free roll cage material

Where is the bunny with a pancake when you need it?...

pancakebunny.jpg

Could only find one with a waffle.

First of all, I wasn't exactly talking to you, John. I try not to because you are an argumentative fool and I don't have time to get into a pissing match with you. I don't understand how you get anything done with all the time you spend online defending yourself. But to your point, I have seen more hack-job welds fail than I care to count. I remember a Comanche that somebody did a spring over on. Their booty-fabbed spring perches BOTH ripped their welds off the axle and the axle rotated going up Dickey Bell, rendering the vehicle immobile. I bet they had fun tugging that turd off the trail. There was a Tacoma that some idiot had finished their lift on the night before. They didn't have the proper u-bolts for the blocks they had put under the springs, so they extended the factory u-bolts with some rebar. Guess what? They broke and the axle came out from under the truck! Now imagine what would have happened if that had popped going down the highway at 75? Countless people have died because of bad welds, that's why good welders get paid good money. There's a lot riding on their work. Hell, I've been welding on a semi-pro level for about a decade now, and I still worry a little about every weld I put on a vehicle. Not that I doubt my skills, but if my weld is the one that breaks and causes an accident, it's MY ass that's responsible for the damage or loss of life. That's a lot to think about. Maybe you should think about it, too.

The fact is, just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should! Maybe you've just been getting lucky all these years. Maybe you'll continue to get lucky. In my life, I've observed that God smiles on the ignorant. AKA "Dumb Luck." However, with all this shit that you talk about how good you are, I'm looking forward to the day that Karma catches up with you and you do have a major failure. The Hell that is going to rain down on you from every direction is going to be EPIC! You've ignored a lot of good advice and offers for help. If you're stuck on the trail and can't drag your busted ass off, I've a feeling that you're going to be there a while until you figure out how to move it by yourself, because you've burned about every bridge you may have ever had. You've shit your own bed, enjoy laying in it.

I'm glad you got a good laugh from my comment. I guess it's only fair, as you've provided THOUSANDS of laughs for the other members of this board. Don't bother responding to me, because I'm done with you. I've got a family and a business of my own, and have no time to suffer fools.

For years, I've wondered if welders should be considered a controlled item for exactly this reason. I wonder if one should have to pass a test to buy one.
I think they should be that you have to be certified to sell anything you welded. Except maybe artwork. I'm OK w/ people welding their own shit and taking the risk. It's when other people become involved that the issue comes up.

well from what Mr. Catfishblues said, according to him and almost everyone on here...Until I become a licensed welder I should stop jeeping, stop welding, stop working and making money, forget everything I've learned in the past decade of my automotive experience and past experience of welding and not continue in any swort of this kind of work until I become properly taught and certified....and call every customer for the last 10years and tell them they should fear for their lives....and because of my criminal history, should be a bagboy or garbage man. I think this about sums up what everyone would have me do and probably the only way to "get any likes" from anyone lol. very interesting

I think they should be that you have to be certified to sell anything you welded. Except maybe artwork. I'm OK w/ people welding their own shit and taking the risk. It's when other people become involved that the issue comes up.
as i stated...I am willing to do the test offered by someone. One person bought me roll of wire for it and I don't have an issue with doing it. I'm actually VERY EXITED to do this test to see how good...ok...bad...or terrible my welds are. I really am for my own knowledge only, not to please anyone but suppose that would be a plus to maybe clear part of my name a little if ever possible LOL

But to your point, I have seen more hack-job welds fail than I care to count.
not arguing cause you're right but I've seen 1 out of 3 buggies too in videos where they're axles rip right off too cause of crazy crap they do so ????to me your statement doesn't say much on that aspect. Yeah some just don't belong doing this on their own but I have never felt as one of those guys. I honestly would've totally changed my welding habbits and building habbits had I ever had failure on one of my toys but I don't call it "Luck" at all...I just never thought it was that hard to follow puddle of melting metal and connect two pieces together.
First couple months my welds were pretty rough but when I found out there was a "auto darkening helmet".....WOW, the welding world became like "holy cow, what a difference" ...I though it was pretty easy from then on.

just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should!
well if I followed this...I would've paid a contractor thousands and thousands to build my garage since I'm not certified builder but decided since "I can", "I should" and Passed Inspection first round with flying colors...even on "my own designed" trusses. so at the end of the day, my family saved stupid amount of money because I'm handy with tools and I have the "I can" attitude so I get things done.

And I've welded leaf spring pads on welded both sides, they looked good but I didn't have Penetration and the literally popped off the axle only thing holding them on was the u bolts. Just cause it looks good doesnt mean it has the Penetration it needs I found out the hard way

ok so I'll put up some of my "welds" from my axle swap i just recently did...cleaned up a few today so lets hear it. I realize looks don't say everything but lets see what they do say: and these are just me normal welding NOT focusing on looks or making them appear the best, just plain old welding without thinking about it...i have since dogged the hell out of it full throttle, bounced like crazy couple times off my hill just to see (which is way more abuse than it will see at the park)
weld 1.jpg
weld 2.jpg
weld on arms.jpg
weld on arms too.jpg
weld on bracket.jpg
weld on housing.jpg
weld on upper arm mount.jpg

oh and all single pass

oh and all single pass
Thanks captain obvious...

You really should take some classes or at least apprentice with an accomplished welder.

Here is a positive post for ya marty...
You weld better than me.

And as Jeff just said..take some classes or hook up with someone as an apprentice. Watch, listen, listen, listen, watch some more, listen some more..

It can only help you.

Swallow some pride, it's not fattening.

Listen and respect what some are saying..let the rest roll off your back. (Unless you wanna argue, then have at it)

Keep yer head up. Your family loves you...that's what matters. ( so does @Jeff B but that matters not)

And as Jeff just said..take some classes or hook up with someone as an apprentice. Watch, listen, listen, listen, watch some more, listen some more..
cool cool...how about some critique on these welds though...whats bad...what's good..what needs improvement...what looks "failing potential" and what doesn't..
I'm actually being serious here as it would at least point me in some direction maybe...if any of that stuff can be seen from just a picture

You really should take some classes or at least apprentice with an accomplished welder
it would benefit me more if I knew what I'm supposed to learn more of by being told some info about my welds...I can't go to my friend to teach me anything unless i have some swort of direction for him to point me in

cool cool...how about some critique on these welds though...whats bad...what's good..what needs improvement...what looks "failing potential" and what doesn't..
I'm actually being serious here as it would at least point me in some direction maybe...if any of that stuff can be seen from just a picture

Your asking the wrong person..part of the listen listen listen...I do not know how to weld. I can glue wood together, but I've never welded anything at all.

it would benefit me more if I knew what I'm supposed to learn more of by being told some info about my welds...I can't go to my friend to teach me anything unless i have some swort of direction for him to point me in

If you take a class..or just learn from an accomplished buddy, do everyone a favor.
Unlearn everything you think you know about welding. Strip your brain ..act as if you don't think you know what yer doing. Listen to the teacher...don't tell the teacher how your welds are good enough.He is not there to listen to your BS. Just listen and learn.
2 ears one mouth...listen twice as much as you talk. Look Listen Learn.

Sometimes(well, most times actually)Learning HOW TO learn is one of the the best accomplishment in life.

Back