Handgun Travel Laws

WARRIORWELDING

Owner opperator Of WarriorWelding LLC.
I'm up for some travel due to work. I also tend to carry. I am not a concealed permit holder. I generally keep a firearm at arms distance in plain view however. Is there a good clean quick and accurate data base for travel in the continental US in regards to state laws?

It is a damn shame we live in a Country whose Right to Bare Arms gets so bloody chopped up and miss interpreted from State to State. I'm for Constitutional Carry but I realize that isn't kosher for some areas.

Specifically I am going up to Cleveland to Lincoln for some Robotic Welding Seminars.

not having a permit complicates things. Here is a map for of where a permit is honored, but I do not know of an easy way to figure it out for open carry

Attachments

• My Account _ USCCA.pdf
    83.4 KB · Views: 183
It's a freaking mess.

When we went to Wyoming, we added a couple hours to our drive to go around Illinois. Some states aren't worth the risk, as for the rest... Well we could have read a bunch of state laws, but we choose to just hit the pedal and try not to shoot anyone on the way.

The National Reciprocity Bill is in Congress, nearing a vote in the House where it should pass. The Senate will be the PITA as it usually is. That will make it easier to travel with a Conceal Carry.

Ultimately, unless you object to getting your fingerprints in 'the system', I'd get the CCW. It's worth knowing the laws of self-defense if you are going to be around firearms. Or if you have a gun in your house, it's surprisingly ridiculous as to when you CAN and CAN'T shoot people. Or if you travel with guns, even to the range, and get stopped at a check point. It's complicated as to what 'concealed' is, and if you have a permit, it don't matter none. If you don't, it's illegal.

Random story - A buddy of mine in Raleigh kept a chainsaw in his bedroom while he was in college. He thought he heard a noise once, and fired it up in the middle of the night. Peeved his future wife off greatly, as she woke to him standing over the bed rarr'ing a chainsaw. But he figured he had a better chance of scaring someone away without having to shoot them. Turned out their dog knocked some stuff over.

He also fired a shot into his yard once to break up two bums fighting. So he's kind of an idiot.

It's a freaking mess.

When we went to Wyoming, we added a couple hours to our drive to go around Illinois. Some states aren't worth the risk, as for the rest... Well we could have read a bunch of state laws, but we choose to just hit the pedal and try not to shoot anyone on the way.

The National Reciprocity Bill is in Congress, nearing a vote in the House where it should pass. The Senate will be the PITA as it usually is. That will make it easier to travel with a Conceal Carry.

Ultimately, unless you object to getting your fingerprints in 'the system', I'd get the CCW. It's worth knowing the laws of self-defense if you are going to be around firearms. Or if you have a gun in your house, it's surprisingly ridiculous as to when you CAN and CAN'T shoot people. Or if you travel with guns, even to the range, and get stopped at a check point. It's complicated as to what 'concealed' is, and if you have a permit, it don't matter none. If you don't, it's illegal.

Random story - A buddy of mine in Raleigh kept a chainsaw in his bedroom while he was in college. He thought he heard a noise once, and fired it up in the middle of the night. Peeved his future wife off greatly, as she woke to him standing over the bed rarr'ing a chainsaw. But he figured he had a better chance of scaring someone away without having to shoot them. Turned out their dog knocked some stuff over.

He also fired a shot into his yard once to break up two bums fighting. So he's kind of an idiot.

There are reasons not to have a CCW other than finger prints.
In SC a gun crime, escalates to a felony if you are a CCW holder. Also in SC you are not allowed to possess a firearm inside a vehicle on public school property. So if you are a CCW permit holder and pick your kids up from school with a gun in your truck and they have the dog walking the lot like they do regularly...welcome to felon status.

BTW in SC you are not required to have a CCW to concealed carry inside your vehicle off your person. Also no lock rule either.

CCW gets you a first class target on your back going thru Maryland. They seek out CCW by tag and will pull you over to check for firearms. If they're not locked in the trunk and hard enough to access to satisfy the officer, your going to jail

Also in SC you are not allowed to possess a firearm inside a vehicle on public school property. So if you are a CCW permit holder and pick your kids up from school with a gun in your truck and they have the dog walking the lot like they do regularly...welcome to felon status.
Tn is not that way.I have picked up Jake at school multiple times w one on me.You just cannot get out of your vehicle w it.

CCW gets you a first class target on your back going thru Maryland. They seek out CCW by tag and will pull you over to check for firearms. If they're not locked in the trunk and hard enough to access to satisfy the officer, your going to jail
When I took the class to get my carry permit I ask the instructor if that was possible and he laughed at me and said it wasn't CSI.But I don't see why they couldn't tell.My permit has the very same # my drivers liscense has.

When I took the class to get my carry permit I ask the instructor it that was possible and he laughed at me and said it wasn't CSI.But I don't see why they couldn't tell.My permit has the very same # my drivers liscense has.

Depends on the state. In NC the CHP is linked to your drivers license and then to your license plates. If someone runs your plates in NC and you have a CHP they know it. So many MD cops run NC plates just to pull over the CHP holders. In other states there are no such linkages.

So if you are a CCW permit holder and pick your kids up from school with a gun in your truck and they have the dog walking the lot like they do regularly...welcome to felon status.
Need more info on dog. Can it swim? Can it retrieve underwater?

Note to self: Maryland must be full Of DUCHEBAGS. Are they just that anti gun in them parts?

On another note I really don't feel I have to have permission to carry concealed or open. I don't write the laws so I want to be "aware" of them.

As far as me obtaining a permit. You want be talking me into obtaining one unless by some miracle all States recognize and standardize the mess. This includes from what you guys say about Maryland. I personally feel like that extent of harassment should be highly unconstitutional.....but that's another thread.

Thanks for the help fellas. Keep Ya Powder DRY.

Note to self: Maryland must be full Of DUCHEBAGS. Are they just that anti gun in them parts?

Pretty much

Think of all the DC left wing twatwaffles that feel NOVA is far too conservative for them. It's a Hillary Hideaway

In SC a gun crime, escalates to a felony if you are a CCW holder. Also in SC you are not allowed to possess a firearm inside a vehicle on public school property. So if you are a CCW permit holder and pick your kids up from school with a gun in your truck and they have the dog walking the lot like they do regularly...welcome to felon status.

BTW in SC you are not required to have a CCW to concealed carry inside your vehicle off your person. Also no lock rule either.

In NC you can have have your gun in the car, concealed with the car locked, you can have it on you as long as you don't get out of car and the car remains locked until someone gets in then is locked again. As far as escalating to a felony goes, if you have your CCW then you know the law and stupid is as stupid does, you ain't John Wayne or Clint Eastwood!

Way more positives than negatives to having it.

Wait...if you have a concealed permit in NC, can't you just have it in your pocket at all times? In the car, walking down the street, in any place that doesn't explicitly state no firearms?

The whole deal is confusing, on purpose, to lock people up, keep people from carrying, confiscate guns, keep people from buying them....and we voted for it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

In NC you can have have your gun in the car, concealed with the car locked, you can have it on you as long as you don't get out of car and the car remains locked until someone gets in then is locked again. As far as escalating to a felony goes, if you have your CCW then you know the law and stupid is as stupid does, you ain't John Wayne or Clint Eastwood!

Way more positives than negatives to having it.

I disagree, strongly, with your last point.

Regarding being stupid..when my wife was involved in a car accident and was taken by ambulance to the hospital and I got a call that I needed to pick my then 3rd grade daughter up from school... and I was not able to get to the school until 1 hour after dismisal - and that was without driving 25 minutes past the school to the house and then 25 minutes back...then pulled in the lot to see the police walking dogs up to all the employee cars...well lets just say I got nervous. I surrendered my CCW the next week. That's been 6ish years now and Ive never once regretted the decision.

Of course this was all before that horrible boating accident I have posted about before where my precious few firearms all sank and were never recovered.

Correct you are. And an excellent example of "profiling".
Fawk Maryland.

Www.Handgunlaw.us is a pretty good resource too. I believe it covers gun (ccw and open) plus knife laws for every state.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Where the OP is traveling determines how to answer his questions. The above site is going to be your best resource without more information.

As for the commie states, fawk them I won't travel through them. Only exception is NY ONLY of I have to go to accompany my Yankee wife to a funeral but I'll do my best to stay home even then :D

I had my course taken for nearly a decade before I decided to apply for my CCP. Different strokes for different folks.

And now...
:popcorn:

I disagree, strongly, with your last point.

Regarding being stupid..when my wife was involved in a car accident and was taken by ambulance to the hospital and I got a call that I needed to pick my then 3rd grade daughter up from school... and I was not able to get to the school until 1 hour after dismisal - and that was without driving 25 minutes past the school to the house and then 25 minutes back...then pulled in the lot to see the police walking dogs up to all the employee cars...well lets just say I got nervous. I surrendered my CCW the next week. That's been 6ish years now and Ive never once regretted the decision.

Of course this was all before that horrible boating accident I have posted about before where my precious few firearms all sank and were never recovered.

I wasn't calling you stupid, I was just saying people who know the law shouldn't act stupid, sorry if you took it as directed at you personally. As for the rest of what I said about having it in the car, that is covered in the CCW training handbook. The last thing is just my opinion, you are entitled to yours too.

We race in MD 1-2x a year. Last year I went through this bullshit. I wasn't speeding, he was behind me for a few miles, pulled along side in my blind spot where I could tell he was running my plate. And so the witchhunt began. I pull over, he claims my bike on the hitch rack was illegally blocking my license plate as his excuse to pull me over. I just smiled, nodded, yessir'd and handed him my License, reg and CCW card already knowing where this was going. He asks where the gun is and I proceed to tell him the mags are in the glove box and the pistol is disassembled in the locked console under the middle seat as those are the only two lockable areas of the truck. We play 3 or four renditions of "are those the only firearms in the truck" which Im sure was attributed to the camo backpack in the back seat and the pile of gear bags/totes. He goes back and sits in his car for 10 or so minutes before returning with my info and sends me on my way. No more mention of the hitch rack, bike etc. No ticket, warning or whatever.

We race in MD 1-2x a year. Last year I went through this bullshit. I wasn't speeding, he was behind me for a few miles, pulled along side in my blind spot where I could tell he was running my plate. And so the witchhunt began. I pull over, he claims my bike on the hitch rack was illegally blocking my license plate as his excuse to pull me over. I just smiled, nodded, yessir'd and handed him my License, reg and CCW card already knowing where this was going. He asks where the gun is and I proceed to tell him the mags are in the glove box and the pistol is disassembled in the locked console under the middle seat as those are the only two lockable areas of the truck. We play 3 or four renditions of "are those the only firearms in the truck" which Im sure was attributed to the camo backpack in the back seat and the pile of gear bags/totes. He goes back and sits in his car for 10 or so minutes before returning with my info and sends me on my way. No more mention of the hitch rack, bike etc. No ticket, warning or whatever.
Quoting this because it's completely about something that would tear me up. It's off the original topic but now great for discussion.
How or I should say why does something like this widely known keep happening?
I mean sure around NC we get to grow up and live a little different. I just can't rationalize the tolerance of this sort of policing. Locals, non locals, travelers, any of it.
So.....in turn. Is this sorta thing just acceptable elsewhere? Is this sorta thing more widespread then I realize? Is this why people berate the police state of our nation?
All question by someone who obviously doesn't travel much outside a one state radius.
Not that I live in a bubble or under a rock but damn. I thought this was Merica!

Back