Hurricane Helene

I know different areas have different needs but some places dont want clothes.I know in Spruce Pine they would take them but werent asking for them.The halls at Deyton primary school was lined w trash bags full of unsorted clothes.They dont have the help to sort clothes by size or gender and it was taking up space they could use for other things.
My work started a winter clothes drive specifically last week. We've already brought 2 loads up the mountain. I know one went Avery county, not sure about the other.
The clothes sorting dilemma is a hard one. Clothes are very specific and do have to be sorted and kept organized for people to be able to find what they need. At this point it would be nice if the retailers would offer boxes of 10 XXL sweat shirts clearly marked on the outside of the package and also individually marked on each. Set the sales up as a donation to a 501C and have specific rescues with wish lists that have caps on each item so they aren't inundated with too many of the same things. Then there could be an area for just this size of items in easily stackable boxes or totes. Then people could come get what they need in new clothes in a sealed pouch. It would also allow rescuers to be able to easily grab stuff for the people that they come into contact with and take them back some clean new clothes.
I saw this online and think its a good idea too.
View attachment 426306

Along those lines, I know it takes more work, but if doing a clothes drive, I would try to sort and package the clothes by size, type, gender, so that the folks up there do not have to. It is likely easier to get those resources down the mtn, vs trying to get them up there, with so much else going on.

They are headed to Florida. We put tires on 2 of their trucks and that's what they were saying
Won’t make it there from the raggedy ass trucks I seen pulling them. One was a 99/04 gasser f250 with a rough looking character driving it. Truck looked like it was about to fall apart. I’m assuming contract drivers probably making a killing

There’s this cool geological feature called the Eastern Continental Divide :D . Water on the east side runs east, water on the west side runs west. Interesting to look at the map and compare to the flooding and where things went.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm very familiar with that concept. The New River starts around Blowing Rock and is on the west side of the Eastern Continental Divide, but water runs east for like 70 miles before heading north, and then eventually west and south.
1729093953986.png

Just seems like a bit of an anomaly and I thought it was interesting. I assumed it just went on down and out to the south and east somewhere near Wilkesboro, but I was definitely not correct.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm very familiar with that concept. The New River starts around Blowing Rock and is on the west side of the Eastern Continental Divide, but water runs east for like 70 miles before heading north, and then eventually west and south.
View attachment 426316

Just seems like a bit of an anomaly and I thought it was interesting. I assumed it just went on down and out to the south and east somewhere near Wilkesboro, but I was definitely not correct.
agreed, I looked it up the other day because I was surprised and had to follow it to the headwaters. not what I expected without putting thought to it. :D

Won’t make it there from the raggedy ass trucks I seen pulling them. One was a 99/04 gasser f250 with a rough looking character driving it. Truck looked like it was about to fall apart. I’m assuming contract drivers probably making a killing
back during katrina I got offered a job pulling fema trailer from a holding yard (in NO) to the site they were goin.had to move a min # per day,cant remember how many now.I would be working for someone who had the deal w FEMA.It was gonna be two weeks before I saw any $$ and I didnt completely trust the guy to pay me.I figured he'd get two weeks of free work outta me and tell me to kick rocks.I never went.

Yep. And only gonna get worse. I wanna know why coming back east this weekend I seen tons of fema like campers leaving.

my side project Buzzfish_Clothing can donate some long sleeve Ts and hooded sweatshirts to help with the cooler weather if you're headed back up the mountain....just let me know!

The lady weve been dealing w in spruce pine is a teacher and bus driver there and she says they are starting to worry about the mental strain this is having on the kids and was requesting some toys for them.She was wanting puzzles.games,and the like but I would think tablets would be a good ideal too.
We got hit hard in Black Mountain but we do have power and internet comes back and forth. As a board member of the babe Ruth league we first made sure all of the coaches and kids and familys were ok.

So blessed to say they are. Some have losses of property but no people.

So we have gathered extra gear for kids that need it and are hosting a day on the field with a bunch of ballgames, free food, games and supplies this Saturday. A lot of these kids best part of their day is their teammates and coaches encouraging them and giving praise.

I’m so glad we were able to get use of Montreat College field and put this on.

The children dealing with this break my heart. They need school, sports and interaction. Heck they just got out of the Covid nonsense and now this.

Things are gonna come to a head at some point.

Along those lines, I know it takes more work, but if doing a clothes drive, I would try to sort and package the clothes by size, type, gender, so that the folks up there do not have to. It is likely easier to get those resources down the mtn, vs trying to get them up there, with so much else going on.
This is what we did. It was GREATLY appreciated. We also packed the food in plastic totes setup for a family. That way it was easy to distribute.

Things are gonna come to a head at some point.
Reading that affirms why im glad I don't have Facebook, so much stupidity in those comments.

I prefer to discuss politics like God intended, on 4x4 forums in an echo chamber :laughing:

Last edited:
I have an extra woodstove If anyone knows someone that needs a a heat source for a large home. It is an old school blazeking in good shape. I also have a Mr Buddy to pass to those in need.

Many fire departments lost trucks, equipment, even firehouses. Other fire departments are stepping up and sending surplus equipment, older trucks, etc.

This is from Legeros Fire Line on FB:

Helene report. Donated apparatus to western NC and eastern TN, where a number of fire department lost apparatus and equipment. WNC Fire Pics has been tracking them. See their page for a bunch of shared postings. Here's a starter list:

Beaufort, NC
2008 Rosenbauer plus equipment to the NC State Firefighters' Association, for redistribution in WNC.
Beaufort Fire Department

Belleville, PA
Heavy rescue to South Side VFD in Erwin, TN
Belleville Fire Co.

Eden Fellowship, VFD, in Trout, LA
Tanker to Parrotsville VFD, TN
Eden Fellowship Volunteer Fire Department

Forbush FD, NC
Pumper to Hudlow, NC (Rutherford Co.)
Forbush Fire Department

Hepburn Township VFD, PA (top right)
2000 ALF pumper to Marshall, NC (Madison Co.)
Hepburn Township Volunteer Fire Company

Lemon Springs VFD in Sanford, NC
Pumper and equipment to Egypt-Ramseytown VFD, NC (Yancey Co.)
Lemon Springs Fire Department

Luray FD in VA
1997 Spartan Gladiator/RD Murray heavy rescue to Butler, TN
Luray Fire Department

Meadow VFD in Benson, NC
Brush truck to Lansing, NC (Ashe Co.)
Meadow Fire Department

Midway VFD in Virgilia, VA
Freightliner/E-One pumper and equipment to eastern TN.
Midway Volunteer Fire Department

Number 3 VFD in Cleveland County, NC
Pumper to Double Island VFD in Green Mountain, NC (Yancey Co.)
Number 3 VFD

Oxford Fire Company MD (bottom left)
Pumper and ambulance to eastern TN
Oxford Fire Co.

Steele Creek FD in Charlotte, NC
Pumper to Egypt-Ramseytown VFD, NC (Yancey Co.)
Steele Creek Fire Department

Summers County, WV (top left)
Pumper to South Side VFD in Erwin, TN
Summers County Fire Department

Tilghman Island, MD (bottom right)
Pumper (and equipment) to Cocke County, TN
Tilghman Island Volunteer Fire Company

West Pelzer, SC
Rescue pumper to Marshall, NC (Madison Co.)
West Pelzer Fire Dept.

Many fire departments lost trucks, equipment, even firehouses. Other fire departments are stepping up and sending surplus equipment, older trucks, etc.

This is from Legeros Fire Line on FB:

Helene report. Donated apparatus to western NC and eastern TN, where a number of fire department lost apparatus and equipment. WNC Fire Pics has been tracking them. See their page for a bunch of shared postings. Here's a starter list:

Beaufort, NC
2008 Rosenbauer plus equipment to the NC State Firefighters' Association, for redistribution in WNC.
Beaufort Fire Department

Belleville, PA
Heavy rescue to South Side VFD in Erwin, TN
Belleville Fire Co.

Eden Fellowship, VFD, in Trout, LA
Tanker to Parrotsville VFD, TN
Eden Fellowship Volunteer Fire Department

Forbush FD, NC
Pumper to Hudlow, NC (Rutherford Co.)
Forbush Fire Department

Hepburn Township VFD, PA (top right)
2000 ALF pumper to Marshall, NC (Madison Co.)
Hepburn Township Volunteer Fire Company

Lemon Springs VFD in Sanford, NC
Pumper and equipment to Egypt-Ramseytown VFD, NC (Yancey Co.)
Lemon Springs Fire Department

Luray FD in VA
1997 Spartan Gladiator/RD Murray heavy rescue to Butler, TN
Luray Fire Department

Meadow VFD in Benson, NC
Brush truck to Lansing, NC (Ashe Co.)
Meadow Fire Department

Midway VFD in Virgilia, VA
Freightliner/E-One pumper and equipment to eastern TN.
Midway Volunteer Fire Department

Number 3 VFD in Cleveland County, NC
Pumper to Double Island VFD in Green Mountain, NC (Yancey Co.)
Number 3 VFD

Oxford Fire Company MD (bottom left)
Pumper and ambulance to eastern TN
Oxford Fire Co.

Steele Creek FD in Charlotte, NC
Pumper to Egypt-Ramseytown VFD, NC (Yancey Co.)
Steele Creek Fire Department

Summers County, WV (top left)
Pumper to South Side VFD in Erwin, TN
Summers County Fire Department

Tilghman Island, MD (bottom right)
Pumper (and equipment) to Cocke County, TN
Tilghman Island Volunteer Fire Company

West Pelzer, SC
Rescue pumper to Marshall, NC (Madison Co.)
West Pelzer Fire Dept.
We cooked burgers for lunch and apparently someone decided to cut onions in my office.

First I heard of this was today. I got a motor delivered and the guy was telling me about making trips back and forth to Marion to Baxter the last two weeks. Said they are cleaning and rebuilding motors as fast as they can. He it's unreal how much mud was inside that factory. Loads upon loads of motors chocked full of mud. Fortunately most of them didn't have power when they flooded so they can clean, bake and put new bearings in and turn them around in a few days. He said there are a lot more to do though.

Back