How to get drivers license for pulling trailer over 10k?

thecarman

I have a 14k gooseneck trailer (stamped for 14k), so that means I need something above the normal class C drivers license. I need class A, right?

I wanted to see if anyone else has experience getting this license. I think Rich said he gave up trying to get it because the DMV sucked. I just want to get everything lined up, and know all the details, including the things that the DMV screws up.

Also, it is my understanding that since I do not tow commercially, all I need is the license, no log books, health check, etc. Is this right?

Thanks!!!

(And yes, my tow rig is plated for enough weight to cover truck and loaded trailer)

I do believe your trailer will put you into the class A range for sure. Looking at NCGS 20-4.01(2a) you would fall under section b "Has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds and includes as part of the combination a towed unit that has a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

Time to build a toter home and license it as an RV. :)

Dig a lot on the DMV site _and_ the federal motor carrier safety site (http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/).

I was recently frustrated by an exemption for the medical requirement (I have CDL w/P for church and Scout bus). Finally found it on the fmcsa site, and best of all, they have plain-english interpretations of many of the regs. (For the record, medical is NOT required for that. If it affects anyone here and you want a link that proves it, PM me.)

NC follows the fmcsa rules and regulations.

Question 3: Does part 383 apply to drivers of recreational vehicles?

Guidance: No, if the vehicle is used strictly for non-business purposes.

Question 9: May a State require persons operating recreational vehicles or other CMVs used by family members for non-business purposes to have a CDL?

Guidance: Yes. States may extend the CDL requirements to recreational vehicles.

You should be good to go. Make sure the trailer reg. is current (and with you), there is a VIN tag on the trailer stating the capacity, and your vehicle is fully current, you should have no problems.

One of the above got me every dang time.

Time to build a toter home and license it as an RV. :)

Dig a lot on the DMV site _and_ the federal motor carrier safety site (http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/).

I was recently frustrated by an exemption for the medical requirement (I have CDL w/P for church and Scout bus). Finally found it on the fmcsa site, and best of all, they have plain-english interpretations of many of the regs. (For the record, medical is NOT required for that. If it affects anyone here and you want a link that proves it, PM me.)

NC follows the fmcsa rules and regulations.

I know a couple guys that bought a pair of Volvo's with sleepers to tow with. They are registered as private RV's. They pull a triple axle wedge that hold 3-4 rigs. They fella from NC has an endorsement to drive a bus. But the guy from PA just has regular license. Though he had to register the rig in another state because PA didn't recognize it as an RV because it used to be a road tractor. If it had came from the manufacturer as an RV it would have been okay.

My tow rig is just a plain old 1-ton 4x4 Chevy truck, so cannot be licensed/titled as an RV. If we need to have a discussion about RVs, let's take it to a separate thread. :)

u will need a dmv physical from a doctor .. then u can go get your permit. u will need to take the class A TEST with the trailer endorsement. then after u get your permit u can call the dmv and make a appointment to get your license, which will be a road test and a pre trip inspection. thats what i had to do to get my cdls

Richard its not that big a deal. No you don't need a physical and it doesn't cost big bucks. What you are getting is a Class A non-CDL license.

First you go and take the exam. You need to study the same stuff the commercial drivers study. They'll even ask you about air brakes. The exam is taken on the computer. Download the info from the NC DMV site and study it.

Second you will have to schedule a time to get the driving test done. You will need a truck with a trailer. They may or may not ask you how it got there. They didn't with me. They are supposed to take you on an extended driving test to include the highway, so watch your lane changes, etc.

Study up on what you are getting. Some of the DMV folks will not know what you are talking about. Be patient and persistent. Only one guy in the DMV office where I went knew what I was talking about. The lady that took me on my driving test didn't do the extended, but the regular test with a trailer tagging along. I did the computer test one day, then the driving test another day. Now that I think about it, I didn't schedule it but I had to come in earlier in the day or something like that. PM me if you need and we can chat on the phone.

If you can find the link, I'd appreciate it. My license expires next year, and I'd rather not have to deal with the DOT physical.

Here's the info as I sent it to our Scout leaders at the church:

§391.68 of the motor vehicle safety regulations exempts nonbusiness
passenger carriers from the medical requirement in part (d).

The NC dmv has a form that I will try and get a copy of that you have to
fill out to get the exemption. It lists about five items, I think the
first one is fire apparatus, then ambulances, etc. The last exemption
choice on the form only says something like "any other use falling under
§391.68".

Here is the text of §391.68

***begin quote***

§391.68 Private motor carrier of passengers (nonbusiness).

The following rules in this part do not apply to a private motor carrier of
passengers (nonbusiness) and its drivers:

(a) Section §391.11(b)(1), (b)(6), and (b)(8) (relating to general
qualifications of drivers).

(b) Subpart C (relating to disclosure of, investigation into, and inquiries
about the background, character, and driving record of, drivers);

(c) So much of §§391.41 and §391.45 as require a driver to be medically
examined and to have a medical examiner's certificate on his/her person;
and

(d) Subpart F (relating to maintenance of files and records).

[60 FR 38746, July 28, 1995; 63 FR 33278, June 18, 1998].

***end quote***

Here is a .pdf of a plain-english document from FMCSA that clarifies the
exemption.

Look at the definition of non-business PMCP's on page one. Also see Q&A #2
at the bottom of page 3.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/español/pdfs/mc_of_Pass.pdf

NC Mog is correct. If your trailer has a GVWR of 10,001 # or more you DO need a non commercial class A which does not require a DMV physical. The test is the same ole BS with trick questions but if you do a quick read through the book you should have no problem. IIRC Ms Battle here in Sanford rode with me for the road test. Also it does not matter if you are pulling commercially or not it is the GVWR on the trailer. A class C is not good enough even if the trailer is empty. I learned the hard way

class "A" classified (i think that was what they called it) would be a good idea. Like everyone has said...dont worry about the CDL part. That is only if you are pulling "for hire"

There is a book on line that you can download...it was a 25 question test and a drive around the block when i got mine. Mine wasnt $100. Dont remember exact price...mainly because i got reinbursed by the firedept.:driver:

Seth

mine was $100 but i did get the cdls .. had to have them for my job.. probally be alot cheaper if u go non cdl

Yeah, CDL is fawking expensive. Mine was about $100 the last time I renewed, too. You've gotta pay like $5 per endorsement, per year, or something to that effect, plus the license fee per year... it added up quick.

Thanks for the link, Kaiser. I'll hang on to that.

Ahh good to know... that seams interesting. I would think and excavator would weigh well over 5 tons.
I say that b/c a friend of mine has a grading company and hauls his excavator on the behind his dump truck with a B class

Class A A combination of vehicles that is exempt from CDL requirements when the towed unit has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more. Your friend with the dump truck only has a class B that is good for the truck and a trailer with a 10,000 pound or less. When the trailer has a 10,001 pound or more GVWR with out air brakes that is when you need a class A non CDL liscense. turn over your liscense and read the top

I hate to resurrect an old thread but, I was looking at it and got confused and worried. Here's my set up: 07 Chevy Silverado Classic 2500 HD Dmax/Alli 4x4. I have a weighted tag rated at 20,000 lbs (I posted about the tag in the weighted tag thread but now, I posted here since it seems more appropriate a thread for license inquiries). Do I need to get an A class license now, or only when I get the 12,000 lb rated trailer I intend to get (or whatever rating the trailer may turn out to be, at any rate, in excess of 10,000 lbs)? Before that trailer, is there any need for me to get a special license in order to tow below 10K say, 8K, or will my weighted tag by its mere presence necessitate an A class license? What all is needed to get an A license and, does it have any stricter of rules than a normal C license? Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate any info y'all can provide, thank you!

As long as your trailer does not have a GVWR of over 10,000lbs, you do not need a class A. As long as your combined GVWR is not over 26,000 you do not need a CDL.

To get a class A, go to the drivers license place, take the 50 question written test, then take the driving test, then get your new license. The rules for having the class A are the same as a class C. Only when you get a CDL does the strictness of the rules change.

How hard is the driving test? I'm trying to decide if I should take my crew-cab and 32-foot goose, or try to borrow a smaller trailer.

Also know that, if you go for your CDL the BAC allowable level is about 1/2 the allowable for non CDL. Even if you get pulled driving your car, your BAC has to be under the CDL limit.

Back