Full hydro steering lock up problems....help

16672286787575839928545270267179.jpg
16672287048996373404130348247486.jpg

It'll have to be tonight when I try swapping lines, got work now lol

No got rid of that long ago.
So you have no pressure relief in the system anywhere?
Yeah, WTF

How about some more pictures of how the ram and tie rod are mounted? And you understand that the 1.125" rod side of your cylinder is going to be putting out roughly 65% of what the piston side is putting out right? This is a large reason for getting rid of the single ended ram... Your pump probably just doesn't have the pressure needed to turn a welded 16.5" wide tire on a heavy rig while sitting still, are you running the factory relief pressure on the pump?

Dual ended has 2 shafts so it's the less effective force on both ends. It should be plenty fine.

So you have no pressure relief in the system anywhere?
Huh? It has whatever the factory pump has for a 91 G30 van, that's it. All I did was drill out piston like most do

Today got busy to mess with it, ill get to those tests in the am hopefully

Did you move your axle after adding the full hydro? Do you still have the steering box? If no and yes then just put it back in and go play.. I’ve had many struggles with full hydro steering and I’ve come to the conclusion that….I’d only do full hydro if that was my only option and I was willing to buy a bling balanced system.

I know many people have made systems work with cheap parts but all the headaches you’re having right now aren't worth the aggravation to me anymore.

Did you move your axle after adding the full hydro? Do you still have the steering box? If no and yes then just put it back in and go play.. I’ve had many struggles with full hydro steering and I’ve come to the conclusion that….I’d only do full hydro if that was my only option and I was willing to buy a bling balanced system.

I know many people have made systems work with cheap parts but all the headaches you’re having right now aren't worth the aggravation to me anymore.

That orbital and ram were designed to work with far more flow and pressure
Use that new plasma table to design brackets for a double hung fluid pump from a tractor

Last edited:
That orbital and ram were designed to work with far more flow and pressure
Use that new plasma table to design brackets for a double hung fluid pump from a tractor
Definitely after all this could have just installed an actual industrial hydraulic pump for cheap or stuck with assist, especially using a single ended ram...
That being said, you've drilled the flow orifice to the max and havent touched the relief spring, it's probably only putting out 8-900 psi.

If you come up with some brackets for industrial pumps for various motors.....I'm sure you could make some good money. SBC, SBF, LS, Toyota, ect.

The steering on the samurai drove me nuts. Hydraulic steering in an automotive application is tricky because the components weren't designed be there. It's not like you can take it to a heavy equipment shop or automotive shop and expect them to fit it. They will break it down to simple terms
Tank/lines
Pump
Ram
linkage
steering knuckles
If all these items were designed to work together then this would be easy. BUT
PS pump can be ruined very quickly if they get hot/cavitate fluid.
Any Equipment mechanic is going to tell you that the pump is insufficient (because it is) and they wouldn't mess with it.
stock GM P pump is maybe 1200 psi at 2-3 gpm?
random industrial pump 2-300psi 23GPM at 900rpm

I bought a cheap (forklift) orbital and it was very high displacment. I talked with fluid dynamics and they told me that my pump (TC) couldn't supply enough volume to make the system work correctly. There are a few spots in my back yard where grass will never grow again due to bleeding the system and swapping parts.
Currently I have a stock XJ pump, PSC resi with the little pressure doodad, log style cooler, and Surplus center 2.5 double ended ram. It seems to work well. I'm sure it would work better with an industrial pump.

End of rant. I hate full hydro.

I've always had good results with full hydro.

But I've never used random parts like that.

Just like I've never put an engine together with random pistons and rods I found for cheap somewhere.

There's some basic engineering you have to follow when putting a system together and very often the cause of the issue is that the parts were not matched together or just plain not right for the intended use.

Just like I've never put an engine together with random pistons and rods I found for cheap somewhere.

There's some basic engineering you have to follow when putting a system together and very often the cause of the issue is that the parts were not matched together or just plain not right for the intended use.

Decided not to comment because it's Jeff, but definitely thought to myself funny how buying the correct steering valve and ram from the beginning would have saved weeks worth of headaches. Other guys charge a premium for having spent the months and years figuring it out.

My problems came from not matching the correct parts. I'm s
Decided not to comment because it's Jeff, but definitely thought to myself funny how buying the correct steering valve and ram from the beginning would have saved weeks worth of headaches. Other guys charge a premium for having spent the months and years figuring it out.

I'll edit my previous statement. I don't hate full hydro. I hate myself for cobbling some shit together and expecting it to work right. That same process is being tried in this thread and I'm currently sitting on a college campus, and I'm triggered by thoughts of hydraulic steering

Definitely after all this could have just installed an actual industrial hydraulic pump for cheap or stuck with assist, especially using a single ended ram...
That being said, you've drilled the flow orifice to the max and havent touched the relief spring, it's probably only putting out 8-900 psi.
On the race jeep we used 2 ps pumps to run my DE ram setup. Worked well. Double fed off big resi and tied back in both pumps to the oribital. We used volume and psc pumps and even at idle I had steering in the rocks.....

On the race jeep we used 2 ps pumps to run my DE ram setup. Worked well. Double fed off big resi and tied back in both pumps to the oribital. We used volume and psc pumps and even at idle I had steering in the rocks.....

A feat that not many people have been able to do successfully. I love it !

Back