free roll cage material

I try to help you do better and you mock me.

Go Fuck your self
dude really? wasn't mocking you, i actually gave you credit for giving me almost 5 considering you have always been the harshest with me and even really got heated one time back awhile. Wasn't mocking but weather its you or someone else, that comment would make me laugh and that's not to offend or mock, can't help to laugh though...no hard feelings man!

dude really? wasn't mocking you, i actually gave you credit for giving me almost 5 considering you have always been the harshest with me and even really got heated one time back awhile. Wasn't mocking but weather its you or someone else, that comment would make me laugh and that's not to offend or mock, can't help to laugh though...no hard feelings man!

You will get absolutely no more knowledge or advice from me.

That scale isn't linear. I rarely see a 10. Even our bingo welders are 8s, maybe a 9.
In this range, X-ray testing pass rate is 90%+.

I understand, we never really see a 10 either. I guess I was making an attempt to help his confidence and build his willingness to learn and listen

See where that got me..

I know you know, but was mostly for John so he knows that while he may be a 4.5/10, the amount of time it takes to get to be a 4.5 is only a fraction of what it takes to get to be an 8, likely only 10% there.

I'd say most pro welders I see are a 6, maybe a 7. They can read a WPS and execute reasonably with a pass rate on visual around 90% and 60% on NDT. To get above a 7 takes years of doing it everyday correctly and sometimes wrong and taking the wrong (failed visual or NDT) and learning why so it doesn't happen again. Pass rate is 90% or greater.

I know Jeff knows but John, there is a ton more to learn and I'd be stretching it a bit to say you've barely scratched the surface.

but John, there is a ton more to learn and I'd be stretching it a bit to say you've barely scratched the surface
I realize this and have admitted that i know nothing about welding facts/science/math/or proper terms and such. I took that 4.5 with much gratitude cause i honestly didn't expect anything above a 2 from anyone on here so that was huge....i rate myself probably 5-5.5 personally for general welding of what i trust myself to do (remember I don't weld 3/8" stuff, I don't do flat butt joint welds and am a very very fresh beginner with this new "double Passes").
I wasn't mocking or making fun about Jeffs comments but it's a fact: anyone who still says my jeep will fall apart i can't take seriously....especially after knowing for 7 years I've been doing single pass welds without ever having a failure, now that I know this double pass, that alone has boosted my confidence just knowing now to grind a little and double it up which will even more make my stuff stronger.
I will get better and better over time with practice and more practice as I do daily and maybe another 5 years might be half level better but it's not a passion or anything to get crazy good at like some of the pictures on here or certified. I will take advise when given about certain technique or try my best to understand terms and stuff that is brought up but i just can't help to laugh that at 4.5/5ish level welder....most better being 6/7s....that my jeep will fall apart or I'm endangering people's lives still yet. if you can't accept that, well you are free to think and believe whatever you want and stay away from my abomination on the trail,lol.

I did a little welding today. 1/4 to 1/4 brackets for an x-y table. Didn't get any pics though. Looked pretty darn good considering I haven't touched the welder since all my eye stuff started last year...about 11 months ago. @rockcity is very correct above....it takes a lot of hood time to become really good, and a lot more to remain proficient.

Once you become a decent welder and know what a proper weld should look like, you look at everything, and at how good or bad it is welded. There are a lot of bad welds out there. Utility trailers at Lowe's come to mind. And rides at the state fair.

That said I'd give you about 3.5...that vertical is pretty messed up. But...there are a lot of 2's out there with welding jobs...like the guy welding trailers for Lowes.

there are a lot of 2's out there with welding jobs...like the guy welding trailers for Lowes.
holy crap are you serious....well dang.
that vertical is pretty messed up.
that's not vertical...its 2 3/8" plate laying flat on table trying to butt weld them together which I've never done so that was a first ever, not surprising it sucked lol.
I'm ok at vertical welds...having to roll around on the ground welding makes vertical welds a little harder but I've gotten ok at them.

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160305_65360b6b4d7e794541fb3a984e4a2e12.jpg

If that is caulk, then 1.
If it is JB weld, then 1.
If it is spray foam, 1.
Welding? -10.

Oh.. BTW, martyjohn...the 3.5 I scored you is on appearance. You don't know any more until you do some testing.

Last year, I had my 11 year old nephew spend the day, and I taught him some welding. After running some stringer beads on some plate, he thought he was getting pretty good. I beveled some 1/4 stock, and had him weld it together. Looked decent...until we put it in the vise, and whacked it with a hammer. First one broke right apart. Learning occurred.

My opinion on the scale of 1 - 10 is as follows.

1 is zero experience, withing a few hours of dedicated practice with someone knowledgeable can be a 4 or 5.

To me, a 5 is 10x better than a 4.

Then as each number increases it is 10x harder to achieve. So a 5 to 7 would be 100x more difficult to achieve.

Most students that leave school with 9-12 qualifications are welding on a 5-6 level.

The professional welders I know and respect who give me advice and tips regularly, that I call for help, in my opinions are 7 or 8s.

I consider myself a 5.

I have failed more tests than I have passed, but I rarely fail visually. It took me nearly 15 tests to pass Horizontal mig.

This taught me the most about short circuit mig and it's problems.

I have 5 mig qualifications, 10 if you count the redundant ones only with different machine settings.

I have 5 tig qualifications, again not counting the different ones with wire size changes.

I have one stick qualifications.

I have failed many tests finding out what's wrong, why, and how to fix it.

My point to all this, I consider myself a 5. I'd put JF at a 2.

The best welder I have ever first hand personally seen, I consider an 8. He competed on the national level. These are a few of his welds. His welds are practically flawless, yet he can show me errors in each one. He is humble, and willing to learn more and more. We both push each other to be better and continually share info and criticism.

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160305_2e8bcbf81ba986ff69cde1e577d698e8.jpg

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160305_4a20b4a3435b12b1fd5cb047fb975b5e.jpg

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160305_71a1ea146dc90cd96e41582279fe6404.jpg

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160305_4f3d7826af55f081f49d6b975bf6a5c2.jpg

My opinion on the scale of 1 - 10 is as follows.

1 is zero experience, withing a few hours of dedicated practice with someone knowledgeable can be a 4 or 5.

To me, a 5 is 10x better than a 4.

Then as each number increases it is 10x harder to achieve. So a 5 to 7 would be 100x more difficult to achieve.

Most students that leave school with 9-12 qualifications are welding on a 5-6 level.

The professional welders I know and respect who give me advice and tips regularly, that I call for help, in my opinions are 7 or 8s.

I consider myself a 5.

I have failed more tests than I have passed, but I rarely fail visually. It took me nearly 15 tests to pass Horizontal mig.

This taught me the most about short circuit mig and it's problems.

I have 5 mig qualifications, 10 if you count the redundant ones only with different machine settings.

I have 5 tig qualifications, again not counting the different ones with wire size changes.

I have one stick qualifications.

I have failed many tests finding out what's wrong, why, and how to fix it.

The best welder I have ever first hand personally seen, I consider an 8. He competed on the national level. These are a few of his welds. His welds are practically flawless, yet he can show me errors in each one. He is humble, and willing to learn more and more. We both push each other to be better and continually share info and criticism.

View attachment 211799

View attachment 211800

View attachment 211801

View attachment 211802

Damn. Good looking welds.

well dang..fair enough. if your a 5 then I'll proudly take a 2.5!!!

Wow now I have two images that give me goose bumps. Those welds and the video of Jody spotting me up Mason Jar

well dang..fair enough. if your a 5 then I'll proudly take a 2.5!!!

He claims a 5 and is experienced and certified with ALL weld processes (mig, TIG, stick). There is a long way to go to get to a 3.

I used to be a 6, maybe a 7. But that was TIG and stick as I never really mig welded out in the field. Mig is rarely used anywhere besides the shop. I'm better now at mig than I was in the past but not as good at TIG or stick as I used to be. I just don't do it everyday anymore. And, I'm learning how lasik affected my eyes and how I see when welding. It's like learning all over again. I'd rate myself at about a 4 now across all 3 processes.

^^^remember I only rate myself on level 3ish for Flux Core welding with my 110v welder for what I do. I wouldn't have business rating myself on any other categories since I haven't welded with any other. Did Mig one time, it was ok. Did Stick one time, sucked. I stuck with flux as it was much easier and since I work outside a lot, kinda had to lol.

It's funny to see people rate themselves. I'm a solid 2 in welding I believe. That being said I only feel like a 6 in the hardwood business. I always see room for improvement. I've never met a 7 in my field though!

^^^remember I only rate myself on level 3ish for Flux Core welding with my 110v welder for what I do. I wouldn't have business rating myself on any other categories since I haven't welded with any other. Did Mig one time, it was ok. Did Stick one time, sucked. I stuck with flux as it was much easier and since I work outside a lot, kinda had to lol.
That's why field welders use a stick and not MIG.

Keep learning grasshopper.

That's why field welders use a stick and not MIG.
uhm yeah...using stick welder to work on cars/jeeps...good luck with that

uhm yeah...using stick welder to work on cars/jeeps...good luck with that
I did it for years on my willys. Just because you can't doesn't mean others that know how to weld can't..

Back