Inclement weather driving: trail rig or tow rig?

In snow or ice, do you drive your trail rig or tow rig or grocery getter?

• Trail rig

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Tow rig

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • The grocery getter SUV

Votes: 24 49.0%

• Total voters
I drove my 2500 CTD to work today but since FedEx isn't running, I'm headed right back home...

When it snows, we take Lisa's ZJ out for fun and shenanigans. It has a TruTrac up front and a Spartan rear on BFG All Terrains. Even with the auto locking rear, it's just fine. No weird handling characteristics or anything.
Or I may just be a super awesome driver.

I drove my 2500 CTD to work today but since FedEx isn't running, I'm headed right back home...

When it snows, we take Lisa's ZJ out for fun and shenanigans. It has a TruTrac up front and a Spartan rear on BFG All Terrains. Even with the auto locking rear, it's just fine. No weird handling characteristics or anything.
Or I may just be a super awesome driver.

Last time we had serious snow here and my wife had to get to work, I drove my Duramax with highway tires. It was interesting.

Turbo lag, turbo lag, POWER! and all 4 tires spin and it shifts... then turbo lag...

Inclement weather driving: trail rig or tow rig?

None of the above! :shaking:

snowstorm.jpg

Drove my Stockish 4x4 Excursion Diesel to work this morning. Came back home after 2 hours as our office decided not to open at all. I had no issues. I will be out misbehaving tonight in the little yj... LSD rear dana 44 on 33s... Open front. For the reasons above... I don't want the Excursion to get hurt lol. The trail rig doesn't have heat and isn't exactly legal (or together currently) so I don't imagine I would use it unless shit was real bad lol

ARB's both ends (thanks @ECGS) ...my ram 3500 with LSD and a 6 speed is just too much truck to be trying to control in a slide. Got to work at 7:30, it's piling up now.
KIMG0258.JPG

God help us survive this blizzard

wbr0CG7.jpg

I'll take whichever one is handy. As my trail rig is also a DD i'll take it if the WK2 Trailhawk isn't available. I rather take the Trailhawk as my JK has a front auto locker but I'll take it knowing I have to be a bit more careful.

In the comfort department, they both have heated seats so my fat butt will stay warm in either.

Pretty much any of our 4 street legal rides. 3 out of the 4 are 4wd and I’ve probably got more snow driving time in the 2wd 1970 C10 than the other 3 combined. My wife’s F150 has a selectable rear locker and traction control so it’s probably the best choice if we had to go somewhere. My 2500 Dodge has a tru-trac in the back and a locker in the front along with mud tires so it’ll go but it’ll probably keep me on my toes driving it. The 90 Geo Tracker beater has already been in the ditch this morning when I went out to play around. Short little wheelbase is fun to get straightened back out once it’s sliding. Does good donuts in the culdesacs though. It’s also the one I don’t really care about damaging so it’s the most fun. Buggy has no heat, doors, or windshield so it’ll stay in the garage. 4 wheeler rips mean donuts but would be a cold ride to go anywhere though.

Should have drove the samurai with no doors or top but im a pussy in my old age

Took my 79 cherokee to pick up lunch. Not much fun. A little slushy but not slick. Took the golfcart out back but it wouldnt steer enough to have fun.

Just took the ole TJ out in the snow with no front side windows. Didn't die, and the rear detroit didn't allow for many donuts...

Took the Stuporduty over to Gastonia for an 11am appointment (that they called at 10:50 and cancelled :kaioken:).
No issues. Saw 2 FWD cars in the ditch at different places along the drive. I had trouble breaking traction during normal Accel and braking. I think an 8000lb truck with narrowish stock tires pushes slush out of the way better than a lighter vehicle. 275 wide tire is only about 30-40% wider than a typical car tire, but truck is about 100% heavier :lol:
IMG_20180117_112206.jpg

Once it freezes this evening, the Jeep would be the best bet because it's better at running in to stuff haha.

Last edited:
AWD V8 Explorer grocery getter FTMFW

bitch will donut like hell AND get up out of a ditch. Seats fold down and I can sleep in the back.

my 2500 dodge hands down. 35" toyo rt's and rear lsd. Have yet to see a day i couldnt make it in... damn it.

Back