Gotta show the tow rig some love..

Rich

Asshole at large
It was very obvious that the previous owner of my rig didn't know what floormats or cup holders were from the beginning... the carpet was badly stained, and had dirt ground into it severely... my shop vac didn't make a dent, and the carpet fibers were matted down..

I had always figured I'd just buy new carpet, but I figured what the heck, lemme try the supermarket rental steam cleaner.. Used near-boiling water and the carpet soap... 5 (yes 5) rounds later, the water coming up wasn't dirty anymore.

Yeah, I'm happy.

Attachments

• carpet-before.jpg
    carpet-before.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 841
  • carpet-after.jpg
    carpet-after.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 856
and since the carpet was out, no time like the present to add a little sound deadening!

Of course, I'm not about to spend $500+ on enough dynamat to do the truck, soooo... window flashing is also self-adhesive, and made of butyl rubber like the better sound deadening mats.. it's just a little thinner, but at $20 for a 6" x 75' roll, it's WAY cheaper. took 2 rolls to do this, hope it helps some...

Attachments

• sounddead-front.jpg
    sounddead-front.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,180
  • sounddead-rear.jpg
    sounddead-rear.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 834
Rich said:
and since the carpet was out, no time like the present to add a little sound deadening!

Of course, I'm not about to spend $500+ on enough dynamat to do the truck, soooo... window flashing is also self-adhesive, and made of butyl rubber like the better sound deadening mats.. it's just a little thinner, but at $20 for a 6" x 75' roll, it's WAY cheaper. took 2 rolls to do this, hope it helps some...

Very cool, Rich. I assume you can get the window flashing at any Lowe's or Home Depot?

Jeff

:eek: You can always tell when a guys gotta wife that DOESN'T have a monumental kick-ass honey-do list to occupy his every single freakin free moment :lol: :flipoff2:

pretty good idea on the sound! If that doesn't work as well as you'd like, I THINK I still have a roll of fire proof foil backed insulation I nabbed from a job that had massive exhaust hood ductwork that required insulating.

1200 degree Pyroscat thats apparently expensive as hell. I lined the interior of my 62 street truck with it

awww.troybaker.com_62_Image08.jpg

awww.troybaker.com_62_mar183.jpg

awww.troybaker.com_62_seat.jpg

I can't remember if that extra roll I had got damaged in the flood we had in the basement in 2003 before I had it waterproofed, but if it's still down there I can hook you up!

All it takes is some foil-faced industrial duct wrap tape (the kind that takes DAMN sharp scissors to cut) to join 2 pieces and you're set.

Troy - actually, I *DO* have a massive honey-do list.. but Sweety is in PA right now... and while momma's away, well...you know..

If you find that roll, I'd love it! Can't have too much sound deadening in a truck like mine. The wife will thank you.. ;)

Jeff - yup..both HD & Lowe's had it.. HD had a better selection for once.

Rich - definitely let me know if that makes a difference. I'll be pulling the seats and rubber floor mats on my CTD Chevy at some point, and would definitely like to reduce the interior noise levels a little. :driver:

Rich,
I was talking to my buddy last night and he had the same issue with his carpet. What he did was lightly spray it with the hose and sprinkel Laundry detergent on it and the rolled it up and let it set for a day or so. Then he Pressure Washed it and it looked like new.
Just a FYI for the future.

Looks good. I need to clean my carpet also :D

I put some similar stuff on my doors, but it had a reflective metel covering as well. I wasn't able to notice any noise difference in the doors with 2 layers, but the speakers definately sound a lot nicer.

I would be curious to know what kind of difference doing the floor and back of the cab makes. Let us know. -Tim

yager said:
so did you have any of this done before or after lunch the other day ? :flipoff2:

None - just the teardown and cleaning phase... :flipoff2: right back atcha!

I actually did *all* of that last night after I came home from work... Yeah, it was a LATE night.

Notice any sound difference? I thought about the dynamat thing too, butway too much $$$.

Haven't driven the truck yet, so I can't tell ya.. As for the speakers, the OEM Dodge ones will sound like shit no matter what. :D

You should notice a difference. You have effectively lowered the resonant frequency of the interior of the truck. We used to use "Grace" ice and water sheild in all of our competition vehicles for the shop I worked at in college. I had 2 3'x50' rolls in my little hatchback. Sounds like alot, but the doors sounded like a Lexus closing and I picked up 4 db in sound due to the rigidity of the car.

I used that in my 87 4runner. It made the doors sound like real doors ;not like tin cans, when they shut. overall it sounds alot better in there.

Nice job Rich!

I did notice on the way into work, that my 2000rpm exhaust resonance is cut WAY down... That's VERY important, since that's right at the speed I want to tow.. :)

Good idea Rich. Looks great!

- Mac

After the truck is all back together, it's enough of a difference to be noticable. And at 1/10 the price of dynamat, well worth it.

so bring it back from the dead..

what is your long term analysis???
was it worht it???
is it still holding up fine??
any problems??

I would hope for something thicker if I had to do it again, since it is so time consuming.

holding up? I don't know, it's under the carpet & door panels.
Problems - see "is it holding up" :p

Thanks for the info.. I found it at Lowes.. HD did not have it...

Once I get camera to shop I will take a few pics

Rich, I wish you would have had this on here a few months ago....I used Edead on my suburban, off ebay.. spent $200 but I did the whole suburban, and I mean the whole damn thing.. Sounds great!! but I would have tried somethng that would have been cheaper.. My carpet is out right now, along with all my interior making room for new durango seats that I have to make mounts for.. I spent prolly $25 at the car wash trying to get my carpets clean as I could, and since it was blue, and Im repainting the burb black, I bought carpet paint at Advance, and painted it.. so far it coats pretty good.. havent had it in yet, or feet on it.. but since Im going to have foot mats over the painted carpet Im thinking it will hold up. $25 in spray carpet paint compared to $250 new set from JCwhiteny was an easy choice.

I cannot find this stuff at either home depot OR lowes. The only kind of "window flashing" they have is the aluminum stuff. Where exactly would this stuff be found? Does it have a different name? I need to do this in the ZJ in the worst kind of way but I can't freaking find it. No carpet = LOUD.

Thanks.

hey that does sound like good stuff. the carpet in my tow rig is toast as well, but i dont want carpet no more so im goin with the vinyl replacement outta jcwhitney its only 180 bucks, so that plus the sound deading junk would be superb!

Back