone in need when finished with the build as i will do harness. But over ordered and got three seat belts. So one is available. Well ended up having to break out the torch. The torx bolts stripped after breaking two sockets. Heat didnt help there either. So cut them out. and installed new ones with some grade 8 hardware and brackets.

Attached Files:

25. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Put a fresh coat of wax on. This latex paint or whatever the PO has on it really sucks in the dirt. A good half day of scubbing and some wax.

Attached Files: