If you want or need a CDL...

You are still good. You are not getting paid to haul that item. What you do with that item once you arrive does not matter.
Thanks, this aligns with my train of thought. Obviously different officers might interpret it differently.

Now if you become a business then yeah you are commercial. But right now you are just an individual hauling his backhoe or bobcat from point A to point B.
Correct. So lets walk into the gray area. If I am working for Jonny's backhoe service, and Jonny is paying me to haul his backhoe, it is pretty clear cut commercial because I am being paid to drive and haul that load. If I am Matt's backhoe service, and I go to do a job, but am not charging for the transportation, and I am using my personal, non-company owned truck, then that should be non-commercial (all assuming under 26k, no air brakes, etc), correct?

Correct. So lets walk into the gray area. If I am working for Jonny's backhoe service, and Jonny is paying me to haul his backhoe, it is pretty clear cut commercial because I am being paid to drive and haul that load. If I am Matt's backhoe service, and I go to do a job, but am not charging for the transportation, and I am using my personal, non-company owned truck, then that should be non-commercial (all assuming under 26k, no air brakes, etc), correct?

Sounds like you're an idiot if you have a business but are using your personal truck for business things. But that's just me.

But I do it too 🤣

That is the way I would view it.
I really don't think thats how the IRS would view it though. If you are going to use the backhoe and yourself as part of the job, then it is a business and those are busienss assets and that is business time.
Unless you're doing backhoe work for a friend for free and not getting paid.
Or, maybe it is a "hiobby" and you have hobby expenses (cost of truck and transportation) that exceed and income made from said hobby in which caset he net is <$0

Sounds like you're an idiot if you have a business but are using your personal truck for business things. But that's just me.

But I do it too 🤣
This. Not only setting yourself up for all kinds of liability problems but an audit could really fuck you.

But I do it too 🤣
I really don't think thats how the IRS would view it though. If you are going to use the backhoe and yourself as part of the job, then it is a business and those are busienss assets and that is business time.
Unless you're doing backhoe work for a friend for free and not getting paid.
Or, maybe it is a "hiobby" and you have hobby expenses (cost of truck and transportation) that exceed and income made from said hobby in which caset he net is <$0
Ok, so now let's assume I am using my personal truck, grossing under 26k pounds, to travel to a place where I will get paid to do some work.

Ok, so now let's assume I am using my personal truck, grossing under 26k pounds, to travel to a place where I will get paid to do some work.

Would an '87 Corolla have accomplished the same? If yes, then you are OK. If you say no, because you had to carry tools or tow a trailer for the job....then the truck is part of the job, and is commercial. Commuting vs. working...

I was approaching it moreso from the standpoint of why not let the truck be a business tax write off and not just a depreciating personal asset.

I was approaching it moreso from the standpoint of why not let the truck be a business tax write off and not just a depreciating personal asset.
Have you seen truck prices? If a business asset appreciates, do you pay taxes on the gains instead of writing it off? :laughing:

Have you seen truck prices? If a business asset appreciates, do you pay taxes on the gains instead of writing it off? :laughing:
Technically... yes, you do. You do pay taxes on the appreciated value of an asset (when sold).
I'm sure everybody properly reports it when it happens...

Would an '87 Corolla have accomplished the same? If yes, then you are OK. If you say no, because you had to carry tools or tow a trailer for the job....then the truck is part of the job, and is commercial. Commuting vs. working...
Have you seen the stuff they do in 3rd world countries with 87 corollas? :laughing:

@jeepinmatt between me, you, and the NSA/IRS agents scouring this thread for targets I'm hoping you don't do your own taxes

Have you seen the stuff they do in 3rd world countries with 87 corollas? :laughing:
hell I've seen several used here in junkyards as pickups

You depreciate it through the business and reduce your tax liability.
..........and you pay the property tax as an expense of the business which reduces the bottom line of the earned income tax......sort of a win.

Back