Frankenstein Street Queen (a.k.a. SpeedBump)

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by ckruzer, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

So i got bored one day. The wife wasnt home.... (sshhh). Well i decided to rip out the leaking heater core, which turned into ripping out the upper core box and phleum, which turned into yanking the useless ecu out, which turned into "why dont i go ahead and start the dewire..."

Attached Files:

2. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Gotta figure out what im going to do here with the missing vent stuff. just an open hole. I have a plastic welder, and some spare sheets. Im prob just gunna weld in a blockoff underneath.

Attached Files:

3. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Installed permalok kit and almost forgot. Painted the oil pan, and the oil pan leak has a temp fix.

Attached Files:

4. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Soooooo. I dewired right. And barney fife'd it to run. Temp enjoyments! Well. My brake lights went out. Simple as a bad brake switch. But in my irritation to figure out the easiest thing in the world to diagnose... (i wasnt firing on all cylinders that day) I ripped off the oem plastic corners on the bummper, i completely ripped out the dash, and then almost took a baseball bat to the wiring harness. So i ordered a EZ-Wire kit. Lol. And drew the ign wiring diagram for when the kit arrives.

Attached Files:

5. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Um. So. Rewired it. Installed hei. Attached the diagrams i found most useful. The kit was so easy didnt need the instructions, but was a bit lost at the steering column. Wrapped up the new harness with PET flex hose. Lookin spiffy!

Attached Files:

6. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Got a flat dash designed made up by Dan.

Attached Files:

7. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Painted the grill!

Attached Files:

8. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Flat dash arrived! Got it painted up satin black

Attached Files:

9. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Picked up some vitamins for the build.

Attached Files:

10. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Finally put some gauges in and started wiring it up!

Attached Files:

Shreddinlettuce likes this.
  11. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Installed the dash. Put two of the four speakers in. I didnt plan on defrost as the only real jeep defrost is a rag! I may consider some sort of vent system for when the 5.3 swap happens if i shoot to keep the AC. Prob not.

Attached Files:

12. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Had to drop the gas tank so i could clean up the sending unit and try and get the gas guage to quit bouncing around so much. Made sure my grounds were good. argh. still bounces. alot of wasted work. Looks like i will end up having to get a new sending unit, which is good because i got a the jeep 87 to 12 ohm gauge, and this unit is aftermarket giving me 0 to 90 ohm readings.

I also installed the mirror relocation brackets. I have been doorless for 9 months, after two trips to georgia i got a little worried about a dick cop (ahem henderson county) who might want to give me headache for no mirrors. So i didnt it. I dit it right too, by grinding down the stem keyways so it sits flush with no gaps.

Attached Files:

13. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Replaced rear drive shaft ujoints. Started to get bad vibes at 50 to 60 mph. Helped a little. Who knows where else its coming from. All wheel bearings good, tires balanced and at proper pressure. Im thinking ... screw it. Deal with it

14. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

The exhaust smell got so bad I had to either not drive it or fix it. So what i do? I waste 150 bones of the build budget and put in a new exhaust manifold. Good news, i get to delete even more emissions crap.

Attached Files:

15. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

The wife got fed up with jeep crap all over the porch. So i had to build "my own porch" out back. (the woes of being garage'less).

Attached Files:

surfwagoneer likes this.
  16. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Picked up F250 axles. Man, that dana 44 is one heavy rust bucket!

Attached Files:

17. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Built a stand out of some spare wood and put the d44 on it for disassembly. (this is what led to my stuff getting kicked off the porch lmao).

Attached Files:

18. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

hubs, rotors, adn knuckles and steering stuffff removed. it was hard. about 3 days of work. everything was rusted together so bad. you can see where a bearing has spun. and you can see a bit of rust on those spindles. Good news is the inner spindle bearing is fine. Woot! But gunna have to finese these spindles back into gleaming shape.

Attached Files:

19. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Shafts pulled. Knuckles pulled. Old brackets cut off and started to grind down. Knuckles got new moog joints and high steer arms, and the rest of the 1 ton tre steering kit arrived.

Attached Files:

20. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Finished grinding down. ugh... the least fun part. also cleand up the pumpking and primer'd it with some rust protectant and self etcher.

Attached Files:

21. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Got the d44 finished grinded down and primered the whole thing. Getting ready for assembly and por15

Attached Files:

22. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Cleaned and primed the knuckles and hubs.

Attached Files:

23. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Picked up sm465 as a transmissioin option for phase 2. also picked up a lakewood bellhousing for the 5.3 and camaro mc and zoom clutch. May be able to reuse the clutch.

Attached Files:

24. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Picked up a cherokee ax15. has the long out put requiring the long tj np231. the snout is the odd fellow and will need the bushing type pilot. going to have to drill the tcase mount holes 10 degrees off. the attached template will help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  25. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

picked up a stock YJ frame that is rest free. got it for 300 bones plus the 14b in the corner included. maybe that can be for a phase 3 option . hahaha.

Attached Files: