Full hydro steering lock up problems....help

There's the whole "it's gotta be binding somewhere" thought comes to mind [...] It done this with hydro assist/steering box which is why I went full hydro thinking/hoping it would fix the issue but nope, still chasing it.

Then there's that...

On top of poorly modded pumps and likely mismatched parts, these ain't helping at all.
The first one is a major restriction.
Screenshot_20221101-153526.png
Screenshot_20221101-153552.png

Is that a factory power steering pressure line going from the pump to the orbital?

I assumed that where he is as "testing"?
God I hope so
That pump was for hydro boost brakes. I think he might have T’d in the extra return port for to another point in the system

How much pressure are you seeing before it's relieving back to tank? Have you tried swimming the relief?

Does the steering wheel try to turn on it's own?

Auto correct sucks, Shimming the relief

Last edited:
How much pressure are you seeing before it's relieving back to tank? Have you tried swimming the relief?

I don’t think he has put a gauge on it.

(Sorry guys, not being rude but i thought I was gonna have some time to mess with it and well, a bunch more jobs showed up today, CNC table showed up today so yeah I'm back to being swamped again lol. Gonna be a minute before I get back to it probably. Not complaining, I'm blessed with all this work even though it's at times a little overwhelming to juggle so many jobs and projects at the same time.
I will get to some of these tests you guys have recommended soon, thank you.

I assumed that where he is as "testing"?
God I hope so
yes testing purposes.

no I'm going to try and find a gauge or i guess buy one (I'm sure I'll have to use in the future at some point on mine or customers rig possibly).
yes the steering wheel does turn on it's own IF I give input to the steering wheel a certain amount and let go, tires will keep going at times???? I thought it was the Orbital but that was just replaced, (they found nothing wrong with it but replaced it anyways).

Have you tried swimming the relief?
what does that mean..
On top of poorly modded pumps and likely mismatched parts, these ain't helping at all.
The first one is a major restriction.
View attachment 384208View attachment 384209
can you shed light on what's the restriction? the fitting I'm using? I use those DYI power steering kits for the LS swaps and they work great so I thought they would work on Full Hydro but apparently they are not advised??

You're hard to work with.
I am and I apologize for that sincerely!! I don't comprehend very well reading, English Second language, never got that part of the language and in the last 31yrs I've been here, it hasn't gotten better lol, but I manage, just takes much longer for me to understand stuff and sometimes I don't get it at all haha, the struggle is real but I manage. Sorry

(Sorry guys, not being rude but i thought I was gonna have some time to mess with it and well, a bunch more jobs showed up today, CNC table showed up today so yeah I'm back to being swamped again lol. Gonna be a minute before I get back to it probably. Not complaining, I'm blessed with all this work even though it's at times a little overwhelming to juggle so many jobs and projects at the same time.
I will get to some of these tests you guys have recommended soon, thank you.

yes testing purposes.

no I'm going to try and find a gauge or i guess buy one (I'm sure I'll have to use in the future at some point on mine or customers rig possibly).
yes the steering wheel does turn on it's own IF I give input to the steering wheel a certain amount and let go, tires will keep going at times???? I thought it was the Orbital but that was just replaced, (they found nothing wrong with it but replaced it anyways).
I have a t and gauge

That being said, you've drilled the flow orifice to the max and havent touched the relief spring, it's probably only putting out 8-900 psi.
I'm assuming your referring to the spring behind the piston? that the "interweb" says to stretch it out to like 2.5-3" and that's what raises the pressure also? I didn't do that cause I was afraid to mess it up lol (I've always drilled out the pistons on the Jeep pumps but never messed with "stretching the spring")

what does that mean..

can you shed light on what's the restriction? the fitting I'm using? I use those DYI power steering kits for the LS swaps and they work great so I thought they would work on Full Hydro but apparently they are not advised??
I was asking about shimming the relief, to build more pressure before relieving.

the only time I have seen the oribital turn on it's own is when it's hosed incorrectly. Pressure line on the wrong port.

I was asking about shimming the relief, to build more pressure before relieving.
That little piston inside the "piston" of the pump? I read something about that but wasn't really sure I understood fully what to fo so I didn't

the only time I have seen the oribital turn on it's own is when it's hosed incorrectly. Pressure line on the wrong port.
I just double checked lol, its correct (you had me second guessing myself)

That little piston inside the "piston" of the pump? I read something about that but wasn't really sure I understood fully what to fo so I didn't
Yes, you can stretch the spring or put some hard washers behind it to partially compress it. This raises the amount of psi the pump needs to crack it over relief and send oil back to tank. You need a guage it it. 1500-1700 psi worked well for me in the past.

Here you go, the west tx offroad pump mod that doesn't seem to exist online anymore. Basically the p pump mod bible...
Word doc won't open on my computer, but here's the web version:

Word doc won't open on my computer, but here's the web version:

What's funny is the word "redneck " is now censored on pirate. Took me a minute to figure out why the asterisks everywhere, you aren't able to search by it either

That pump was for hydro boost brakes. I think he might have T’d in the extra return port for to another point in the system
Absolutely bad idea. Delta P from external resi to internal resi needs to be positive otherwise you're balancing the pressures and slowing the inlet flow something major. Not good.

I am and I apologize for that sincerely!! I don't comprehend very well reading, English Second language, never got that part of the language and in the last 31yrs I've been here, it hasn't gotten better lol, but I manage, just takes much longer for me to understand stuff and sometimes I don't get it at all haha, the struggle is real but I manage. Sorry
I'm ESL too. Welcome to the club.

And before you change anything with your install, you need to fix this :
With driver side hub unlocked, turns just fine with weight on the ground, lock in the axle and it stops turning left a little past straight.

Forget full hydro and shit, this is problem number 1

What's funny is the word "redneck " is now censored on pirate. Took me a minute to figure out why the asterisks everywhere, you aren't able to search by it either

VerticalScope can suck it.

Back