Getting the samurai to Harlan

I thought I saw you there in the campground one time I was passing through.
We didn’t camp at the ranch but we parked the tow rig behind the arena on Friday and Saturday.

I’ve been having some problems keeping the engine cool when going slow in the rocks.

IMG_0066.jpeg

My old fan was one that was laying in the back of the geo engine donor I bought. No clue what it came from and it didn’t cover the whole radiator. It was too thick to run any sort of shroud. I fabbed a new shroud with some sheets of abs plastic. And got a thin 14in fan.
IMG_0067.jpeg

It’s clears the water pump by just enough to not be worried about it. I used some jumper wires to turn it on and it holds a sheet of paper flat against the grille with the fan running, so it has good air flow now.
IMG_0068.jpeg

I’m trying to improve my wiring skills, So it got wired in with a Dtp connector and the chassis side got some cloth loom.

It’s been a while since I worked on this because I’ve been working on a large house project. I’m done with that for now so I can get to my gears and rear axle swap.

IMG_0141.jpeg

I cleaned the old brackets off the Dana 44 and welded on new spring perches and welded the axle tubes to the center section.
IMG_0148.jpeg

I’m working on getting the 5.13s installed. Revolution gear is having to send me ring gear bolts because the ones in the install kit were the wrong size.
IMG_0140.jpeg

Picked up one of those little 120v stick welders to take on trips. It runs 1/8 7018 ok and was only $68
IMG_0133.jpeg

I got a camper shell for the tow rig since it got so cold in the tent last year.

We have an October trip to Karios planned so I’m trying to get everything done and tested before that.

IMG_0152.jpeg

Dropped the Dana 30 out on the lift. I’m honestly surprised the welds holding the tie rod from moving never broke.
IMG_0156.jpeg

Once the Dana 44 was bolted to the leaf springs I could see that the traction bar mount was going to be up on the casting of the center section. I reused the traction bar mount from the old rear axle.
IMG_0157.jpeg

Made custom brake lines for the new axle. I used the hoses from the old setup. The they are tj front hoses at the caliper. The hose that drops to the axle is a rear hose for a lifted tj.
IMG_0154.jpeg

The rear driveshaft was too long so I had to shorten it up.

IMG_0162.jpeg

I got the front axle geared and started removing the fender flares. They were rubbing with the 31s. So no way they would clear the new tires.
IMG_0171.jpeg

Flexed out on the engine hoist and found the rear was pretty close to clearing. Just some slight sheet metal trimming and it was good.
IMG_0172.jpeg

A before shot of the front fenders before trimming for the new tires.
IMG_0174.jpeg

And after. It stills rubs a little in the front but I don’t want to rework the front bumper more.

I saw a rear steer truck coming through an intersection in front of me yesterday and immediately thought about this thread. They're just really cool trucks for some reason!

Keep up the good work :D

IMG_0176.jpeg

Got all the roxzillas mounted, wiring secured under the hood. And ready for a shakedown at uwharrie

Back