Good 3.5" Xj leaf spring?

junkxj

Well poop!!!!!
Long story short, my latest XJ I bought was lifted as cheaply as possible when I got it to get out a few times this summer.

After adding the rear bumper/tire carrier, the aal in the way past worn out factory springs aren't cutting it.

So......

Suggestions on a good 3.5" ish leaf spring for an xj???

Looking at OME, and maybe R.E. cause they are a little less expensive.

R.E. as in Rubicon Express are good stuf, Ruff Country aren't nearly as bad as everyone makes them out. The long arm kit they build is actually nice. Since you can buy it seperate I've seen rigs run the kit with R.E. springs all around.

I am running RE 4.5, have to get the shackle relocation brackets to get a *45 on my shackles. Rusty's coils in front.

Check ZONE, I have read good things about their stuff and pricing.

I have a set of 3.5" arb xj leafs you can have. Used in one race and don't need them.

Just drive to Raleigh

I am running RE 4.5, have to get the shackle relocation brackets to get a *45 on my shackles. Rusty's coils in front.

Check ZONE, I have read good things about their stuff and pricing.

Any idea on how the shackle angle is with the shorter R.E. springs?

The suspension I have now is zone stuff, seems decent for the money.

Sorry, no. The lift that was in it was pieced together and the rear springs were bent up.

I have had good luck with Iron Rock Offroad springs. I run the 5.5” pack but they have a 3.5” of the same design just less arch. Full military wrap and they ride nicely, firm but not harsh with the stock shocks and no extra weight from HD bumpers. They should ride really nicely with the extra weight of a tire carrier bumper and spare. They are super long, you will need a shackle relocation bracket and a longer shackle in order for them to fit. I did the hd offroad no lift relocators and a 6” long shackle and still had to clearance the rear crossmember for the shackles to clear at full bump. They’re worth it if you’re willing to do the extra work to get them to fit.

Last edited:
Chevy 63” leafs?? I hear great things using em on xjs and I’ll say if you launch ya xj much, they hold up surprisingly well to the abuse! Little more then swapping leafs tho

Chevy 63” leafs?? I hear great things using em on xjs and I’ll say if you launch ya xj much, they hold up surprisingly well to the abuse! Little more then swapping leafs tho

Too much for a leaf spring in my opinion. Those things will become rock magnets on the rear. IRO and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the info.

I have looked at the iro springs. I knew they required a shackle relocation or longer shackles.
Only problem I see in using them with longer shackles is I would end up with more lift than I need.
I guess the question is, would these springs work with a shackle relocation and stock length shackles? Or would that defeat the point of using them?

Stock length shackles will stink unless you can relocate their position. Hence the need for shackle relocators.

The shackle should be at a 45 degree angle to maximize spring movement. Sadly leaf packs are an experiment. You can always remove a leaf if you are too tall but a little extra height in the back isn’t a big deal in my opinion.

Stock length shackles will stink unless you can relocate their position. Hence the need for shackle relocators.

The shackle should be at a 45 degree angle to maximize spring movement. Sadly leaf packs are an experiment. You can always remove a leaf if you are too tall but a little extra height in the back isn’t a big deal in my opinion.

Would you suggest a shorter (2"-2.5") lift spring with a longer shackle and relocation brackets to end up with around 3.5" lift?

Edit: after thinking about what I asked, I'm not sure a smaller lift spring would work with the relocation brackets correctly?

Last edited:
Would you suggest a shorter (2"-2.5") lift spring with a longer shackle and relocation brackets to end up with around 3.5" lift?

Edit: after thinking about what I asked, I'm not sure a smaller lift spring would work with the relocation brackets correctly?

So longer shackles are great for flex but mess up your pinion angle. In general the leaf packs can be relatively flat. That offers a lot of droop which can’t be had with a giant arch spring.

Id suggest a 2.5” spring, a boomerang shackle, and a shackle relocator. Just be ready to shim your axle to get the pinion angle back in spec. You can clear 33”-35” tires with that no problem with fender trimming.

So longer shackles are great for flex but mess up your pinion angle. In general the leaf packs can be relatively flat. That offers a lot of droop which can’t be had with a giant arch spring.

Id suggest a 2.5” spring, a boomerang shackle, and a shackle relocator. Just be ready to shim your axle to get the pinion angle back in spec. You can clear 33”-35” tires with that no problem with fender trimming.

So maybe a 2 inch lift spring, with the 3 inch longer than stock shackles I have sitting in the basement, combined with the mentioned no lift shackle relocation brackets?

I know this next question depends on a ton of variables, but if anyone is running a setup close to what I suggested, any idea on shock length and degree shim needed??
Just a ball park figure would be awesome!

Thanks again for the help!!!

Proper shackle length is determined by leaf spring length/arch. A lift spring that has more arch needs a longer shackle to function and cycle properly and freely. In fact, I’m not sure a stock xj shackle would work at all with the IRO springs. Let’s assume for a second it would and you could get a perfect 45* angle at ride height. Because the stock shackle is so short the arc it travels in is too small and will invert on droop, and bind on uptravel. The longer shackle with the larger arc helps mitigate this issue because the larger arc means the shackle has to travel less to account for length changes in the spring as it compresses and droops. A stock spring is longest at ride height because it is flat at ride height, and thus it doesn’t change much in length, thus why a short shackle can be used. A lift spring with a tall arch changes more more in length as it cycles.

Whatever spring you decide on, I’d recommend getting one that has a full military wrap. It seems to help the spring last longer before sagging with the axle wrap issues the XJ has. I’ve got multiple friends with the OME springs that sagged after a year because of axle wrap. With stock bump stops the xj springs will invert at full bump, which fatigues them faster and will cause them to sag. You may be able to get away with adding another stock xj main leaf to your packs as a military wrap and then do thenlonger shackles and relocation brackets. That may get you the height you’re looking for.

Or you could always do like I did and convert to SUA :D

Proper shackle length is determined by leaf spring length/arch. A lift spring that has more arch needs a longer shackle to function and cycle properly and freely. In fact, I’m not sure a stock xj shackle would work at all with the IRO springs. Let’s assume for a second it would and you could get a perfect 45* angle at ride height. Because the stock shackle is so short the arc it travels in is too small and will invert on droop, and bind on uptravel. The longer shackle with the larger arc helps mitigate this issue because the larger arc means the shackle has to travel less to account for length changes in the spring as it compresses and droops. A stock spring is longest at ride height because it is flat at ride height, and thus it doesn’t change much in length, thus why a short shackle can be used. A lift spring with a tall arch changes more more in length as it cycles.

Whatever spring you decide on, I’d recommend getting one that has a full military wrap. It seems to help the spring last longer before sagging with the axle wrap issues the XJ has. I’ve got multiple friends with the OME springs that sagged after a year because of axle wrap. With stock bump stops the xj springs will invert at full bump, which fatigues them faster and will cause them to sag. You may be able to get away with adding another stock xj main leaf to your packs as a military wrap and then do thenlonger shackles and relocation brackets. That may get you the height you’re looking for.

Or you could always do like I did and convert to SUA :D

Makes perfect sense.

So I gather the iro spring wouldnt be a usable option for a total lift height of 3.5" ish lift.

So I guess that would bring back the option of the shorter springs, I.E. the ome and R.E. springs...........

Makes perfect sense.

So I gather the iro spring wouldnt be a usable option for a total lift height of 3.5" ish lift.

So I guess that would bring back the option of the shorter springs, I.E. the ome and R.E. springs...........

Sounds like it. You will probably be about 4.5-5 all said and done with the IRO properly set up. Check BDS too, lifetime no questions asked warranty on their springs. I think they have a 2.5”. OME has the closest to stock ride quality in my experience.

Sounds like it. You will probably be about 4.5-5 all said and done with the IRO properly set up. Check BDS too, lifetime no questions asked warranty on their springs. I think they have a 2.5”. OME has the closest to stock ride quality in my experience.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
Ome is what I have been thinking , just wanted some opinions of others......

Back