Hardbody SAS

My Ruffstuff steering kit came in today, and i went and picked up a flare tool to fix the brake line. All in all i should have this thing driving by Sunday that is if i work on it all day Saturday and Sunday, but as of right now i have no front shock towers or front and rear shocks. So...i know it wouldnt be safe but i might have to drive it with out shocks for a week or so haha:shaking:

So i was hoping to finish this thing by Monday but of course this isnt gonna happen. I ran in to 3 major problems today
1. Even with the misalignment spacers the drag link hiem joint wont clear the leaf springs.
2. The lower ball joint is keeping the axle from turning and i have no idea why??:confused:
3. My upper ball joints arent turning correctly, the nut and cotter pin is turning with it.
I need help with the axle not clearing the ball joint problem and the upper ball joint not turning correctly, but as for the heim, im just gonna get a steering arm spacer from PartsMike.
Thanks for the help guys
but here are some pics from todays unsuccessful efforts.
SANY0450.jpg
SANY0449.jpg
SANY0448.jpg
SANY0447.jpg
this was about the only productive thing done today.
SANY0445.jpg

As far as clearing the lower ball joint, Try sliding the spindle into place and see if that doesn't help. Every dana 44 I do always seems like the shaft isn't gonna clear the lower joint but when you put the spindle on it centers everything up.

The upper ball joint should have come with a small cap to screw into the grease fitting hole after you fill it with grease.

To get the upper joint tight try putting your jack under the lower joint and jack straight up so that it presses the taper into place. Of if you have the tool get the lower joint tight and tighten the upper adjuster down.

As far as clearing the lower ball joint, Try sliding the spindle into place and see if that doesn't help. Every dana 44 I do always seems like the shaft isn't gonna clear the lower joint but when you put the spindle on it centers everything up.
The upper ball joint should have come with a small cap to screw into the grease fitting hole after you fill it with grease.
To get the upper joint tight try putting your jack under the lower joint and jack straight up so that it presses the taper into place. Of if you have the tool get the lower joint tight and tighten the upper adjuster down.

you need this socket to adjust the upper ball joint adjuster sleeve down
ball_joint_adjuster_tool.jpg

ECGS has them in the showroom but they are not on the website

ok so i adjusted the upper ball joint to work correctly. But even after i took the grease fitting out and put the spindle on the axle still doesnt clear the ball joint. I think im going to get a couple threads machined off the ball joint and that should do the trick. But if there is an easier way of doing this let me know cause im all about saving money

Take the knuckle off and put the nut on as far as it will thread down. Then use a grinder to shorten the end of the stud a thread or two. Then unscrew the nut, it'll clean the threads as it comes off.

Either should work fine. I'd use a flap disc if it were me. Just try not to get it too hot. Do a little at a time.

View attachment 40548

Like Chris said, there is a cap for the upper balljoint. it looks like you didn't put the snap ring on your upper balljoint the goes in the gap between the knuckle and the bottom portion of the ball joint. you definitely need those on there. you don't want your knuckle coming loose going down the road.

the threads on that bottom balljoint do look pretty tall. what did you torque the upper and lower to?? I usually put a jack under the knuckle and torque the bottom to 60lb., then the top (using the adjuster) to 50lb., then bottom 140lb. and top to 80lb.

100 is close enough. i would definitely get a couple snap rings for the top and bottom balljoints. if you need some, i've got some from old knuckles if you're ever in the matthews area.

here's how my hp44 looked with the chevy knuckles installed. might help you to see an image. i do better with visuals.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_jeep_20build_202010_DSCN1015.jpg

Todays progress:
clearance issue fixed
SANY0452.jpg
left side outer reassembled, i started the right but it started pouring rain so when it clears up I'll get it done.
SANY0451.jpg
SANY0453.jpg
no more pictures for now i broke the camera :shaking:

thanks man and i hope to make it to some NOAS meets when i finish it. But ive seen your frontier on youtube and i gotta say, its one beast of a truck man!

Finally got the back lifted but the trucks still has a squat but after the front leafs sit for a little bit i think it will level its self. I thought she was ginna be alot taller but i actually like the how it came out. All in all its arou 12-13" lift. Now i NEED some 37s or 38s, im bout to go up to galloways to seewhat kind of deal lester can get me. Still got to have steering finished and my brakes bled, i wanna get this done before Friday but we will see what comes up.
Shackle Angles, kinda harsh.
DSC03365.jpg
DSC03366.jpg
kinda level.I need body guards haha
DSC03351.jpg
DSC03354.jpg
DSC03356.jpg

yea i have to keep it, basicly, because my bumpers and rock sliders wouldnt fit if i took it off so it stays on for now, until i go exo-cage and flat bed. but im start looking into rear spring options but im not going to spend alot of money because eventually its gonna be a 14 bolt with a 4 link.

yea i have to keep it, basicly, because my bumpers and rock sliders wouldnt fit if i took it off so it stays on for now, until i go exo-cage and flat bed. but im start looking into rear spring options but im not going to spend alot of money because eventually its gonna be a 14 bolt with a 4 link.

wow this things gonna be a monster then! right now im looking into 1/4 ellipticals and 1-links for my 720, but im only planning on 1/2tons and 37s.

got my steering done just gotta finish painting and bolt it up. then its calipers, bleed the brakes, and shocks.
DSC03371.jpg

Back