Handgun Travel Laws

I disagree, strongly, with your last point.

Regarding being stupid..when my wife was involved in a car accident and was taken by ambulance to the hospital and I got a call that I needed to pick my then 3rd grade daughter up from school... and I was not able to get to the school until 1 hour after dismisal - and that was without driving 25 minutes past the school to the house and then 25 minutes back...then pulled in the lot to see the police walking dogs up to all the employee cars...well lets just say I got nervous. I surrendered my CCW the next week. That's been 6ish years now and Ive never once regretted the decision.

I get you being nervous. You got put into a tough spot while armed.

But one uncomfortable situation, is not enough to make me stop being armed the other 99% of the time.

I get you being nervous. You got put into a tough spot while armed.

But one uncomfortable situation, is not enough to make me stop being armed the other 99% of the time.

Oh I wont stop being armed.
But I will choose how a classify myself. Better judged by 12 than carried by 6 - but that doesnt mean I have to make their case easier.

I've had many a conversation with people who would rather be armed and permit less. And that's their decision to be made.

But your case seems backwards.

You get put into a single tough legal spot, so your solution is to turn your permit in, and then put yourself into a continuously tough legal spot. Where you went from breaking the law once to breaking the law multiple times...

Wrong.

Cannot carry in or on school property. Can lock in car.

State property, DOT facility, court houses, sheriffs stations ect, ect.. not sure about locking in car on state properties.

The law was updated, as long as you do not get out of your car a NC CHP holder can keep the gun on your person it does not have to be stored. If you are exiting your vehicle then you have to put it in a closed container before you exit then lock your vehicle. I am a CHP instructor and this was the latest update to the law.

I've had many a conversation with people who would rather be armed and permit less. And that's their decision to be made.

But your case seems backwards.

You get put into a single tough legal spot, so your solution is to turn your permit in, and then put yourself into a continuously tough legal spot. Where you went from breaking the law once to breaking the law multiple times...

Something is getting lost in translation...
In SC inside my vehicle I do not need a CCW to carry a weapon.
Outside my vehicle...well that's a fair point. But I lost all my guns in the boating accident so its moot.

Ron, in your case being in SC I understand that the laws seem to be vastly different. Here in nc you can keep it locked in your vehicle. The only place you are not allowed to lock it in the car is the post office. Anywhere else you can at the least, leave it in the car. The laws here in NC greatly favor the gun owner. I would advise anyone who likes to carry, or even just wants less hassle and more knowledge when buying guns to get their CCW in NC. It is worth every penny.
No gun 'rules' or 'laws' favor the gun owner. They are vague, constantly changing, ripe with if-then statements designed for confusion, require money and time to be spent, and are not uniform.

I should be able to carry my shotgun, rifle, handgun on my hip, in my pocket, in my car, wherever. Police and the military can, why not me? A gun is a tool.

How is a gun on my hip (no ccw permit needed) any less dangerous than having the gun in my coat pocket, where a permit is needed?

These rules and laws are clearly not for safety, it's about money and control. Either you can own a gun or you can't. Should stop there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

No gun 'rules' or 'laws' favor the gun owner. They are vague, constantly changing, ripe with if-then statements designed for confusion, require money and time to be spent, and are not uniform.

I should be able to carry my shotgun, rifle, handgun on my hip, in my pocket, in my car, wherever. Police and the military can, why not me? A gun is a tool.

How is a gun on my hip (no ccw permit needed) any less dangerous than having the gun in my coat pocket, where a permit is needed?

These rules and laws are clearly not for safety, it's about money and control. Either you can own a gun or you can't. Should stop there.

giphy.gif

Something is getting lost in translation...
In SC inside my vehicle I do not need a CCW to carry a weapon.
Outside my vehicle...well that's a fair point. But I lost all my guns in the boating accident so its moot.

Ah, gotcha. But why not keep the CCW? Is it tied into your license plate and that's your concern?

I have family in MD and have made the trip a couple times over the past few years. Just to be clear, my family is on the eastern shore, and is much different than the DC area, but its still MD... I read all that about checking your plate and pulling you, and I think I saw somewhere that SC doesn't share, but I went unarmed just to be safe.

South Carolina Code 16-23-430. Carrying weapon on school property; concealed weapons
Current as of: 2016 | Check for updates | Other versions
(A) It shall be unlawful for any person, except state, county, or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms, or any other type of weapon, device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.

(B) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.

This would mean that Ron's school concern is now unwarranted, correct? Has this changed since the time you were referring to Ron?

AMEN!

CCW gets you a first class target on your back going thru Maryland. They seek out CCW by tag and will pull you over to check for firearms. If they're not locked in the trunk and hard enough to access to satisfy the officer, your going to jail
Myth.
I have multiple friends who are LEOs here in MD. Have asked them about this, they all said they can't readily/quickly look up that info by just nabbing you license plate. they can get it but it takes time, it's not like they can just automatically tell you're a CCW holder when you pass by.

And - all of them are pro-gun ownership anyway and very much support people carrying if they want.

Last edited:
Note to self: Maryland must be full Of DUCHEBAGS. Are they just that anti gun in them parts?

On another note I really don't feel I have to have permission to carry concealed or open. I don't write the laws so I want to be "aware" of them.
REALLY depends where you are, I guess. In Baltimore city - yes. Well, sort of. If you're a white business owner... well, the cops are on your side.
But the county I live in, NE of Baltimore - lets just say its a lot more rural, gun ownership here is very normal, there are tons of shooting ranges, the politics are different and the cops are way more worried about the drug problems. Actually the western/rural parts of MD are very much like NC, culturally speaking. Unfortunately the big metro centers have pretty much f%cked the politics of the state for everybody else.

For those with permits.

House approves concealed-carry reciprocity, gun bill faces challenge in Senate House approves concealed-carry reciprocity, gun bill faces challenge in Senate

It’ll probably get squashed in the senate. I’ve met the representative who started the bill. His name is Richard Hudson R-NC. He’s a good old boy from NC who likes to hunt, fish, and watch racing. I’ve hung out with him at a few gatherings. Pretty down to earth guy.

Honest question...

You do your homework and you think you know the laws of each state you are traveling in as far as you know...

You get pulled over in one of those states for something minor, maybe a taillight or something. You do not have a concealed carry permit and are otherwise legally able to have a pistol...

Cop does his typical thing and asks for license and registration and while searching for registration, he asks you if you have weapons, etc in the vehicle...

What do you say?

If you say yes, then he is definitely going to take a look and if something isn't right, it's likely jail time.

Or, do you give a little white lie knowing there isn't any reason that he could search the vehicle and find the weapon you think is already correctly being transported???

What say ye?

Honest question...

You do your homework and you think you know the laws of each state you are traveling in as far as you know...

You get pulled over in one of those states for something minor, maybe a taillight or something. You do not have a concealed carry permit and are otherwise legally able to have a pistol...

Cop does his typical thing and asks for license and registration and while searching for registration, he asks you if you have weapons, etc in the vehicle...

What do you say?

If you say yes, then he is definitely going to take a look and if something isn't right, it's likely jail time.

Or, do you give a little white lie knowing there isn't any reason that he could search the vehicle and find the weapon you think is already correctly being transported???

What say ye?
Me? Im gonna tell him from the start what I have and where its at. If all is in order and you arent in New Dork or Commiefornia or the likes, you should be ok, or at least better off than if you lie to him.

The cop is more trained at lie detection than you are at telling the truth.

If you truly are traveling from one state to the next and you are on the interstate there is case law that supports the laws of the two ruling.

Either way. Be prepared to get a lawyer.

Look ahead. All states have travel laws.

Guess you posted before reading the rest of the thread
Yes, but irrelevant. I have yet to see any evidence this is an actual thing here.
Just b/c you get pulled over while CCW doesn't automatically mean that was the sole reason. That's what we call "paranoia".

It'll be interesting to see what sort of concessions they give the Dem's in the Reciprocity Bill. I'm seeing some tid-bits about strengthening background checks.

I expect it will be battered apart in the Senate, because the GOP can rarely get their crap together as a Majority Party.

The cop is more trained at lie detection than you are at telling the truth.

If you truly are traveling from one state to the next and you are on the interstate there is case law that supports the laws of the two ruling.

Either way. Be prepared to get a lawyer.

Look ahead. All states have travel laws.

So, what's the penalty for lying? And that's only if he catches you. And at that, he has to prove you are lying. He still can't search your car based on his feeling you are lying.

But, if you tell him you have a gun, you can bet your ass he is going to check it and if 1 thing is even remotely out of order it's your ass.
Why chance it?

If you could be an ass and plead the 5th.

So, what's the penalty for lying? And that's only if he catches you. And at that, he has to prove you are lying. He still can't search your car based on his feeling you are lying.

But, if you tell him you have a gun, you can bet your ass he is going to check it and if 1 thing is even remotely out of order it's your ass.
Why chance it?

because more times than not, if youre up front about it, they are likely to cut you some slack if its something minor, but if you lie to them, why should they be nice to you?

Why chance it?

i didnt quite say what should or shouldnt be done. simply proposed that lying isnt as risk free as it sounds. and acutally in all 56 states, iirc, they can now search your car if they suspect anything. it used to be as simple as reminding them they better have sufficient Specific and Articulable Facts (SAF).

"suspect appeared shifty and jittery upon approaching the vehicle. suspect hesitated slightly, increased eye movement and voice tone changed when responding to inquiry regarding current possession of a fireman. officers on duty established sufficient facts to investigate further into the contents of the vehicle and the welfare of the passengers"

because more times than not, if youre up front about it, they are likely to cut you some slack if its something minor, but if you lie to them, why should they be nice to you?

That's a big "IF".

I'll take my chances.

I don't smoke, do drugs, or drink and drive, ever. I'm not a crook or a law breaker. However, when it comes to travel with firearms, I'm not as confident I completely understand every state's laws, even after research and am less than thrilled to put my life in the hands of a potentially power tripping cop.

Back