Hurricane Helene

But I’m a bit worried about @ncpartsguy @Jeeper1093 and all the others around Boone. And everyone north and west of there too, all the way over to @Pless @Jody Treadway @Loganwayne and beyond. This is an absolutely unprecedented event. The pics and devastation I’m seeing in the Watauga county FB group is unreal. This is 321 right through Boone between Lowe’s and Walmart:

Just saw a post from Jody on the book of faces, so he's good! Hope our other members in the area are alright.

Just got contact from the wife’s cousin. They are north of Boone off of Howard’s creek road. Everyone is fine but the property is FUBAR. This is the entrance to a neighborhood with 20+ houses
IMG_7216.jpeg

IMG_7223.jpeg

He was not home when the worst flooding hit yesterday, so thankfully his truck is on the other side. He said there was a house literally in the road when he was trying to get back.

They also had a historic cabin on their property that someone lived in. Keyword had. Taken out by a landslide. Nothing left but the chimney.
IMG_7220.jpeg

Anybody up that way know if 321 out of Boone is passable? My daughter lives there with her fiancé and I just wanted to see if they can get out, or if I can get to them if need be. They’re doing ok right now. Just planning.

Just got off a disaster response power call…now the fun starts.

Apparently Duke has already identified failed pole mount transformers - with many more yet to be identified - that total a deficit of 300+ more than they have in inventory and in network available.

Right now they believe some customers may be looking at 3+weeks before power is restored…and if they can’t source XFMRs say it could be 16-20 weeks.

I suspect the utility network will pool resources and figure that out…but as of right now there doesn’t appear to be an apparent solution

Is there source for damage reports as they roll in?

I’ve been out of contact with my parents since yesterday morning. I’m certain they are ok, but I’d like to know just how cut off they are.

They are just outside of Burnsville, up on a mountain. With the way their house is positioned, they are not at risk of flooding or landslide. I’m sure their power is out and all communications are down. Just would like to hear from them.

I know the community they live in most certainly has trees down and landslides. Just curious and wonder how long until help.

Just got off a disaster response power call…now the fun starts.

Apparently Duke has already identified failed pole mount transformers - with many more yet to be identified - that total a deficit of 300+ more than they have in inventory and in network available.

Right now they believe some customers may be looking at 3+weeks before power is restored…and if they can’t source XFMRs say it could be 16-20 weeks.

I suspect the utility network will pool resources and figure that out…but as of right now there doesn’t appear to be an apparent solution
That's not surprising unfortunately. My power company guy said we've been upside down on transformers for 5+ yrs.

Back