Housing market trash

Gotta remember, tax value going up isn't the issue, in a perfect world the tax rate will decrease a proportionate amount to keep revenue neutral.

Obviously the greedy commisioners won't allow this to happen most likely, but it's possible and it's a battle worth fighting
Has that ever happened in the history of municipal taxes?

Has that ever happened in the history of municipal taxes?
Yes. Last year Watauga county reappraised everything. And lowered the tax rate. My house was appraised 55% higher than the previous tax value. I appealed, and the appraisal was lowered to 17% higher than it had been. I'm okay with that, and as a result of the lowered tax rate, my property taxes went down by about 7%.

Last edited:
It's as simple as a trip to the tax assessor office and filing a dispute.

Had to do it for my property last month
Resolution reached yet? How did it work out?

Ours went up like 60%, but I think its probably about right, and I'm concerned that if I appeal it, it might go up more.

Resolution reached yet? How did it work out?

Ours went up like 60%, but I think its probably about right, and I'm concerned that if I appeal it, it might go up more.
I filled out a dispute form. Lady at the tax office was really helpful.

Then they assign you an agent

The next week I got a call and had to email them a copy of my purchase contract. He SAID I may have to provide comps but was cool and just adjusted it back to what it was last year with no fuss

Yes. Last year Watauga county reappraised everything. And lowered the tax rate. My house was appraised 55% higher than the previous tax value. I appealed, and the appraisal was lowered to 17% higher than it had been. I'm okay with that, and as a result of the lowered tax rate, my property takes went down by about 7%.
Yes, this is exactly how it works in wake county
Interesting. And... refreshing to hear.
So I'm curious, does that mean if you look back over say a 20 year history, the mean tax rate has actually been flat instead of increasing? Or even gone down?

EDIT - I just dug and found the rates for our county for the last 10 years. Our county tax rate has not changed (altghough the allocation between general and "special projects" has). But for all 3 of the incorporated towns with their own tax district, one has not changed at all, one has steadily decreased 4 time, and one has decreased, then gone up slightly, then gone back down slightly. The difference being very marginal.

Last edited:
Who came up with this system?! Such morons. Why does it matter how much my house MIGHT be worth when selling (I'm not) when it comes to paying taxes for roads and schools? Everyone should pay the same, or at least a few tiers. My neighbor in a $200k house uses the roads and schools more than me in a $300k house. Why are we taxed on unrealized gains? Just make every single person pay taxes

I filled out a dispute form. Lady at the tax office was really helpful.

Then they assign you an agent

The next week I got a call and had to email them a copy of my purchase contract. He SAID I may have to provide comps but was cool and just adjusted it back to what it was last year with no fuss

I just filled out my appeal the other night and got an email back from the county asking me to submit an appraisal. Thanks but no thanks. The option I checked on their appeal form was an appeal based on construction costs...not an appraisal. I ain't falling for that bait and switch!

"I am hopeful that you will provide the appraisal to ensure that the taxable value is as accurately expressed as possible. Please know that we want to ensure that you are not overvalued; we are just being diligent about being accurate." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have an appraisal from my Refi in fall 2020. Wonder if that would be good, or if they would say its not recent enough?

Edit: Hmm, I have one from November 2019 that is way lower. Seems worth a shot :D

Why are we taxed on unrealized gains? Just make every single person pay taxes
And how does that actually work in practice? How do you get that $$?
Plus you might want to do the math on what that would cost the average person. I'm quite certain your cost would go up, since most of the money comes from people with high value estates.

I have an appraisal from my Refi in fall 2020. Wonder if that would be good, or if they would say its not recent enough?

Edit: Hmm, I have one from November 2019 that is way lower. Seems worth a shot :D
In Catawba, the reassessment could include appraisals from the last 3 years, since they do it every 4.

That’s actually what I plan on using…plus Zillow just sent an updated ‘estimated value’ which is pretty damn close to that appraisal.

And how does that actually work in practice? How do you get that $$?
Plus you might want to do the math on what that would cost the average person. I'm quite certain your cost would go up, since most of the money comes from people with high value estates.
How do any taxes work in practice? We are threatened with guns and jail time. So we pay. If everyone paid, then the people that pay now wouldn't have to pay as much. My taxes would/could be decreased. In no way does it make any type of sense to tax people that live side by side a different amount, just because they have a nicer kitchen or bathroom in their house.

How do any taxes work in practice? We are threatened with guns and jail time. So we pay. If everyone paid, then the people that pay now wouldn't have to pay as much. My taxes would/could be decreased. In no way does it make any type of sense to tax people that live side by side a different amount, just because they have a nicer kitchen or bathroom in their house.
Add in the fact that 99% of the time there is a very inverse relationship between home value and $ worth of public services (county tax wise) consumed. The vast majority of our fire calls are at dumps. Nevermind the fact that poor folks always seem to be able to have 500 kids that need to be brought up through the school system.

I meant practically.
Property taxes are easy for the county to assess and levy. They have your address, they have your name, they have a thing they can go after if you don't pay. And, believe it or not, everybody has a place to live, so it trickles down to everyone (yes, people who rent also pay property tax, just not directly).
If you don't want to be charged based on your property, then what are you charged on? Income? Well that only works if (1) everyone has income and (2) the City knows what it is.

You do realize that pretty much everybody pays property tax now, right? Much more than pay income tax.

Add in the fact that 99% of the time there is a very inverse relationship between home value and $ worth of public services (county tax wise) consumed. The vast majority of our fire calls are at dumps. Nevermind the fact that poor folks always seem to be able to have 500 kids that need to be brought up through the school system.
Municipal taxation isn't about paying based on the percentage of service you receive. Anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. It's based on the notion that those who have more can afford to pay more. Which for those who care is also the biblical way and probably why we have the system we do.
We can debate all day whether this is fair and I think most of us agree it's not, but the truth is that you need some kind of system that is actually feasible and can be enforced. Sure it would be great if everything was based on how much you use, but at that point we're talking about everything just being fee for service that is run at a group level.
And we all know that those dumps with 500 kids would never be able to contribute a proportional amount, so then what do you do?

Last edited:
Municipal taxation isn't about paying based on the percentage of service you receive. Anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. It's based on the notion that those who have more can afford to pay more. Which for those who care is also the biblical way and probably why we have the system we do.
We can debate all day whether this is fair and I think most of us agree it's not, but the truth is that you need some kind of system that is actually feasible and can be enforced. Sure it would be great if everything was based on how much you use, but at that point we're talking about everything just being fee for service that is run at a group level.
And we all know that those dumps with 500 kids would never be able to contribute a proportional amount, so then what do you do?
No deductions from state income taxes. You make an income, you pay, at least something. That's fair, right? No freeloaders.
No child deductions. In fact, you should pay MORE taxes if you have kids until they are out of school or you prove you are paying for private school or home school...then deduct.
Enact higher sales taxes...small % to emergency services
My city water bill has all types of taxes and fees already on it....for something?
Enact higher gas taxes...for roads and emergency services and infrastructure.....pay to play
I already pay hundreds/thousands to register a car and property tax on that too.....what a crock. what if i don't drive it but 100 miles a year? I'm not destroying the roads...why do I have to pay? Why does it matter what its worth when it comes to road repairs?
Don't we have an insane hotel and entertainment taxes too? What is that for?
City parking lots can be pay to park
We have the lottery for schools, right?
On and on

Don't tax me on something I bought 30 years ago with after tax money. Based on some arbitrary unrealized 'gain'. Single person in a $300k house in no way should pay more than a family in a $250k house next door,

And do you want the real truthful answer to your last question?

No deductions from state income taxes. You make an income, you pay, at least something. That's fair, right? No freeloaders.
No child deductions. In fact, you should pay MORE taxes if you have kids until they are out of school or you prove you are paying for private school or home school...then deduct.
Enact higher sales taxes...small % to emergency services
My city water bill has all types of taxes and fees already on it....for something?
Enact higher gas taxes...for roads and emergency services and infrastructure.....pay to play
I already pay hundreds/thousands to register a car and property tax on that too.....what a crock. what if i don't drive it but 100 miles a year? I'm not destroying the roads...why do I have to pay? Why does it matter what its worth when it comes to road repairs?
Don't we have an insane hotel and entertainment taxes too? What is that for?
City parking lots can be pay to park
We have the lottery for schools, right?
On and on
sounds great.
And 100% impractical.
Especially paying more for kids.
We've been through this impending population crisis problem. Do you just not understand the implications of biasing people to not have kids? Who are the workers in 20 years?

Better question. Can you find 1 country in the world with this kind of tax system that is also a great place to live - where you'd want to be?
Single person in a $300k house in no way should pay more than a family in a $250k house next door,
Sounds to me liek you need to get busy and have some kids so you can get a better deal for your money. :D

Last edited:
There is no population crisis. Anything like that will take decades to ever become a thing, if it ever does. We can prepare, if we are not idiots and morons and take the time to prepare. An ever increasing world / USA population is not the answer nor sustainable.

So rethinking the broken and corrupt and unfair property tax system would make Raleigh a worse place to live? Newsflash...Raleigh has gone down the drain already.

I just say no freeloaders and more pay to play.

There is no population crisis. Anything like that will take decades to ever become a thing, if it ever does.
Oh yeah, lets just ignore that until we're all fucked. Great idea! I'm sorry you find the math on this so hard.

Back