How to get drivers license for pulling trailer over 10k?

I hate to resurrect an old thread but, I was looking at it and got confused and worried. Here's my set up: 07 Chevy Silverado Classic 2500 HD Dmax/Alli 4x4. I have a weighted tag rated at 20,000 lbs (I posted about the tag in the weighted tag thread but now, I posted here since it seems more appropriate a thread for license inquiries). Do I need to get an A class license now, or only when I get the 12,000 lb rated trailer I intend to get (or whatever rating the trailer may turn out to be, at any rate, in excess of 10,000 lbs)? Before that trailer, is there any need for me to get a special license in order to tow below 10K say, 8K, or will my weighted tag by its mere presence necessitate an A class license? What all is needed to get an A license and, does it have any stricter of rules than a normal C license? Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate any info y'all can provide, thank you!
The local DMV guy here told me weighted tags are not needed for towing personal recreational vehicles or boats...what are you going to tow? Let the debating begin.

Not only do the BAC Levels change when a CDL is in use but points can/do double in most cases. PoPo could clear the muddy waters on this as I finished BLET but never got a job.:shaking:

BIGWOODY,
All I am going to be towing is my/my friends' vehicles, no commercial. The weighted tag is due to gross weight, and the desire to tow a pretty heavy (but not SUPER heavy) trailer. Probably going to be under 10,000 lbs but, just in case, I got the tag weighted to a 12,000 lb trailer limit (GCW: 20,000 lb). I guess I,ll have to get a class A for a 12,000 lb trailer but no CDL since my GCW would be less than 26,000 lb. I just wanted to know if I am required to get a class A due to my weight rating being 20,000 lb (thus, an assumed trailer weight in excess of 10K) or, if I am good with my class C until such time as I tow a trailer heavier than 10,000 lbs? Until then, I will be towing approx. 8K and below. Thanks!

How hard is the driving test? I'm trying to decide if I should take my crew-cab and 32-foot goose, or try to borrow a smaller trailer.

I got a class B CDL (to drive a church bus)...and will just tell you my experience...

after the written, the "driving test" was three parts:

1. pre-trip inspection
2. parking lot maneuvers
3. road test

the pre-trip inspection was just to check for fluids, lights, etc...

the park lot maneuvers was driving forward and stopping the front of the vehicle even with some cones (VERY easy in a flat nose bus), then backing at an angle and the rear had to land in a 2-ft strip (missed it by about 2 feet)...also had to demonstrate use of air brakes (how to check, make them fail, etc...but you shouldn't need this)...

the road test was just a general ride around the block, and a short trip up the interstate...

you have to take a vehicle (or combo of vehicles) that meet the needs of the test you're taking...as in you must have a trailer rated over 10,000 at the test...although, it doesn't have to be the actual trailer you'll be hauling...

if you have any skill at maneuvering your setup, I'd just take it with you...it ain't that tough...

Greg

You don't need the Class A until you tow a trailer >10k. Once you have the trailer, you'll need the uprated license even if the trailer is empty. Till then, the Class C is fine.

The test is the CDL test. The driving portion is supposed to be an extended test with surface streets and interstate. The lady that rode with me just had me do the standard test just with the trailer. I'd use the trailer I was most comfortable pulling for the test. A shorter trailer may have an advantage, or not. Just make sure its >10k in capacity.

I had the problem w/ nobody at the DMV knowing what the hell I was talking about when I got my trailer about 2 years ago (14k gross), they kept wanting me to get my CDL. I finally said screw it and haven't worried about it since. My trailer doesn't really look as heavy duty as it is, its a lowdeck GN, dual axle, single wheels. If I ever get the time I may try again.

are rv's exempt or no?
I'd say RV's are not exempt.

I had the same issue with them not knowing. The key is to read the rules regarding this type of license and knowing it thoroughly. Its all spelled out in Chapter 1 of the Driver's Handbook. I think I went to the office off of Avent Ferry.

I was told to to worry about a class A drivers license unless I was using the trailer for business. For personal use you can tow a trailer stamped 14K with your current license. Has anyone else heard this?

I was told to to worry about a class A drivers license unless I was using the trailer for business. For personal use you can tow a trailer stamped 14K with your current license. Has anyone else heard this?
Yep and a guy with the last name of Nelson told me no need to pay taxes or stop smoking pot:confused:
I wish people would let the names out of the people giving out the bad info......

The thing about not needing the class A if not for business is BS, plain and simple.

RV's are NOT exempt. From the DMV site:
"You do not need a CDL to drive recreational vehicles, military equipment, fire and/ or emergency equipment or certain farm vehicles. However, a classified license of the appropriate class is always required. "

Anything anyone you may have talked to at the DMV is bullshit if it's not ON PAPER. Rule #1.

You can in South Carolina.
The gentleman in the CDL division of our DMV, stated for SC, the magic number was 26,000lbs. It did not matter what weight the trailer was aslong as my GVW was under 26,000 (rig and trailer combined).
So my normal Class D drivers license for my state allows me to pull that amount. If I desire to go over that weight, I have two options, a CDL, or obtain a "F" classification on my license.
J.R.

(as copied from DMV website)

General Driver License Information
Driver License Classes
Regular (non-commercial) driver's licenses are issued in the following classes depending on the type and intended use of the vehicle. Click the following link if you are interested in Commercial Driver Licenses (CDL).

Class D
Passenger vehicles and all non-commercial vehicles that do not exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight

Class E
Non-commercial single unit vehicles that exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight

Class F
Non-commercial combination vehicles that exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight

Class G
Moped

Class M
Motorcycles

(again this is SC and not NC)

Good luck on getting it worked out..

Class As

I got my Class A,s about 6 yr back----------If I can pass it anyone can----But U will need to Study-------The Driving test is no big Deal------------ I have been stoped towing My Trail rig and after he saw I had class A,s everything was Find
David

I got my Class A,s about 6 yr back----------If I can pass it anyone can----But U will need to Study-------The Driving test is no big Deal------------ I have been stoped towing My Trail rig and after he saw I had class A,s everything was Find
David

Curious.. do you have a pic of your setup .. I would like to see what it looks like, seeing that you got pulled over with it..

Pics

Here are a few Pics of My Truck and Trailer-----1st pic dont have all the Straps on yet
ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m287_toyotadad_100_1160.jpg

ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m287_toyotadad_100_1017.jpg

Back