Hurricane Helene

Called my plumber buddy and told him I was looking for a second tote to plumb into my house and use a 110 pump. Showers, shitters and sinks.

It wasn’t 10 minutes later and he called to tell me he ran into a guy trying to unload some. Got two, one for my neighbor to have hygiene water (he’s got cancer is it sucks) and one for me to work towards the first hit shower in under 3 weeks.

IMG_2458.jpeg

My friend in spruce pine sent me this picture of his business last night. He lost some trucks (18 wheeler size) skid steer, forklift, and everything inside his building. One picture is of a random YouTube video I found of the aftermath that I posted earlier in this thread, the other is the one he sent me. He does seem like he is in a good place mentally and just thankful his family is okay. He echoed what has been said here. The people are pulling together both up there and also those of us bringing in goods and the government isn't doing much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241014-162536.png
    Screenshot_20241014-162536.png
    591.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20241014_162413.jpg
    IMG_20241014_162413.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 79
My friend in spruce pine sent me this picture of his business last night. He lost some trucks (18 wheeler size) skid steer, forklift, and everything inside his building. One picture is of a random YouTube video I found of the aftermath that I posted earlier in this thread, the other is the one he sent me. He does seem like he is in a good place mentally and just thankful his family is okay. He echoed what has been said here. The people are pulling together both up there and also those of us bringing in goods and the government isn't doing much.
1728938611939.png

(Asking for a friend)

His grandfather started that business, I'd say Chance is in his 50s maybe. Been around awhile. I'm not sure how much of the explosives side of things he was still in to. I know he did a lot of hauling, boom truck work, etc. if there is/was any dynamite left, I'm sure the water made it even more interesting 🤣

This is across the river looking back on his property....my wife is from Spruce Pine and we rode by there about a week ago.

20241004_144742.jpg

This is across the river looking back on his property....my wife is from Spruce Pine and we rode by there about a week ago.

View attachment 426217

Hope their house is okay. I honestly didn't know there was a river that close to him the few times I've been to his shop. If you happen to find half a CUCV truck and a 14bolt rear with springs, let me know. It's the last one I had to pick up from him and never got the chance. I suppose it's somewhere between there and the Gulf of Mexico...

Edited where the truck might be since @jeepinmatt is a better at geography than me🤣

Last edited:
Hope their house is okay. I honestly didn't know there was a river that close to him the few times I've been to his shop. If you happen to find half a CUCV truck and a 14bolt rear with springs, let me know. It's the last one I had to pick up from him and never got the chance. I suppose it's somewhere between there and Charleston...

That where his business was.....was his house near that?

That where his business was.....was his house near that?
I misread your original post, I thought your wife or inlaws had a house up where you took the picture. I was hoping that their house was okay.
My friend lives in bakersville and he was fortunate to only have trees down on some vehicles and on his house but he said he is blessed to still have his home. He said they are telling people in the lower part of the county it could be 5 months without power.

What do y'all think is going on here
“dispatchers were told a white male was holding an assault rifle and making comments about harming FEMA employees.”
And then they found him and arrested him.

I guess this first really cool morning had me thinking about the folks displaced. Especially the kids. I was thinking about doing an Amazon wish list? For things like buddy heater, hand warmer, toboggans. Also was noticing a lot of the kids were sent out where they could. But many will be coming home or have came back by now. Was also thinking of collecting things for them. One thing that popped up in my mind was the cheap android based kids tablets. Sure they aren’t the best things for kids, but can entertain them for hours and easily portable. A lot of folks are getting power and internet back. And for those still without could provide some solar chargers. Many of you all have already donated and I appreciate what y’all have done. Was just thinking this could drive up a bit more stuff. Was also thinking as I’m gonna do, if you have been thinking about buying a new chainsaw, shovels, any thing like that. You could donate your old one to go up there. Buy yourself that new one you want and it’s a win win for everyone. Even cell phones? Wonder how many folks lost theirs? We all have some old phones we upgraded from in the kitchen drawer.
Just let me know what yall think and I can try to put something together. I feel bad I’m going on vacation this week and can’t get up to help. But plan to go back next week. I’d also love for anyone willing to help me follow us up and help out where we can. Wish list would make it easier to click a button and send it straight here to be sent up I think.

Edit to say: I will personally try to hand deliver all items to the people in need directly. I don’t wanna drop stuff off to be stored or snagged by people who don’t really need.

Last edited:
I guess this first really cool morning had me thinking about the folks displaced. Especially the kids. I was thinking about doing an Amazon wish list? For things like buddy heater, hand warmer, toboggans. Also was noticing a lot of the kids were sent out where they could. But many will be coming home or have came back by now. Was also thinking of collecting things for them. One thing that popped up in my mind was the cheap android based kids tablets. Sure they aren’t the best things for kids, but can entertain them for hours and easily portable. A lot of folks are getting power and internet back. And for those still without could provide some solar chargers. Many of you all have already donated and I appreciate what y’all have done. Was just thinking this could drive up a bit more stuff. Was also thinking as I’m gonna do, if you have been thinking about buying a new chainsaw, shovels, any thing like that. You could donate your old one to go up there. Buy yourself that new one you want and it’s a win win for everyone. Even cell phones? Wonder how many folks lost theirs? We all have some old phones we upgraded from in the kitchen drawer.
Just let me know what yall think and I can try to put something together. I feel bad I’m going on vacation this week and can’t get up to help. But plan to go back next week. I’d also love for anyone willing to help me follow us up and help out where we can. Wish list would make it easier to click a button and send it straight here to be sent up I think.
My work started a winter clothes drive specifically last week. We've already brought 2 loads up the mountain. I know one went Avery county, not sure about the other.

I would guess...and this is a wild tin foil hat guess..... that these "inspections" were thinly veiled as snooping where they didn't need to be, and on property that was clearly marked "FAFO" to which they did. Now it's being painted as some random white dude out there "hunting" FEMA workers and not what it ACTUALLY was; ATF recon using disaster as an excuse to suspend the 4th amendment and pissed off the wrong homeowner

Based on this article? You can't throw threats out with out expecting consequences. If he had his mouth shut and walking around with a firearm, that would be different. (Please note, he did not shoot/assault anyone with his rifle, therefore it's just a rifle :D )

Now... how much of this is true or accurate? Are there Militia riding around? Are people getting scarred and annoyed? Not a good combo.

Anyone else have that little feeling that makes the hairs rise up that shits really starting to look dangerous? Economy, Inflation, Political turmoil both Domestic and International, throw some natural disasters on top of all that...

Please note, he did not shoot/assault anyone with his rifle, therefore it's just a rifle :D
Preach

Praise The Lord Applause GIF

Anyone else have that little feeling that makes the hairs rise up that shits really starting to look dangerous? Economy, Inflation, Political turmoil both Domestic and International, throw some natural disasters on top of all that...
Why do you think several of us.....I mean... I HEAR there are several folks that have an abundance of ammo and multiple mobility plans :laughing:

I heard on Rock92 this morning that is was just one random dude spouting off at some gas station.

The amount of bullshit conspiracy theories on social media is fucking disgusting. Assholes that have never stepped foot in these mountains making claims about the gov. Creating this storm to take the whatever minerals that want is just fucking stupid. All it has done is scare the people into believing that crap and yes that has led to groups of armed citizens thinking they need to defend there land for any outsiders.

If you wish to argue that the government did create this then yes they did by not believing in global warming or not controlling over development and over population. And all of that happened long ago.

The amount of bullshit conspiracy theories on social media is fucking disgusting. Assholes that have never stepped foot in these mountains making claims about the gov. Creating this storm to take the whatever minerals that want is just fucking stupid. All it has done is scare the people into believing that crap and yes that has led to groups of armed citizens thinking they need to defend there land for any outsiders.

If you wish to argue that the government did create this then yes they did by not believing in global warming or not controlling over development and over population. And all of that happened long ago.
Not to derail, but I remember as a kid hurricane season was a big thing. Haven’t seen very many over the last 20 years or so. Now they are coming back. Maybe just weather cycles. Talk to old timers and they always say the weather changes over the years. Back and forth. From cold to mild winters and etc. but I’m in no way saying there isn’t a warming issue. Nor did they make the storm. But I’d imagine if anyone will profit from it, it will be them. Rich people love taking advantage of bad situations

I would guess...and this is a wild tin foil hat guess..... that these "inspections" were thinly veiled as snooping where they didn't need to be, and on property that was clearly marked "FAFO" to which they did. Now it's being painted as some random white dude out there "hunting" FEMA workers and not what it ACTUALLY was; ATF recon using disaster as an excuse to suspend the 4th amendment and pissed off the wrong homeowner
Your tinfoil must've come from the same box as mine...

Back