free roll cage material

@marty79
@johnfuller
@88jeepturd
@??

Post some up close pics of your freakishly strong welds please. I've been doing it wrong for years obviously since I can't figure out how to get good penetration with .035 FC unto .500"+ wall steel.

Please!!!?? :D
i have many times throughout my old build thread and couple pages of this thread i have some

He most likely doesn't understand the test isn't to tear it apart rather than prove its fusion, ductility, and weld continuity.
your right i don't know this, how would I. All I've ever known is people usually out to make an ass out of me and ruin what good might be left of my name if any........but for yall satisfaction and mine since you said: I've never had my welds "properly school/scientifically tested" by this swort of testing so i guess I FOR MYSELF am curious to know how my welds rate according the "books".
John Fuller <XXXXXXXXX address removed> better make it quick since we might be moving within few weeks. (and I will be just fine using the .30 wire. It will make it all the better test). Not to sound like a tard but please give me detailed instructions or diagrams of how I'm supposed to weld your test pieces otherwise I would just make up my own....and NO i don't know proper welding ediquete so don't use fancy welding terms, thank you. AND PLEASE PLEASE don't abuse my address, Thank You!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^ Whether you do the test or not...I just donated the hundred bucks to the MHFC. That was the most 'normal' post you've made, and it's not overflowing with ego. That was good to see. I'll reward that. Good luck on the coupon.

did i miss it already?? what is a coupon that ur talking about
It's the metal you weld on and the test the weld quality.

It's the metal you weld on and the test the weld quality.
thank you...can i ask why they refer to it as a "coupon"...just curious

IMG_20160119_221912830.jpg

This is a section of coupon after its been put through a bend test. I'll give you a condensed version of how it works:
Take two pieces of metal, same thickness, same bevel and same deminsions. Lay flat and space them 1/8" apart to where the bevels are facing each other and the gap is even throughout. Tack weld the ends enough to maintain the plate positions. Tack whole assembly to what position is asked of you. Weld the dead space between the plates until surface of weld bulges out the back side no more than 1/8" and from flush to 1/8" on the front.
What I just described is called open root, what was offered is with a backing strip covering the dead space between the plates which is way easier. Once the plates are welded, cut them into 1.5" strips and grind smoothly, place into bender and bend into complete U shape with example of root fusion and face fusion per position. If no cracks or holes... You win. The latter part will be done by @Mac5005 who happens to be a welding instructor. You just weld and check your mailbox. The pic I posted is TIG 3G open root. Think your 110 flux core can survive?

Why I just explained this to you, I don't know.

Look it up.

View attachment 210845
This is a section of coupon after its been put through a bend test. I'll give you a condensed version of how it works:
Take two pieces of metal, same thickness, same bevel and same deminsions. Lay flat and space them 1/8" apart to where the bevels are facing each other and the gap is even throughout. Tack weld the ends enough to maintain the plate positions. Tack whole assembly to what position is asked of you. Weld the dead space between the plates until surface of weld bulges out the back side no more than 1/8" and from flush to 1/8" on the front.
What I just described is called open root, what was offered is with a backing strip covering the dead space between the plates which is way easier. Once the plates are welded, cut them into 1.5" strips and grind smoothly, place into bender and bend into complete U shape with example of root fusion and face fusion per position. If no cracks or holes... You win. The latter part will be done by @Mac5005 who happens to be a welding instructor. You just weld and check your mailbox. The pic I posted is TIG 3G open root. Think your 110 flux core can survive?

Why I just explained this to you, I don't know.

Look it up.
uhh yeah i was in the "killer weldz" thread and saw all this crazy stuff you guys do and WOW is all i gotta say. I will admit i will never even attempt to compete with any swort of welding you guys do....and not i wouldn't dare say my 110 or me could survive what you are talking about but again never been taught by anyone....just picked up a miller 125 back 7/8yrs ago and started welding on rotors to practice...been learning ever since.

Lay flat and space them 1/8" apart to where the bevels are facing each other and the gap is even throughout. Tack weld the ends enough to maintain the plate positions.
my only issue is I've never done welds like this so does that mean I'm going to pretty much fail? I'm being serious here. I'm used to welding pieces onto a frame/unibody, or a link onto a axle or frame or crossmember at perpendicular angles which is mostly and all i've ever had to do...welding flat pieces together I've never done......so now what

TIG 3G open root. Think your 110 flux core can survive?
holy crap...i just realized: you welded 2pieces together than it gets bent like a U like that and that weld you did bends like that and to pass it can't crack or anything while bending that much???? DAAAAMMMMMM ....yeah i would fail miserably probably at that

my only issue is I've never done welds like this so does that mean I'm going to pretty much fail? I'm being serious here. I'm used to welding pieces onto a frame/unibody, or a link onto a axle or frame or crossmember at perpendicular angles which is mostly and all i've ever had to do...welding flat pieces together I've never done......so now what
Google, you tube. Learn. Listen accept advice for a change

Flat is easier to do. They test your Penetration and consistency and weld solidness not how pretty it is or any of that.
i get that but still, i'm not used to welding flat pieces together like mentioned ever so now i'm nervous as to how to do it....can i just weld the pieces i get in a triangle or something perpendicular to each other like what i'm used to....then i can at least be confident in that

I cringe to think of the time and money I spent on welding school and still going to but I wouldn't trade it for anything. If you find time, then go. The first thing any good instructor will tell you is to stay humble. And we tell you no different here.

Google, you tube. Learn. Listen accept advice for a change
very true...how do you think I'm a "self taught" mechanic and welding and everything else i know...
Only thing i was taught properly, lol, is how to build Log Homes and framing!!!

i get that but still, i'm not used to welding flat pieces together like mentioned ever so now i'm nervous as to how to do it....can i just weld the pieces i get in a triangle or something perpendicular to each other like what i'm used to....then i can at least be confident in that
so this is my problem and worry now...can i do what i said to these "coupons" i get

I cringe to think of the time money I spent on welding school and still going to but I wouldn't trade it for anything. If you find time, then go. The first thing any good instructor will tell you is to stay humble. And we tell you no different here.
I've been told this by many people but school is hard for me...i have bad ADD and ADHD which is why I love to work cause i'm so hyper but cannot focus in school for shit...just being honest so I've just been a worker all my life...at least i have that.

holy crap...i just realized: you welded 2pieces together than it gets bent like a U like that and that weld you did bends like that and to pass it can't crack or anything while bending that much???? DAAAAMMMMMM ....yeah i would fail miserably probably at that

folks- that is what is called a 'moment of clarity'.

OK John, you have a new spool of .035 on your way. Looks like it should be there by Monday.
Now that I've paid up, I'm trusting that you will put it to good use.

upload_2016-2-26_22-3-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-26_22-1-34.png
    upload_2016-2-26_22-1-34.png
    527.5 KB · Views: 189
I've been told this by many people but school is hard for me...i have bad ADD and ADHD which is why I love to work cause i'm so hyper but cannot focus in school for shit...just being honest so I've just been a worker all my life...at least i have that.
The school I go to is a night class Mon-Thurs 5:30-10:30 for anywhere from 280-900hrs total. It's expensive but one of the best decisions I ever made was to go. It's no classroom, just shop environment, kickass classmates, your own personal booths and instructors that truly give a F*ck and will show you the world. Self paced as well. There's bound to be one in your area.

It has been brought up in one of these threads before. Caldwell community college watauga campus has basic welding classes for $187. If welding is something you are truly interested in then paying attention and leaning the material should not be hard.

truth is Ron I've never had to pay taxes because of being low income...I'm not going to show you all my tax records for the last 13yrs but i never had to pay a dime because of being a low income housing/family. If you're not aware of this than go look into it and see for yourself. Low income people actually get back tons of money on tax return for free from the government which I quit doing years ago because you're right, that's not fair to get back thousands and thousands of dollars free for nothing but having kids and low income. I work harder than most people I've ever met but as much as i hate to bring it up....being a fellon makes it VERY VERY HARD to get a legit job that pays legit money so please spare me of your awesomeness that you're blessed with....I have to live with the poor decisions i made in my early years of growing up and have had to do what i can to provide for my family. I gave up trying to get jobs when every job i apply for sends me copy of my criminal report of why I'm a looser and not worthy to hire....if you were in my shoes I'm sure you and most would do the same thing and improvise doing what you can to make a living and I am to say the least very happy and greatful to have what i have.

ok

Its not your fault. You WERE a criminal and now you have changed your ways and no one will hire you.
So you support your family by operating a business without a license like a criminal would but you arent a criminal you changed your ways.

Fat kid got skinny still eats cake. Take cocaine/crack/meth away skinny kid gets fats again.

Back