Hurricane Helene

Downtown chimney rock pretty much wiped off the map
IMG_3081.png
IMG_3080.png

@jeepinmatt how's that creek er lake at your place
Thanks for checking in but we’re good here. A bunch of limbs and such down but nothing major. Creek is up to the top of the banks, but I’ve seen much worse. However, it’s not from down flow, it’s from backup form the South Fork River a mile away, and it’s gonna get worse overnight.

But I’m a bit worried about @ncpartsguy @Jeeper1093 and all the others around Boone. And everyone north and west of there too, all the way over to @Pless @Jody Treadway @Loganwayne and beyond. This is an absolutely unprecedented event. The pics and devastation I’m seeing in the Watauga county FB group is unreal. This is 321 right through Boone between Lowe’s and Walmart:

I’ve seen multiple reports of landslides taking houses with fatalities and critical injuries. And what looks like a foot of water going all over downtown King Street by Mast General Store. Plus Valle Crucis where the original Mast General is located is generally underwater and I bet 50% of the roads are complete washouts. 421 is completely gone north of Boone between Trade and Mtn City.
1727489429349.jpeg

105 west of Boone is screwed too. Mudslides and debris have 321 closed going up the mountain. It’s terrible, and that’s just what we know so far with most of the communications and power out.

NC105 between Boone and Seven Devils

1727490085145.png

1727490655776.png

And here’s NC105 heading down the hill from Boone to Valle Crucis near the concrete plant.
img_1_1727490818552.jpg

Last edited:
The hospital in Unicoi TN is completely under water and they had to air lift about 50 staff/patients off the roof of the building.I-26 To Asheville is closed in Unicoi due to flooding too.The Nolichucky river here is supposed to crest around lunch tommorow and it supposed to be highest is been in over a 100 years.We also lost a couple of bridges that go over the Nolichucky.
460894078_935266918635249_3637642078703812966_n.jpg

A big tree came down, and took out our power lines. The damn thing of it is the lines that got hit went up the hill beside us to an abandoned property, and should have been taken down, but they were too hard to get to with the culvert on that property washes out. Now we have to drive through another vacant lot to get out since the road had cables across it.

I am so glad I took 81 to Virginia on way home from Tennessee today

Winds were crazy and fancy gap was down to 20mph. But we made it home
yeah it was pretty rough.We were goin up the gap about 2 o'clock today.

Its been pretty rough here in Easley SC. I was supposed to go up to Maggie Valley this weekend for the c10 show.
wonder how those folks are gettin home??

The road my mother grew up on in independence Va has washed out and it's never washed out 😳
We ran 460 from Bluefield WV to Bristol VA,lots of flooding and water over the roads there too.

View attachment 425202

And here’s NC105 heading down the hill from Boone to Valle Crucis near the concrete plant.
View attachment 425204

Aka Rockcrusher Hill…living up to its nickname. We have some friends pretty much stuck in their cabin out in Foscoe. He’s cutting his way down the mountain again in the morning and a neighbor is cutting his way up. Typical private community where most people are Floridiots, not weekenders like they are.

It got bad enough for a while in our area that we were ordered to shelter in place and not leave quarters unless there was an immediate threat to life for a while and DOT suspended all operations as well.

Just got an alert on my phone that the dam had failed and for anyone within two miles of the river to get out now.

Just got an alert on my phone that the dam had failed and for anyone within two miles of the river to get out now.
Which dam? Waterville/Newport?

Edit: I assume it’s the Nolichucky.

Last edited:

An entire house floating down the creek. Don’t know the exact location but this is the creek on a normal day:
1727498725606.png

Video:

Which dam? Waterville/Newport?

Edit: I assume it’s the Nolichucky.

Yeah my bad it was the Nolichucky. The one in Newport failed earlier today I think.

It's bad in Boone for sure. 421 is closed between Boone and Vilas with at least one section of road gone. 105 south is closedjust out of town. At least 2 campgrounds are completely gone. Several houses have been swept off the foundation. Hopefully no lives lost but I find that hard to believe at this point. This is definitely one for the record books.
Everyone be safe and help your neighbors!!

Back