Frankenstein Street Queen (a.k.a. SpeedBump)

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by ckruzer, Sep 12, 2016.

1. XJsavage

XJsavage Warlock of Zante plantation

Excellent build so far and I'm glad to see another LSX YJ in the crowd!
    Flat dash turned out awesome and I'm on the verge of doing the same to mine.

2. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Awesome! Ill have to find your build thread. Im loving the dash. I just need to hurry up and get the stock axles, frame and engine sold so i can yank the body and prep the underbody

Im finishing up both axles this week hopefully. Then dropping off with Carolina Axle (Jodi) to support local and get gears. Im thinking of tossing in truetrac in the rear now, rather than later. Depends on budget. When those come back i hope to have new frame sanded, novak mounts welded in, por15, and re 1.5 leafs waiting. Then on to LSX shopping! Somewhere along the lines i gotta set time for the body. Really hoping to be done by end of spring

3. drkelly

drkelly Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands

The dash is awesome.

Use the 14 bolt and sell the D60 rear.

ckruzer likes this.
  4. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Got the d60 loaded up in the truck. Got it onto the deck and now ready to clean it up. This one will go so much faster as i hope to keep the perches as they are and use a small wedge, and reusing the stock shock locations. So just needs a dismantle and clean up

Attached Files:

5. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Replied to this yesterday but the server bugs and reset erased it. Thanks, yes i love the dash too! Sadly the dash and guages, switches etc will the most expensive piece in the whole build, lol. \

Im goin to stick with the d60 at this stage because it bolts on and suites my needs. Maybe once i get inducted into the buggy crowd ill go 14b rear a front d60.

6. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

POR15 arrived. Leaking. So amazon was kind to send me a whole another new quart. I covered this up best i could and sealed. Going to paint some tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully some will still be good and Ill be able to make the new quart last that much longer. :)

Attached Files:

7. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Decided to use what por15 i can in case it spoils overnight. The lid is warped and not sealing 100%. Well either way free liquid gold for me! Got some slapped on. Plan on satin black everything when its all dried.

Attached Files:

XJsavage likes this.
  8. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Started the d60 dismantle. ran out of light. boo. didnt have a locknut socket, so used an adustable wrench and a hammer :) will need to get one tho for install

Attached Files:

XJsavage likes this.
  9. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

got the other sides of the knuckles and hubs painted. the underside of the axle as well

Attached Files:

XJsavage likes this.
  10. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

D44 r/p and master bearing kits for d44 and d60 arrived. excited.

Attached Files:

11. XJsavage

XJsavage Warlock of Zante plantation

Hurry. Hurry up. Hurry up quickly. Flip it. Flip it. Quick.

ckruzer likes this.
  12. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Got part of the d60 painted with por15. D60 is fully dismantled. Got spindles cleaned and treated with picklex20. Painted d44 diff cover and treated underside with rust inhibitor primer. Started to remove d44 gears.

Attached Files:

13. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Got the d44 gears pulled. Was pleased to find perfect condition seals. Won't have to replace those. Excellent condition on the inside. No repaint necessary. Got d60 finished cleaned and finished painting with por15. Got d60 hubs and d44 spindles cleaned and painted with por15. Got d60 shafts cleaned and painted. I have the d44 spindles stacked on the d60 hubs to dry. Worked really well.

Now just need to go buy sandpaper for the spindle journals. And some UV protecting farm equipment paint to top off the por15 with a satin black.

Attached Files:

14. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Picked up this display model truetrac for the d60! For 580!!! So excited.

Attached Files:

15. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Painted the d44 diff cover. Did a coat of rust inhibiting primer, por15, 2 coats of red caliper paint, a UV protecting clear matte paint. Guess all I need to do is stencil ARB in it? Lol

Attached Files:

XJsavage likes this.
  16. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Didnt get much done today, but got the d60 spindles sanded clean

Attached Files:

17. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Okay. So found that dside of d44, part of the housing cast the carrier pinion bearing seats against on the bearing journal is holey. my local guru says were good to go, so moving onward! As you can see, the d60 had a nasty surprise for me when i opened her up. yum, this will be fun elbow work. Put to light coats of red on the knuckles, taking it slow so i can get a thick coat. Put another coat on the d44 diff cover because i didnt care for the matte look from the clear coat. I sanded down the d44 spindles with emry cloth. forgot to take a pic before wrapping so oxidation doesnt undo my work. lol. i noticed that i have put too light a coat of por15 on the axles, so prob going to go get some sponge brushes and try that way to get a thicker coat. just rotating the axle on the jack stands took it off. no go for gravel protection! i also shot the d44 spindles with some satin black over the por15. dont care for it, so going to return the paints and get semi-gloss.

Attached Files:

18. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Massive Builds require Massive Tools :) :) :) Now to make room in the YJ engine bay for it....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    drkelly likes this.
  19. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

This rusted junk gave lots of trouble getting axle shaft ujoints pressed out. Well, some less than desirable discoveries but gunna run em. Praying they last five years. Haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Here's some more pics :) pulled the spindle bearings and got the new ujoints pressed in. And picked up a spare drivers side shaft with new ujoint in case mine with the odd ears breaks on me. Also picked up 1310 ujoints for the pinions so that my dshaft ujoints are the weak links.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Picked up the front and rear brake kits!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Problems with the D60 display model truetrac. So ordered direct from Eaton. A couple days to build me a new one, and now this beauty arrived!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

XJsavage likes this.
  23. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

32 upgrades arrived today!

[​IMG]

24. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Got this beast of a tank installed

[​IMG]

25. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Picked up the YJ frame from the farm today. It's been sitting outside for two years and looks as good as the day I bought it. The best rust free frame I've seen in a long time. Very excited to get stuff cutoff and get motor mounts tacked in and this puppy on the axles!

[​IMG]