Handgun Travel Laws

That's a big "IF".

I'll take my chances.

I don't smoke, do drugs, or drink and drive, ever. I'm not a crook or a law breaker. However, when it comes to travel with firearms, I'm not as confident I completely understand every state's laws, even after research and am less than thrilled to put my life in the hands of a potentially power tripping cop.
It is an if. BUT, when you lie to them, and they find out, there is no if, they are going to throw the book at you, and then youre really screwed.

That's a big "IF".

I'll take my chances.

I don't smoke, do drugs, or drink and drive, ever. I'm not a crook or a law breaker. However, when it comes to travel with firearms, I'm not as confident I completely understand every state's laws, even after research and am less than thrilled to put my life in the hands of a potentially power tripping cop.

when i travel i always have things setup so things can be quickly... relocated in a superior manner should it come to a point they want to manually verify the safe storage of the firearm.

here is a thought. how are we supposed to maintain a standing militia and exercise the "right to bear" arms (the spirit of which was entirely about keeping gov in check), when so much of the capabilities and freedoms around guns have been redtaped or straight up gestapo'fied????

It is an if. BUT, when you lie to them, and they find out, there is no if, they are going to throw the book at you, and then youre really screwed.

How would they ever find out? Really?

One path, the cop is all in your business looking through your vehicle and at your weapon and you are completely at the mercy of the cop.

The second path, a little white lie, get a warning for a tail light, and everyone continues on their merry way.

I guess my thoughts are, don't introduce an opportunity for scrutiny as to how you are transporting a weapon by avoiding it all together. If he feels he must press on and search the vehicle, then he needs justifiable cause. If he doesn't have cause, and as long as you don't reek of drugs or alcohol, legally it's difficult to establish cause.

I go to MD once a year and I'm a ccp holder. I stop at the VA border and check my firearm. I've never been pulled over, but if I do I'll let them know where the firearm is IF they ask. I don't offer free information.

How would they ever find out? Really?

One path, the cop is all in your business looking through your vehicle and at your weapon and you are completely at the mercy of the cop.

The second path, a little white lie, get a warning for a tail light, and everyone continues on their merry way.

I guess my thoughts are, don't introduce an opportunity for scrutiny as to how you are transporting a weapon by avoiding it all together. If he feels he must press on and search the vehicle, then he needs justifiable cause. If he doesn't have cause, and as long as you don't reek of drugs or alcohol, legally it's difficult to establish cause.
Or you get a cop thats good at his job, and he calls you on your bullsh!t and then they pile all they can on you. Whereas if your honest, they are likely to let something small slide. There are also interstate travel laws that are there to protect ou in such instances, but if you lie to the cop intentionally, you just threw that out the window...

Or you get a cop thats good at his job, and he calls you on your bullsh!t and then they pile all they can on you. Whereas if your honest, they are likely to let something small slide. There are also interstate travel laws that are there to protect ou in such instances, but if you lie to the cop intentionally, you just threw that out the window...

We'll have to agree to disagree. :)

This would mean that Ron's school concern is now unwarranted, correct? Has this changed since the time you were referring to Ron?

Correct. Seems they fixed this. Quick bill history says it might have been fixed before my incident, but contradicts what I learned in my ccp class.

Serious question @ckruzer .... state a has 1 carry law. State b has a different law.
How do you not break the law when traveling between them?

Serious question @ckruzer .... state a has 1 carry law. State b has a different law.
How do you not break the law when traveling between them?

I’ll see if I can find the case law supporting it. Not sure if any statutes also support. But the consensus was that provided you could provide evidence you were traveling A to B interstate commerce, then the state you were in inbetween wouldn’t be the proper forum, therefore ticket or prohibita offense wouldn’t stand.

I’ll look but can’t until tonight.

I’ll see if I can find the case law supporting it. Not sure if any statutes also support. But the consensus was that provided you could provide evidence you were traveling A to B interstate commerce, then the state you were in inbetween wouldn’t be the proper forum, therefore ticket or prohibita offense wouldn’t stand.

I’ll look but can’t until tonight.

Problem is, cops don't care about case law and you have to argue that point with your attorney in front of a judge.

Problem is, cops don't care about case law and you have to argue that point with your attorney in front of a judge.

exactly. which is why before in a previous post i said "regardless, youre gunna need a lawyer". haha.

Ok, another question here. I was taught in CC class that you had to tell the cop that you were carrying or not and provide them your CHP when you hand them your license. That is, if you have a CHP. For NC of course. Is this true or false?

Ok, another question here. I was taught in CC class that you had to tell the cop that you were carrying or not and provide them your CHP when you hand them your license. That is, if you have a CHP. For NC of course. Is this true or false?
I cannot remember the code offhand but I believe in nc it is a written law that you must inform the officer of any weapons and their location, as well as give them your CHP with your DL if applicable. If you are not carrying, or are open carrying, you do not have to provide your CHP since it has no bearing on the situation. But without the code book in front of me I am not 100% sure.

I cannot remember the code offhand but I believe in nc it is a written law that you must inform the officer of any weapons and their location, as well as give them your CHP with your DL if applicable. If you are not carrying, or are open carrying, you do not have to provide your CHP since it has no bearing on the situation. But without the code book in front of me I am not 100% sure.
Thats how it was explained to me in my ccw class. I still inform the officer that I have a cc and i am armed or not since its going to come up when he runs the info. For example i was test driving a customer car that had a dead plate and I got pulled. Even though i wasnt armed I told the fayetteville cop I had a ccw and was unarmed. He said ok and i got a warning for the plate. I figured it may help ease his mind vs wondering if I had a gun I was hiding.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I recall it saying to had to inform when you were and provide your permit with DL. I don’t recall it mentioning a protocol if you had ccw but not carrying.

I have been pulled over and then when they came back they asked if I was. I said no and would have said so if I was. But that exp confirmed with the above in that I agree it would be proper in your home state where they can see that your tag is attached to ccw, it would be proper to hand it over and say you are not to ease their mind.

If your me out of state they should not be able to tell unless dispatch tells them iirc

I recall it saying to had to inform when you were and provide your permit with DL. I don’t recall it mentioning a protocol if you had ccw but not carrying.

I have been pulled over and then when they came back they asked if I was. I said no and would have said so if I was. But that exp confirmed with the above in that I agree it would be proper in your home state where they can see that your tag is attached to ccw, it would be proper to hand it over and say you are not to ease their mind.

If your me out of state they should not be able to tell unless dispatch tells them iirc
Thats what the instructor told us. In NC you only have to tell if you're concealed carrying, but he recommended telling them either way for piece of mind. He said if you go out of state you should follow their rules if you know of them, if not dont offer any info, wait for them to ask, then tell the truth. I remember him specifically mentioning md and ny states as being strict, I zoned some of that out since i have no intention of ever going north of VA, LOL.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I was told to inform that I have CCW even if I wasn't carrying, That way when they run your DL they don't get a surprise and come back asking you more questions or assuming you have guns and just avoided telling them. The instructor never said it was law, but may save you a unwanted headache.

I was told to inform that I have CCW even if I wasn't carrying, That way when they run your DL they don't get a surprise and come back asking you more questions or assuming you have guns and just avoided telling them. The instructor never said it was law, but may save you a unwanted headache.

This is what I do. It eases the stress on the LEO. And let's them know your on the right side of the law.

I have nothing special to add, but this was forwarded from the Huntersville Public Safety Officer who posts things on social media.

Vehicle Safe Sale $16

The Range at Lake Norman is currently offering a $16.00+tx SnapSafe to all residents of Huntersville (who mention this public safety announcement) and while supplies last. Now, there is no guarantee that a would be thief will not make every effort to steal your firearm, however this added layer of protection will definitely help deter the crime from occurring. Please stop by and visit Brian Sisson at the Range at Lake Norman located at 10913 Bailey Rd. Cornelius NC 28031. We would also like to thank the residents of Huntersville for their continued show of support throughout the year! We know that we would not be the 4th safest city in the state without your assistance. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! These are the Safest Cities in North Carolina

Back