Gone Postal : Mail Jeep Build

95yjjeep

Okay guys. I just finished up my YJ build and now I'm bored with nothing to do. So what I found was an old Postal Jeep - '82 DJ-5 Mail Jeep in okay condition. Runs but tranny is bad. So here is my plan. I photoshoped what I want the jeep to look like. My inspiration is the build that Chris at Marsfab did called "Mild CJ5 Build". If you haven't seen it you should check it out! http://nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94675

My mockup...I am a graphic designer so I had to see what it would look like. I like drawing pretty pictures. i hijacked marsfab's cj5 with their cool jeep wall art.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_mail_jeep_photoshop1.jpg

My goal: #1 to build a fun weekend wheeler that seats 2 and can be beaten up with little worry. #2
build it CHEAP! but still dependable.

Plan is to use a Jeep Wrangler 6cylinder, 5spd and NP231 transfer case with all the computer and wiring from whatever model I find (anyone got one they wana sell cheap?)
::Update:: 9/10/2012: 2001 LS series 5.3L Cast Iron Chevy V8, SM465 granny 4spd & Jeep NP231 t-case with heavy duty chain, SYE and 2wd Tera low kit

axles & gearing:
the owner is throwing in a full width ford 9" rear so that is what the rear will consist of. i'll add a spool or cheap locker and run 5.38s probably
front axle: i picked up a hp44 full width front and will add a cheap locker and 5.38s.
::Update:: 10/22/2013: Ford 9" rear with yukon grizzly locker and 4.56 gears, HP Ford Dana 44 with 4.56s & Auburn Pro LSD Diff Front.

suspension:
front: SOA with yj springs, shackle reversal, marsfab styled shackle reversal, stretched frame to get the extra wheelbase and space to mount the steering box.
rear: SOA using XJ rear springs with shackles attached to custom built rear bumper
::Update:: 10/22/2013: Rear suspension reworked. Outboarded rear spring hangers, MarsFab Custom Boomerang Shackles, YJ Leaf springs, traction bar.

steering:
keep it right hand drive. i plan to find a right hand wrangler steering box. anyone got one?
flattop knuckle on left hand knuckle with high steer arm, mount draglink over springs and tie rod under the springs (crossover style steering). i'll use heims or chevy tie rod ends (i have both in the garage).
::Update:: 9/10/2012: Fab'd a 2wd Chevrolet Saginaw 4-bolt steering box custom mounted on outside front right side framerail to run right hand drive power steering. Custom built double sheer pitman arm.

wheels and tires:
37"-39.5" tires. either iroks, pitbull rockers or maxxis creepy crawlers...whatever i can find the best price on. wheels will be cheap steelies.
::Update:: 9/10/2012: 36x13.50x15 Super Swamper Bias Iroks w/ 15x9 Cheap steelie wheels.

interior: i'll pick up some corbeau suspension seats (i like the low back baja ss seats) and i'll build a rollcage for the interior.

right now i'll be gathering parts and scraping and cleaning everything i can so i can get off to a good start.

the cool thing about the mail jeeps is they have a partially boxed frame. they have an 81.5" wheelbase which is the same as early CJ5s and I've just never seem one built so I figured I'd give it a shot.

let me know what you think. good? bad? terrible idea?

Last edited:
Sounds pretty cool to me...

What are your plans for the sliding door? Could cause some issues with the tires...

Or go no doors and rock it out!

Holy Crap! I thought somebody was copying my shop. Thats pretty cool man.

haha. nah. i just used the cj5 you built for my photoshop'd picture.

Sounds pretty cool to me...

What are your plans for the sliding door? Could cause some issues with the tires...

Or go no doors and rock it out!

my plan is to loose the doors and sliders and make some tube doors for it. i'm sure those sliding doors would drive you nuts on the trail.

I drove one of those for years :driver: Didn't look as cool as the one you have planned though, looks real good!

thanks! it's a large task to get it running and driveable. i plan to start working on the 9" this weekend and i'll begin stripping all the old mail trays, etc out this weekend. i may reuse one of the mail trays as a cargo rack. we'll see what i can come up with.

Color me jealous. I have wanted a postal jeep for years. Although I want to use mine as an equipment truck for my scrap company. It would be perfect to carry a generator, torches and other stuff that needs to be transported.

THe dental lab I used to work for bought several for delivery vehicles and I used to drive one to deliver crowns and stuff to dentists. They have DINKY gas tanks. I remember having to fill it every day and my route was Metro Detroit. I want to say it would get right around 100 miles to the tank. The one I drive had an inline 6 with a three speed auto trans and was left hand drive (rare).

Cool build! What wheelbase are you going to run?

ive been wanting to build one forever. i thought everyone would think i'd lost my mind. good to hear some cool stories about these old junkers.

wheelbase: i'm planning on stretching the front about 6-8" and the rear about ~6". it's at ~81" right now so that should get me to 94-95". i may stretch it more. i'll only be on 37" tires so too much of a stretch could be a bad thing. it's being towed to my house on monday so i'll get my final plans in check then. or i may drive it home tomorrow after work. we shall see. i don't know if i'll be able to wait till monday to get started on it.

anyone gota hp44 w/ weld on wedges they want to sell cheap? or some waggy leaf springs?

no updates yet. it will be towed to the house on monday so i'll get started then. i'm getting the title work done on it today. i'll snap some pictures of it today and post up some before pics so you can see what i'm starting with before i tear it all apart.

hey guys. my first post. this is the before pic i have of it. this POS is what i'm starting with. yes it does still have the USPS decals on the sides and back. It even has a fan mounted in the inside for the driver.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_mymailjeep.jpg

hey guys. my first post. this is the before pic i have of it. this POS is what i'm starting with. yes it does still have the USPS decals on the sides and back. It even has a fan mounted in the inside for the driver.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_mymailjeep.jpg

definitely keep that fan! :)
I want to see this thing progress along, sounds like a cool idea :popcorn:

were these 4x4 or 2x4? I guess the d30/d35 stock, and np231?

jeep

actually postal jeeps have a few cool features ... The pop out grill for more engine compartment room, the frame has outboard spring hangers in the rear (back in the DAY, these frames were a popular swap for flaties)... I Believe the rear end should be a dana 41 ... total odd-ball, and only good for conversation or scrap metal ... the frame should also be partialy boxed... I am looking forward to seeing what you will do with this ... Start working, I have a mild adiction to pictures of cool ideas applied to sheetmetal and jeeps!!!!

thats sounds cool man lol ur dad was telling me and jeff yesterday about it sounds like its going to b a sweet build

thats sounds cool man lol ur dad was telling me and jeff yesterday about it sounds like its going to b a sweet build

hey james. yeah my dad was telling me he told you guys. hopefully i'll get this thing going in the not to far future. i'll drive it by whenever i get it done. how is jeffrey's truck? i saw it when i was at my 'rents house tonight. good thing the thing didn't roll over.

chad yeah man i want to see lol yeah he got really lucky it didnt roll his cv broke then the hub bearing went out on 485 he thinks there going to total it but if they dont hes going to take the ifs out and straight axle it.

okay. so day 1 of the build consisted of tearing stuff apart and cleaning out all the old nasty carpet, roof insulation, gas tank, rear bumper, etc. there's a little bit more rust than i thought but i can cut the floors out and replace some of the rusty stuff.

what it looked like when it was first towed to the house today.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1616.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1617.jpg

ford 9" in pic. the full width axles are going to stick out past the body. the body is only about 60" wide. i hope it doesn't look goofy. we'll see soon enough i guess.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1618.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1619.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1621.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1625.jpg

straight up nasty old junk.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1626.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1627.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1630.jpg

stripped interior ready for cleaning
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1628.jpg

rear looks like an old dana 35. not positive. either way it's going to the scrap yard unless someone wants it.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1630.jpg

i'm getting my plan together. so the factory wheelbase is ~82". axles are 51". body in the rear is ~60" wide.

new specs. i plan to stretch the front 7" and stretch the rear 6". i'm opening up the rear fender wells but i won't comp cut it. the full width 9" is 67" wide. the front will match once i locate one. i'll be going with a hp dana 44. still not sure about the drivetrain yet. i want to get all the suspension mocked up and do the motor last. i don't want a running motor to sit for too long so i'm kind of doing it backwards from what i normally see.

Back