I hate auto parts chain stores

Im just glad my local store is pretty good. They know me, and if they are busy i just go to an empty computer and look up what i need. they also have some older guys that work there that know all kinds of stuff that are just off the wall to me. i took in an air filter for my gray market tractor, before i set it down he said that cross references to a this tractor and its on the forth rack half way down top self. or when replacing plugs in my boat they recommended a different plug then i wanted saying the older motors ran better with this one, and it was right it ran better on it.

Im just glad my local store is pretty good. They know me, and if they are busy i just go to an empty computer and look up what i need. they also have some older guys that work there that know all kinds of stuff that are just off the wall to me. i took in an air filter for my gray market tractor, before i set it down he said that cross references to a this tractor and its on the forth rack half way down top self. or when replacing plugs in my boat they recommended a different plug then i wanted saying the older motors ran better with this one, and it was right it ran better on it.
Orielly's in Canton? That's where I tend to go, preferably early in the day though when the older guys are there. The one in Waynesville (not Hazelwood) is pretty good. Napa was good, too, but it closed, unless they moved to a different location. I've used the one in Waynesville a couple times without issue though.

Orielly's in Canton? That's where I tend to go, preferably early in the day though when the older guys are there. The one in Waynesville (not Hazelwood) is pretty good. Napa was good, too, but it closed, unless they moved to a different location. I've used the one in Waynesville a couple times without issue though.

Yep the one in canton. Waynesville is full of jackasses, canton didn’t have what we needed but Waynesville did and we needed it then, they had 35 on hand went and asked for it and he said they didn’t have any. Gave him the part number still didn’t have it. He called canton and then said oh it’s over here. I use cantons Orilleys only because i have an account set up there to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've figured out over the years that you just have to do your research and find the part number or model number you need before even walking into the store. That alone solves 99% of the headaches. Most of these employees don't have an auto background but think they do which is the most dangerous part. If you can just give them the actual part number off their site or one that is easily cross referenced, you're in the clear. Like needing a hydraulic filter for a Bobcat Mini X at 3pm on a Sunday and OReillys is the only one with something available locally. I found the Kubota (engine mfg) part # which referenced a Napa (store closed) part number which referenced another part number for the other stores suppliers and it was in stock at the local Oreillys. Walked in, gave part number, paid for part, Employee: "what is it going on anyway?" Me: "Bobcat Mini X" Employee: "tthanks for having the PN, we would have never figured that out".

That said, if I have the time, I typically will order from Rock Auto, Amazon or similar online vendors. But shit doesn't usually break when you have the time to wait for parts.

Miss Napa in Canton. Grew up with Steven and worked there as a parts runner in high school. IMO they had the best machine shop around back in the 80’s-90’s and Charlie was so good it seemed like he knew what you needed when you walked in the door.

Use rock auto, find what you need. right down the part number, walk into advance and ahnd them the part number and say I need 1 of these. They can do it. When they ask what vehicle say "I dont know, I mentioned I was coming up here to get some beef jerky and the boss asked me to pick this up for him."...sure you dont look like king ding a ling expert to the parts kid...but you get what you need and get on your way.

Did this exact thing earlier this week at OReilly's and the counter lady's response was "well you're easy" Can't believe my wife has been telling on me.

I spent 4 yrs working at Auto Zone, 3 of them as a sales manager. I could rant on for days about both employee's and customers of parts store's and we'd get no where. The one thing I have learned is that it's cheaper to shop online and I only go into the store if I'm impatient and can't wait.

if I don’t know what an FL-1a is in wix or purolator or Fram...I can plug it in the google box and come up with an answer in about 15 seconds at the shelf instead of waiting on the parts guy to free up.

It's not about that. It's knowing that a FL-1A threads right onto an AMC L6, no problem. That's not listed in the parts interchange.

It's not about that. It's knowing that a FL-1A threads right onto an AMC L6, no problem. That's not listed in the parts interchange.

Again...I'm going to say if you walk in to a parts store not knowing what you're dealing with, the job is probably over your head, and you won't know if said parts guy is right or wrong and could potentially screw you even harder. I tend to prefer to not leave things to chance. And just an FYI, if you google AMC L6 oil filter, in about 30 seconds I was able to go from 'AMC L6 oil filter' to Advance auto parts specs, to WIX parts look up, confirm thread size, flow rate, burst pressure and micron rating. It literally took me longer to type this response than to daisy chain my way to that answer.

Again...I'm going to say if you walk in to a parts store not knowing what you're dealing with, the job is probably over your head, and you won't know if said parts guy is right or wrong and could potentially screw you even harder. I tend to prefer to not leave things to chance. And just an FYI, if you google AMC L6 oil filter, in about 30 seconds I was able to go from 'AMC L6 oil filter' to Advance auto parts specs, to WIX parts look up, confirm thread size, flow rate, burst pressure and micron rating. It literally took me longer to type this response than to daisy chain my way to that answer.

Now do a Zamboni.

i will say, the CarQuest

They might have left $150 in caliper cores off my receipt, and told me just to bring them back after hours and leave them in the bed of one of the delivery trucks.

Now do a Zamboni.

Know many autoparts clerks that are zamboni experts, do ya?

or grey market equipment.. nevermind, anything for grey market is a challenge unless you know what it is on the white market.

Been dealing with that the last 6 months or so, converting cheap equipment that was bought second hand 10 years ago. Hired a couple heavy equipment mechanics, an electrician and a programmer (oddly no parts counter guys) to fix/re-build from scratch as needed. It was above my pay grade. Had a chiller go down for one of my 4500lb batch tanks a few weeks ago...I didn’t really know what I was looking at, but some of the ‘guts’ even looked hand made and any of the info we had was all in Japanese.

Know many autoparts clerks that are zamboni experts, do ya?

Been dealing with that the last 6 months or so, converting cheap equipment that was bought second hand 10 years ago. Hired a couple heavy equipment mechanics, an electrician and a programmer (oddly no parts counter guys) to fix/re-build from scratch as needed. It was above my pay grade. Had a chiller go down for one of my 4500lb batch tanks a few weeks ago...I didn’t really know what I was looking at, but some of the ‘guts’ even looked hand made and any of the info we had was all in Japanese.

No, and I’ve had to educate several so I can get the parts I need without either being scalped by Zamboni or having down time waiting on UPS or FEDEX to show and HOPE the right parts got shipped ( even Zamboni has issues )

Yes, I had to step back and assess what I was dealing with when I started working on the Zambonis ( I care for 4 Zams and 3 Olympia’s ) but wasn’t hard to figure out

Olympia’s are GM K1500 drive train in total with an ice machine body and chassis holding it together, easy enough.
Zamboni have several different engines available fortunately all but one of mine have VW 1.8L power one is Kubota 1.6L on propane. Fuel systems are a good time

The crux of the deal here is the current generation parts geek is unwilling to go outside the box to deal with anything that the box can’t look up directly.

1992 VW 1.8L has 2-3 different water pumps available, only one works for my application, getting the right one Has been a chore when the guy at the counter has no patience or desire to be helpful.
Yes I have the part number now

Anything from Zamboni has the part number scrubbed off or is packaged in a plastic bag

Dana 44 8 lug hub for a ‘92 Dodge W250 never cost $500, it does from Zamboni

Find me one in the real world. I only have certain resources I can work thru and I will not get my own money involved

No, and I’ve had to educate several so I can get the parts I need without either being scalped by Zamboni or having down time waiting on UPS or FEDEX to show and HOPE the right parts got shipped ( even Zamboni has issues )

Yes, I had to step back and assess what I was dealing with when I started working on the Zambonis ( I care for 4 Zams and 3 Olympia’s ) but wasn’t hard to figure out

Olympia’s are GM K1500 drive train in total with an ice machine body and chassis holding it together, easy enough.
Zamboni have several different engines available fortunately all but one of mine have VW 1.8L power one is Kubota 1.6L on propane. Fuel systems are a good time

Right...and that's what I'm getting at, you're not just walking in to a random parts store, picking the oldest guy in the store and saying I need this for a Zamboni and magically he's telling you 'get a hub from a 92 dodge'...and if he does, go buy a lottery ticket. You still had to do the leg work, you still had to train, and the only thing you're really saving is the stupid look on his face and having to answer 2wd/4wd next time you go in there...that is until the next thing you need that you haven't trained him on yet. In an autoparts store, sure you might get a guy that is good with 350 chevies and you might think that means he's awesome across the board, when in reality he'd fall on his face with a sbf...and that assumes you walk in there knowing a 3/4 race cam isn't a grind spec and know you should pass on 'that old guy'. And then you want to talk about the old guy knows how to use the parts book, awesome, but that's where I think you can probably beat the parts book with the internet. I actually rented out my 80-97 ford MPC's, electrical schematics, body books, OSI manuals, sourcebooks, etc to the Ford Dealer in Edenton for some local 'fleet' repairs they were doing for a few farms...their resources only went back 20 years. I showed them electronic/online sources that would be much easier, direct and faster than trying to translate the Ford lit, but in the end they wanted me to take their money, 4 months later got my books back.

Right...and that's what I'm getting at, you're not just walking in to a random parts store, picking the oldest guy in the store and saying I need this for a Zamboni and magically he's telling you 'get a hub from a 92 dodge'...and if he does, go buy a lottery ticket. You still had to do the leg work, you still had to train, and the only thing you're really saving is the stupid look on his face and having to answer 2wd/4wd next time you go in there...that is until the next thing you need that you haven't trained him on yet. In an autoparts store, sure you might get a guy that is good with 350 chevies and you might think that means he's awesome across the board, when in reality he'd fall on his face with a sbf...and that assumes you walk in there knowing a 3/4 race cam isn't a grind spec and know you should pass on 'that old guy'. And then you want to talk about the old guy knows how to use the parts book, awesome, but that's where I think you can probably beat the parts book with the internet. I actually rented out my 80-97 ford MPC's, electrical schematics, body books, OSI manuals, sourcebooks, etc to the Ford Dealer in Edenton for some local 'fleet' repairs they were doing for a few farms...their resources only went back 20 years. I showed them electronic/online sources that would be much easier, direct and faster than trying to translate the Ford lit, but in the end they wanted me to take their money, 4 months later got my books back.

We get it, your the best parts guy around and if someone doesn't believe that then they can just ask you.

We get it, your the best parts guy around and if someone doesn't believe that then they can just ask you.

Its really not as complex as some of you guys are making it. Quite frankly with all the DIY-ers, independent thinkers and research analysts here, I’m surprised so many would just walk in helplessly and take someone else’s word at face value. Face value belief isn’t a typical motif on NC4X4.

Last edited:
remember the old days when oil filters had an application chart on the box tab or back??

Its really not as complex as some of you guys are making it. Quite frankly with all the DIY-ers, independent thinkers and research analysts here, I’m surprised so many would just walk in helplessly and take someone else’s word at face value. Face value belief isn’t a typical motif on NC4X4.

I think the point you are missing isn’t that we are looking for “that guy” more that we have to deal with the person who only knows what’s in the box and in the box only and there is no outside the box.
That’s what I don’t like about the parts people now. I just handed you a part with a part number on it (belt) and you wanna know what it goes on. Doesn’t matter what it goes on, I want that belt.... and they persist.
Look back in this thread, it’s been said, a few times.

I think the point you are missing isn’t that we are looking for “that guy” more that we have to deal with the person who only knows what’s in the box and in the box only and there is no outside the box.
That’s what I don’t like about the parts people now. I just handed you a part with a part number on it (belt) and you wanna know what it goes on. Doesn’t matter what it goes on, I want that belt.... and they persist.
Look back in this thread, it’s been said, a few times.

I understand, the ‘gimme what I want’...aren’t the comments I’ve been targeting either. The topic I’ve been refuting are the ‘old guy with a parts book that has presumed tribal knowledge, I don’t’...and that you can avoid the whole dance if you walk in with the part number you need, then it doesn’t matter if the parts guy can’t think outside the box.

I didn't say it was complex and if you have a good parts store nearby there's nothing wrong with using them. Just because someone doesn't look up their own parts every single time doesn't make them lazy or helpless. I called to get a part just the other day, gave the info they needed and got the part on its way for me and it was correct when I picked it up. While I was holding the phone with my shoulder I could still take apart what I was working on. If I had stopped to search through the internet it would have taken longer than that phone call while simultaneously working on the part.

I am also one of the few that hate rock auto or similar for normal parts. Having a physical place I can walk into and get a warranty replacement right then without having to ship or wait to be shipped is worth it.

I typically deal with my advance #7359. Full of great people, who know what they are doing - they will even try to help me match up something if I need it. Now if they can't get it, I go to the dealership or online. Heck I'll usually let advance second source it for me so I can deal with them instead of company xyz if I should have any issues. Now that's service.

I didn't say it was complex and if you have a good parts store nearby there's nothing wrong with using them. Just because someone doesn't look up their own parts every single time doesn't make them lazy or helpless. I called to get a part just the other day, gave the info they needed and got the part on its way for me and it was correct when I picked it up. While I was holding the phone with my shoulder I could still take apart what I was working on. If I had stopped to search through the internet it would have taken longer than that phone call while simultaneously working on the part.

Agree...nothing wrong with that at all. This whole thread is kinda damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Ask if it’s 2wd/4wd, parts guy is an idiot. Answer all the questions and get a wrong part, parts guy is an idiot. Your scenario played out...parts guy ain’t so bad, had it been the wrong part though...

Back