I hate auto parts chain stores

All the parts stores around here know me by name now. Especially when I'm buying mid 80's chevy rotors and mid 70's Cadillac pistons. I usually don't look up stuff before hand as far as part numbers but just walk in with the year/make/model of the specific part I need. They've learned to not ask too many questions...

Ron's right. I did the advance Auto thing in college. The computer asks the question so they have to ask you to get to the next page usually, even if they don't it's usually better to ask because half the time the customer has no idea what year car they even own, but you can be damn sure if the parts wrong they'll be back bitching YOU sold them the wrong part.

Fwiw I look up my own parts then shop around online to see if I can get it local anywhere, then I go in and hand them a post it note with the number. The only issue I have with that is the local AutoZone who still demands a year, make and model and tries to look it up themselves. Of course I've now vowed to never darken the door of an AutoZone again since my power tour experience, that's a whole nother story, so that should never be an issue again.

wait...#1 you were on HRPT and we didnt hook up?
#2 Share the story please

wait...#1 you were on HRPT and we didnt hook up?
#2 Share the story please
Yea me and Dad long hauled with my 67 Fairlane and his 67 C10. I knew from your past thread that you were thinking of doing it, but never saw anyone else actually say they were doing it, or I'd have definitely looked for you.

His powersteering pump died at Bristol. Worked fine all morning from Martinsville, worked fine parking at Bristol. Got in to head to hotel after downpour and he couldn't steer, and they had us packed in like sardines. On a hill. In the rain. His truck has a 3 on the tree BTW. He thought it was due to belt getting wet with hood up in rain while we were getting out credentials punched because it started working before we get out of the lot.

We hauled ass to the hotel, I had no idea it had happened. I pulled into a gas station by the hotel and when he clutched in the power steering went away, it only works reved up.

I googled parts stores. There was an advance and AutoZone within walking distance in Bristol VA, but neither had the pump for a 92 Camaro, which is what his brackets came off. The AutoZone in Bristol TN had it though, 10 miles across town. His truck had manual steering until Christmas when we gave him the power stuff, bought from the advance we use at work.

I brought tools but not a t50 to get the pump off, a pulley puller, or a drain bucket, so we hop in my Fairlane and drive across town, dad drops $175 for everything. Go back and I start swapping in the parking lot, then the hurricane came. We set up a canopy garage and I worked in the rain.

After we got home I took the bad pump back to advance in an AutoZone box and they gave my money back for the warranty no issues. The puller threads galled, and the actual puller part was so loose I had to wrap it with paper towels to use it, so I took it to the local AutoZone (Fayetteville) where I was told they couldn't warranty tools from other stores, but if I drove back to Bristol they'd be glad to handle it for me. For a $30 tool. I didn't care if they just swapped it out or refunded, but I didn't want to be stuck with a tool that can't be used.

I have no intention of setting foot in an AZ again except to warranty parts I've previously bought. I do have a spare torx bit set now to throw in my wheeling or road trip bag.

Last edited:
As much of a headache as it probably was, that's a memorable experience right there.
We had a blast. Now I have a hot rod hurricane story to tell along with an entrance to Mason jar in Harlan wheeling in a hurricane story.

I don't know that I'd long haul again, but I fully intend to go on multiple legs of the tour next time it's nearby. We even talked about just following the tour and grabbing hotels near the events next time. The hotel tailgating is better than the actual event and we could skip the long lines of traffic to get into the venues, just cruise from town to town.

We had a blast. Now I have a hot rod hurricane story to tell along with an entrance to Mason jar in Harlan wheeling in a hurricane story.

I don't know that I'd long haul again, but I fully intend to go on multiple legs of the tour next time it's nearby. We even talked about just following the tour and grabbing hotels near the events next time. The hotel tailgating is better than the actual event and we could skip the long lines of traffic to get into the venues, just cruise from town to town.
Hell yeah! I'm all about that stuff. Any time spent behind the wheel of a trail rig/muscle car/hotrod is an immeasurable euphoria. Even if it's a short highway cruise, it's f*n cool.

I've got pics and video, probably start a new thread soonish to post that up. Anyone on the book of faces can look me up and check it out. Same profile pic as here, basically same name too, lol. Last name Capps.

2 barrel or 4 barrel?

The only thing Jeep about my Jeep, is body and frame. I have tried to stay with all factory stuff as much as possible, so I can walk in and get it. I just tell them what the part I am wanting is for, originally. That "usually works. Sometimes, I tell them to "step away from the computer" New folks look at me with glazed eyes. And when I say I need to go back to your hoses or to your brake lines and so on, they always let me. Helps too that I always get to know the guys behind the counter.
Now it's been mentioned several times about shopping amazon or rock auto and so on. I do too on a lot of things, but not all the time. Amazon or Rock Auto hasn't ever donated anything to me for a raffle or auction that clubs I have been in, for a fund raiser. ALL the parts places I deal with have. Also, a lot of my parts have a warranty, so when off somewhere wheeling, if a part fails, I am likely to be able to get a replacement part with no hassle.

Also, dealing with the local guys, I get to know them well enough so when I say (when they tell me how much) that's too damn high ( an actually joking, yeah us old farts do that), They always punch a few keys, and give me a better deal.

Is it me, or do all auto part chains websites suck?
Maybe I have been spoiled by Amazon, (and their site isn't great) , but to me I have a 50/50 chance getting a better experience in store. I honestly think the lack of a decent website is what will kill most parts stores....

Napa's is the absolute worst!!!!

I hate it for you guys. My local parts store is great. They were independent until a few years ago when the owner sold out to Walker (napa). It's not as great as it was because walker keeps trying to make them fit their model, but they are still way better than anywhere else. Need parts for your 1955 farmall? They've got them or they know what yoy need and can get them. They tracked me down an SAE, gates equivalent of a super small cogged European made belt for a German machine I have. Googling the part numbers I had came back with a belt that could only be ordered from Europe. They worked the phones for me and found the gates belt at their plant in TN. I think the key is finding the hometown place that doesn't employ any ol off the street hs kid. The youngest guy at my store is probably 35.

Is it me, or do all auto part chains websites suck?
Maybe I have been spoiled by Amazon, (and their site isn't great) , but to me I have a 50/50 chance getting a better experience in store. I honestly think the lack of a decent website is what will kill most parts stores....

Napa's is the absolute worst!!!!

yes they all suck.

and the pricing is crazy as well.

For my own junk, I’ll wait the 2-3 days to get parts from RockAuto or Amazon, saving the 10-15% difference in price even with shipping. Even with Advances “25% online coupon code” the part is cheaper and is a name brand part, not a house brand Advance junk.
I hate that Advance bought CarQuest as well.

haven’t set foot in an Autozone in i don’t know how long.

Oreillys just never really seemed to have game, and we don’t use them thru work, just don’t go

i will say, the CarQuest on Automotive Way in Raleigh has a damn good parts guy. Jim has been there for years, and knows how to find stuff.
plastic coolant housing for a VW 1.8L in a Zamboni, (92 VW Golf) had it on the counter in an hour on a Friday morning, $9 2 weeks ago
Gave NAPA and ORiellys the part number, “We can have it Monday” $25

My customer was supremely happy i was able to get the machine back up so quick.

I think the key is finding the hometown place that doesn't employ any ol off the street hs kid. The youngest guy at my store is probably 35.

That ended about 8 years ago where I am. When I was in my 30's I could go to at LEAST 3 "parts house" type small stores. The kind of places that were narrow but so deep you couldn't fathom what all they KEPT back there, because it seemed NOTHING had to be ordered.
All old guys
They started dropping like flys.
Some just closed. The last; swallowed by napa. All the old guys just retired.
I miss those stores. No "merch" area whatsoever. Looked much like a HVAC/Plumb/Electrical supply house. Big counter, stools, and just wall hanging merch/tools. You told the guy what you wanted, he came back from the catacombs with it, you fixed your ride.
These big chains have such turnaround you never get to know "the guy behind the counter"

At least it's this way where I am now, and it sucks!!

I hate it for you guys. My local parts store is great. They were independent until a few years ago when the owner sold out to Walker (napa). It's not as great as it was because walker keeps trying to make them fit their model, but they are still way better than anywhere else. Need parts for your 1955 farmall? They've got them or they know what yoy need and can get them. They tracked me down an SAE, gates equivalent of a super small cogged European made belt for a German machine I have. Googling the part numbers I had came back with a belt that could only be ordered from Europe. They worked the phones for me and found the gates belt at their plant in TN. I think the key is finding the hometown place that doesn't employ any ol off the street hs kid. The youngest guy at my store is probably 35.

That ended about 8 years ago where I am. When I was in my 30's I could go to at LEAST 3 "parts house" type small stores. The kind of places that were narrow but so deep you couldn't fathom what all they KEPT back there, because it seemed NOTHING had to be ordered.
All old guys
I miss those stores. No "merch" area whatsoever. Looked much like a HVAC/Plumb/Electrical supply house. Big counter, stools, and just wall hanging merch/tools. You told the guy what you wanted, he came back from the catacombs with it, you fixed your ride.
These big chains have such turnaround you never get to know "the guy behind the counter"

My dad and Uncles wanted to own such a store. All were car guys, dad the paid "pro" if you will.
Deep inside myself I've always thought the right place would be awesome to be apart of. I worked for a Dealership and a Aftermarket place. Neither paid great at my capacity at the time, but dang did I enjoy what I did.
On a nerdy side, I absolutely love digging up parts related and cross checking numbers given the right "tools" to use.
Nothing fustrates me more then a crappy web sight...."See welding vendor post".

On another note. With the gazillion number sequences ( nobody memorized crap anymore, and can't ) combined with the attracted age of the employee pool I completely agree with @Ron .
Patiently letting them help you by "helping" them do the clicky clicky often earns a mutual respect.
Mostly what I see are Young counter dudes trying their damnest to keep the Manager and you cool. All the while trying to earn some coin cause they were not going to flip burgers or bus tables. He or she is genuinely interested in autos but grew up completely different.
I actually have a couple dudes really interested every now and then on what I'm tinkering with. Mostly cause few of them has had any old school mentoring much less the acknowledgment of their piers for doing something worth while.

You guy s are all doing it wrong.
There is almost no need to ever talk to a chain store clerk for a part if you know what you need.
Virtually all of the major chains now let you order online and pick up in the store, AND most of them then allow using online coupon codes so it's cheaper.
I always look up what I need, order it online, then walk out the door to go pick it up.
I've even sat IN the store and ordered parts, then walked up to the counter to get them.

@Lizooki this would have been the solution for you.

This is what I do when I have time ... save lots of money. I have sat in the parking lot and ordered parts and waited for it to show up in store.
But God Have Mercy On You when they get it wrong .... I had the manager look me in the face and tell me it was the right part ( I had both, it was OBVIOUSLY NOT right)
and not bat an eye at the Advance on Patterson in Winston Salem.

I have a Samurai with Tracker/Sidekick parts, CJ parts, GM parts, European stuff, Nissan parts ...... At the very least, when getting parts for it I have a part number in hand.

At one time I had a buddy who worked at the one I normally go to and he was good .... and listened .... and let me help look.

All old guys

The little napa in banner elk was this way. I think they still had some inventory that napa didnt know about because they would do some cash deals on some parts that they didnt put into the computer. They would try their best to get what ever you needed but because of their short hours, and distance from any other napas they wouldn't be able to get parts they didnt have in store fast. So I mainly went to Boone to advance.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The Huge Napa on 68 at gallimore dairy Rd blows goat. They've got 10 to 12 computer stations and only 1-2 people at them. I would always end up waiting at least 20 minutes, then another 10-20 minutes for the parts to be pulled. I swore off going in there about 8 years ago.

I guess I never got the hoopla over these ‘old timer stores’. We have one in town that everyone raves about, Rouzers is the name...and sure, if you don’t know what you’re looking for or need diagnostic help, I’m sure it’s helpful for those that aren’t quite sure of themselves. But even walking in to the ‘old timer store’ with the part number you need, there’s not much benefit. But I’m also not the kind of guy to walk in to a restaurant and ask the server what I want to eat either, if I don’t know I’m hungry or what I want to eat...I’m not going.

I guess I never got the hoopla over these ‘old timer stores’. We have one in town that everyone raves about, Rouzers is the name...and sure, if you don’t know what you’re looking for or need diagnostic help, I’m sure it’s helpful for those that aren’t quite sure of themselves. But even walking in to the ‘old timer store’ with the part number you need, there’s not much benefit. But I’m also not the kind of guy to walk in to a restaurant and ask the server what I want to eat either, if I don’t know I’m hungry or what I want to eat...I’m not going.
Having a parts person seasoned enough to be able to know where to look, actually going in to the older paper parts books and knowing which book to look in or knowing the part manufacturer is worth his weight in gold.
In the industrial world there are so many variants as @Ron stated that knowing everything is difficult. A guy who pays attention enough to know that this ignition part is made by Prestolite or that master cyl was part of an Addco trailer brake system and knows a possible cross reference will go far.
You know how many different oil filters will cross and work in place of the one that is supposed to be on your vehicle ? The one they are out of the day you need to go out of town and haven’t done that oil change?

A GOOD parts guy knows these things.

I won't dog on the parts people, but sometimes it is funny.

I went into Advance Auto a week or so ago. I needed the washer/seals that go on the bolts for a oil filter housing on a 97 K1500 Suburban. When I told the kid at the register his face went completely slack. HE stood staring blankly at me for a few seconds, and I finally asked, "You don't know a lot about cars, do you?" HE said no then called the manager over. Turns out that no none but the dealership carries them, but the look on the kids face was priceless.

Having a parts person seasoned enough to be able to know where to look, actually going in to the older paper parts books and knowing which book to look in or knowing the part manufacturer is worth his weight in gold.
In the industrial world there are so many variants as @Ron stated that knowing everything is difficult. A guy who pays attention enough to know that this ignition part is made by Prestolite or that master cyl was part of an Addco trailer brake system and knows a possible cross reference will go far.
You know how many different oil filters will cross and work in place of the one that is supposed to be on your vehicle ? The one they are out of the day you need to go out of town and haven’t done that oil change?

A GOOD parts guy knows these things.

I guess I figure that’s my job to know, not somebody else’s. If I have to walk in to a store and rely on someone else to tell me what I want, it was above my pay grade anyway.

Edit...and the beauty of having a hand held computer in your pocket at all times is...if I don’t know what an FL-1a is in wix or purolator or Fram...I can plug it in the google box and come up with an answer in about 15 seconds at the shelf instead of waiting on the parts guy to free up. Strictly talking automotive, I have no idea what parts look up is on the heavy equipment side of things.

Last edited:
I needed the washer/seals that go on the bolts for a oil filter housing on a 97 K1500 Suburban
they are washers with an integrated seal right? You can get them there.. however they are included in A/C reseal kits. You just got to look through them to find the right size. BTDT, they are also used on coolant pipes that bolt down on some motors.

I thought they had a whole kit for that in the "Help" section...or is that just the o rings for the oil filter adapter?

I usually don't have much of a problem. I generally know what I need before I go in the store and only have a few people I'll deal with. If I'm doing some off the wall shit, I just tell them I'm fishing and they'll usually let me look through the system.

I do have to hand it to some of the younger guys that really care about helping. I brought in an alternator the other week from my RV. Wanted to test it. It physically wouldn’t fit on their machine so the young guy at Advance tried all sorts of stuff but it just didn’t work. We looked up all kinds of things to find a part number they could cross reference. Found one and bought it but it unfortunately wasn’t correct. He spent a lot of time and still didn’t get what I needed. But the kid was very helpful and tried. More than most. I previously stopped at auto zone and the guy there took one look at the alternator and said they couldn’t test it and couldn’t get a replacement. Didn’t even try and help. It may be because he already knew or he was just lazy and old and grumpy. I think he was lazy and grumpy.

Back